Numpad galore

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 May 2014, 15:33

Following our never ending group build I've contacted various manufacturers to get prices, material availability and so on.

One of them (that I won't disclose just yet) seemed very interested in the project and they would be able to help us in the whole process. Talking with them we agreed that we could run a test "keyboard construction kit" for a numpad, and if everything goes smooth we could expand to a full keyboard. Price would be extremely attractive.

So if there's enough interest we could have a very high quality numpad with whatever layout we want. Being smaller we could even try to have the case CNC'd! It would be still a DIY kit, but you'd get everything you need, and the quality would be high-end. Also I may be willing to offer an assembly service if you need it.

These are the preliminary designs, but I'm not an avid numpad user so I'd like to have your feedback!

blanks of course could be anything.

Ideas? suggestions? impressions?

Jmneuv

02 May 2014, 18:25

I like the sidekick. I think it's important that the height/angle remains adjustable even if it's only through different feet. Also the outer borders should be very thin so you can edge it real close to your main keyboard.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 May 2014, 19:25

if we go CNC the side thickness would be around 3mm. with a layered design we could go almost flush with the caps.

Muirium
µ

02 May 2014, 19:31

What will the controller be? Fully programmable?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 May 2014, 19:35

to design the PCB I believe it would be $200 (one time), so for few pieces it's better to use a teensy. Like I said this would be still a DIY project. The difference is that you get all the pieces directly from the manufacturer and we don't have multiple shipping-to-me-shipping-to-you fees.

It might be possible to also have the piece assembled, but I we haven't talked about that.

Grendel

02 May 2014, 22:08

Hm, I would be interested in the 60% Companion (already got a hacked Scorpius-32), kit is no problem and I already have code for it if the CPU is AVR based. :) An option to have it all 1x keys would be nice. Personally I prefer the case flush w/ the plate (or where the plate would be if it doesn't have one) and as flat as possible w/ an optional mechanism to raise the back.

pasph

02 May 2014, 23:24

sidekick.
I really hope that manifacturer is EU based.

Madhias
BS TORPE

02 May 2014, 23:27

This is great, DIY perfect. I would be definitely interested in the 60% version, if possible with a big zero key. But probably it's better not to have one zillion of different wishes and desires, but a small great simple designed 'companion' just for testing reasons and of course every day usage!

photekq
Cherry Picker

02 May 2014, 23:50

If you decide to go down the CNC route let me know if you need any help with the case design. I'm happy to do it. Just give me a concept and I'll make it happen.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 May 2014, 00:03

pasph wrote:sidekick.
I really hope that manifacturer is EU based.
EU indeed
photekq wrote:If you decide to go down the CNC route let me know if you need any help with the case design. I'm happy to do it. Just give me a concept and I'll make it happen.
thanks that might be needed!

pasph

03 May 2014, 01:10

Un figlio di Albione suppongo ;-)

davkol

03 May 2014, 11:04

Awesome!

If the price is good and the thing is fully programmable, I'm interested in the sidekick (because it's just too cool) and two 5×5 to turn them into a compact split matrix keyboard.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 May 2014, 11:06

of course they are fully programmable and it should be also possible to have the plate that supports both 2u and all 1u keys

scottc

03 May 2014, 12:09

Most interested in the sidekick.

pyrelink

03 May 2014, 13:12

Sidekick absolutely.

Stabilized

03 May 2014, 23:14

Either would be great, but I am leaning to the Sidekick.

Would the long enter and the + be stabilized keys? And would have the ability to choose whether to have the layout of the num pad either way?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 May 2014, 23:17

yes the keys are stabilized. I should be able to design the plate so it can accommodate both layouts.

davkol

03 May 2014, 23:38

BTW what kind of controller would it use?

pyrelink

04 May 2014, 00:00

davkol wrote:BTW what kind of controller would it use?
Most likely a Teensy. Small, easy to fit, and plenty of firmware and resources already made for the ATMEGA32U4 chip...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 May 2014, 08:13

yeah teensy unless we find a viable alternative

Ascaii
The Beard

04 May 2014, 09:15

What about atmega8?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 May 2014, 09:25

indeed it might work, but I need someone who guides me thought the PCB

Grendel

04 May 2014, 09:46

Smallest AVR I would use is a ATmega16u2. You don't want to miss that USB module, V-USB is a PITA.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 May 2014, 10:02

would you be interested in adding a couple of knobs? (to change FN layer for example, or volume control or scroll wheel) or you'd rather keep it simple?

davkol

04 May 2014, 10:13

That would be super cool, but more complicated and expensive too, I'm afraid.

Muirium
µ

04 May 2014, 10:35

The smaller the keyboard, the greater the impact of extras like knobs would be. Probably a bad idea for a numpad especially.

I am intrigued, though, about putting maybe very small ones into a compact keyboard. Even nice flip switches could be very useful.

scottc

04 May 2014, 10:49

€4 eBay Pro Micro?

They have fewer pins than a Teensy (about 21 iirc), but that's good for even up to 16x5.

Muirium
µ

04 May 2014, 10:51

Have you tried using one? I suspect there's a catch… like incompatibility with the Teensy loader app, and being a general pain in the arse to flash.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 May 2014, 10:57

scottc wrote:€4 eBay Pro Micro?

They have fewer pins than a Teensy (about 21 iirc), but that's good for even up to 16x5.
does it have arduino bootloader?

scottc

04 May 2014, 12:25

Muirium wrote:Have you tried using one? I suspect there's a catch… like incompatibility with the Teensy loader app, and being a general pain in the arse to flash.
I've used one and it's fine. It's currently got Soarer's firmware on it, but I've also used hasu's TMK. It doesn't have a dedicated reset button, so you have to short the RST pin manually after the first flash. It's a bit tricky to figure out the first time, but IMO it's definitely worth it since it's much, much cheaper.

No teensy loader. But on Linux, it's as easy as:

Code: Select all

avrdude -p atmega32u4 -P /dev/ttyACM0  -c avr109  -U flash:w:gh60_lufa.hex
Same for Mac OSX. I don't have a Mac, but it would probably be trivial to reproduce a cross-platform Teensy loader-like GUI app to flash to it if people are really afraid of using the command-line.

I'm just thinking out loud here, maybe I should do that. :D
matt3o wrote:does it have arduino bootloader?
I think so, but I really am clueless about bootloaders. You can program it using both the Arduino IDE and with AVRdude directly, so I assume it does. I just know that it seems to work. :D

You can also replace it with the LUFA bootloader.

Return to “Workshop”