Plate and Case CAD starter kit

kapish

11 Jun 2014, 11:01

I'm not sure if anyone ever did this, but from my search seems like there isn't any. I came out with this "starter kit" CAD design when I was in the process of designing my own plate and case for hardwire keyboard. The CAD design is based on matt3o BrownFox CAD design (I hope you dont mind matt3o :) ), but I've added a few extra stuff just to make it easier for anyone without CAD background to start designing their own plate and case.

I just learn CAD in 2 days, plus another day to create this. Anyone who knows CAD and have better experience than me, feel free to edit the file and point out for any mistake.
I've uploaded the CAD file and video into my google drive

Here is the video example of making plate design, this is old video, I've added CAD design for making the plate other than Poker 2 size plate, in the lastest Stater-kit.dwg file.
Would a starter kit like this work for anyone without CAD design experience? I will post a quick guide later on.
I have printed out 1:1 scale, although my hand cutting technique is really bad.

Sorry that I still dont have my laser cut plate and case ready yet, still waiting for final quotation and confirmation from laser cut company
Last edited by kapish on 06 Aug 2014, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Jun 2014, 12:00

thanks for the credits, kapish. I'm actually working on something like that myself. Please note that the brownfox was just my second custom keyboard and it had some very small issues. The reference material should be flawless and needs some updates.

Also each laser cut service has different materials (there are many kinds of aluminum or steel) and different laser tech, so YMMV and what's good for one laser cutter might need some small modifications with another. This happened to me recently, on a service the 14mm switch hole was a bit loose, on another it was a perfect fit.

kapish

11 Jun 2014, 12:18

Noted. I will try to see if there's anything more that I could add or fix after my case is done, and any issue with the cutting. The laser cut company seems to be taking their own sweet time, I'm guessing their priority is with company instead of individual project.

If the end result is as it should, I will add step by step guidelines, and maybe throw in a few extra guide that I find useful during my building process.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Jun 2014, 12:22

If you can put them on hold it would be better if you could send them the updated version. I'll post the reference material as soon as possible.

kapish

11 Jun 2014, 13:41

Will put it on hold first while waiting for your reference material. Less expensive mistake to make

edit: I've actually found a similar thing ok GH, dont know how I missed it when searching before this. So mine is kinda pointless

abjr

21 Jul 2014, 18:58

kapish wrote: I've uploaded the CAD file and video into my google drive
A question for you guys. Looking at the starter-kit.dwg, I was a bit confused by the 6.25u space bar stabilizer positions as I see differences for the 6.25u space bar throughout the file.

For example, the top section with the reference points has the offsets as 47.65mm:
spacebar-stab-spacing.png
spacebar-stab-spacing.png (3.97 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
while further down I see offsets as either 40mm or 50mm; such as:
spacebar-stab-spacing2.png
spacebar-stab-spacing2.png (2.99 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
Is the 47.65mm offset a mistake in that example?

Also, these types of references materials are definitely very helpful as are the lengthy tutorials and build logs you guys have both posted here and on other forums.

-abjr

kapish

23 Jul 2014, 13:51

The spacebar slot were actually designed for costar stabilizer, which doesnt requires much precision similar to cherry stabilizer. Should have stated that, sorry though.

Return to “Workshop”