Hardwiring Leds to switches and teensy

HotKillerZzz

22 Jul 2014, 14:42

how do i go about doing this?

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2014, 15:48

Where are you starting from? Got a plate?

HotKillerZzz

22 Jul 2014, 16:12

Yah i have plates and switches. I already know how to wire them up. But i now want to add leds, How should i go about adding and connecting the leds?

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2014, 16:26

Depends on what you want the LEDs to do.

If they're all just for illumination, you could hook them all up together (with appropriate resistors) to the VCC and GND on the Teensy. Teensy's have a limit on how much power they can put out, so be careful how many and how bright you want to go. I'm no electrical engineer, so I'm just guessing you hook them all up in series, with a resistor at the end. But I could be wrong.

If, meanwhile, they're to indicate things like Caps Lock, then you need to hook them directly to the appropriate pin on the Teensy, with a resistor of their own. The pin and the function depends on the firmware you're using.

And if you're trying to do a lightshow like the Ducky Shine 3, etc., you'll need to make a whole separate matrix for the LEDs, and grab Teensy++ or something else with pins to spare!

HotKillerZzz

05 Aug 2014, 10:41

So It will illuminate constantly? Not able to only tap then lights up rite?

Halvar

05 Aug 2014, 11:10

I hope I don't sound rude, but could you please google "how to ask questions"? Your questions are quite short and unclear.

Muirium
µ

05 Aug 2014, 16:49

I doubt Google would help. Perhaps if you want to know "how to SEO?" then it would be more useful!

As for the answer, I said already. Each of those paragraphs is a different way to do it. You gotta pick.

Halvar

05 Aug 2014, 17:00

I accidentally know that googling this brings up a good article by hacker legend Eric Raymond. A bit dated, but still gets its point across.

7bit

05 Aug 2014, 17:18

Wait?
:?

esr knows how to wire LEDs up?
:o

kapish

06 Aug 2014, 20:39

Acording to rklm on his build
Positive lead of all LEDs were connected to one pin (the VCC pin on the bottom of the teensy, opposite the mini USB port)
The negative of each individual LED was connected to it's own resistor, and all of those resistors were connected together to the GND pin (also on the bottom of the teensy).
To figure out how many ohms your resistors need to be, I divided 400 amps by the number of LEDs I wanted to use, then plugged that into this calculator: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
lots of work, I gave up after caps lock and breathing LED, not worth the trouble :lol:

euf0ria

08 Sep 2014, 13:23

Have a look into shift registers, basically a chip that you connect to your teensy with 3 pins + V and G. then these registers can provide you with lets say 16 PWM pins for controlling a matrix of leds. Im about to dig deep into this when my build starts (very soon!)

Return to “Workshop”