I Built a Lazy Chair Workstation

lowpoly

06 Jul 2011, 19:48

For working in TV or lounge chairs (example), with your feet off the ground. You roll it in from the side. The monitor and keyboard are going to be lower finally.

That's a POM bar:

The vertical aluminum tube is a little bit soft. I may replace this with a more stable steel tube depending on user test. Keyboard ist a Keysonic wireless so you can take it off the tray and put it on your legs.
Last edited by lowpoly on 01 Jun 2018, 16:41, edited 2 times in total.

nathanscribe

06 Jul 2011, 20:01

Nice work. I'm guessing you're left-handed.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2011, 20:05

Pure win. I need one for my datachair. Well almost pure win. A Keysonic wireless and not a lowpoly guruboard? The depths you have fallen!

lowpoly

06 Jul 2011, 20:16

nathanscribe wrote:Nice work. I'm guessing you're left-handed.
Left-handed why? Regardless, you can flip it around.
nathanscribe wrote:Pure win. I need one for my datachair. Well almost pure win. A Keysonic wireless and not a lowpoly guruboard? The depths you have fallen!
:D It's not for me.

nathanscribe

06 Jul 2011, 21:18

lowpoly wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:Nice work. I'm guessing you're left-handed.
Left-handed why? Regardless, you can flip it around.
Just the way the base unit is to the left, that's all. I'm right handed and tend to have the base unit to my right - to the left feels awkward. Anyway I like the system. I'm surprised I've not seen anything like it before.

Ascaii
The Beard

06 Jul 2011, 21:35

this looks promising...will you have a locking mechanism on the keyboard joints? Personally it would bother me if it wasnt secured in position for typing.

lowpoly

06 Jul 2011, 22:24

nathanscribe wrote:Just the way the base unit is to the left, that's all. I'm right handed and tend to have the base unit to my right - to the left feels awkward. Anyway I like the system. I'm surprised I've not seen anything like it before.
I think it will be placed on the left side of the chair. There's not always enough space on both sides.

I tried to find a finished product but failed. One was almost OK but out of production and very expensive anyway. And you had to like hospital design.
ascaii wrote:this looks promising...will you have a locking mechanism on the keyboard joints? Personally it would bother me if it wasnt secured in position for typing.
I bought the arms as they are. The joints have Inbus bolts. You can simply tighten them. It's still on (brake) wheels though.:D

Speaking of "secured": I mentioned that the alu tube is a bit soft. Depending on how you type, the monitor can start to swing a little. This will get better when monitor and keyboard get to their final height. But I may have to replace the aluminum with something harder. I'm waiting for the "end user test" here because it may not be necessary in the end.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2011, 22:51

Ha, I figured out what was amiss with your photos. I'm gonna troll you with one word:

Cables.

Haes

06 Jul 2011, 22:51

looking very interresting :)

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2011, 23:06

I've been thinking for a while how to proceed my process of workstation minimization.
My current setup is still this:

The Datahand is made wireless with wireless usb and a big battery underneath the chair, so I can freely move about in the chair. The computer is not here, the cabling runs underneath the desk to the right, and up the wall to a small server room above this room. I no longer use the Datahand foot pedals.

I think I'll get rid of the desk. Hook up on or two monitors on retractable/adjustable arms on the wall. Maybe a little side desk, to put a beverage on and stuff like that. Get a better chair. I can lean back in it but its not really good quality. Get one with adjustable arm rests. Build in the internals of the Datahand in the arm rests.

nathanscribe

06 Jul 2011, 23:31

lowpoly wrote:Speaking of "secured": I mentioned that the alu tube is a bit soft. Depending on how you type, the monitor can start to swing a little. This will get better when monitor and keyboard get to their final height. But I may have to replace the aluminum with something harder. I'm waiting for the "end user test" here because it may not be necessary in the end.
I don't think aluminium need necessarily be the problem - I use some alu keyboard (ie, music not typing) stands from Jaspers and they're simple lightweight tubing - the grips are plastic and tightened with knurled knobs. Sturdy things.

lowpoly

06 Jul 2011, 23:35

webwit wrote:Ha, I figured out what was amiss with your photos. I'm gonna troll you with one word:

Cables.
:lol: The clips for the monitor cables are already in place. The keyboard won't need any. So its only 2x power and monitor signal. The PC power supply outlet probably is still useless with LCDs?

But of course I didn't ruin the photos with additional cables. :D
webwit wrote:up the wall to a small server room above this room
I'm jealous. Quiet with performance.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2011, 23:43

Yeah a few years back I was looking into quiet performance, looking into mods like water cooling, sound isolation, the works, and then I realized it was a lot of trouble with imperfect results. And that I almost never needed access to the computer accept for a few ports. Bought long cables for those and never looked back.

lowpoly

06 Jul 2011, 23:46

nathanscribe wrote:I don't think aluminium need necessarily be the problem - I use some alu keyboard (ie, music not typing) stands from Jaspers and they're simple lightweight tubing - the grips are plastic and tightened with knurled knobs. Sturdy things.
It depends on construction and material. The aluminum I got is not the super hard type, there is room for improvement.

Using 50mm tubing would have been better for stability but would have required adapters for the arms. A lot more work. So I have to solve this through material (if necessary).

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2011, 23:49

My computer :mrgreen:

Inside the 19 inch keyboard drawer...

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2011, 23:52

lowpoly wrote:It depends on construction and material. The aluminum I got is not the super hard type, there is room for improvement.

Using 50mm tubing would have been better for stability but would have required adapters for the arms. A lot more work. So I have to solve this through material (if necessary).
Is it a hobby project or do you do this kind of thing for a living?

lowpoly

07 Jul 2011, 00:27

webwit wrote:Is it a hobby project or do you do this kind of thing for a living?
Neither nor. Just a one-off project.

No LCD in the server rack?

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Jul 2011, 00:31

Actually no more server rack. I had some servers in there but moved stuff external one by one. It was getting kinda empty in there.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Jul 2011, 00:34

Is it expensive in material costs to build it from parts? It always amazes me how much these arms and workstation setups cost at professional shops.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Jul 2011, 00:36

lowpoly wrote:Neither nor.
Oh wait, I remember. You run peep shows!

Pylon

07 Jul 2011, 00:56

Hmm, reminds me of those things you see at some hospitals, where they mount a computer and/or laptop on a cart and stuff.

Input Nirvana

07 Jul 2011, 08:02

webwit wrote:I've been thinking for a while how to proceed my process of workstation minimization.

The Datahand is made wireless with wireless usb and a big battery underneath the chair, so I can freely move about in the chair.

Get a better chair. I can lean back in it but its not really good quality. Get one with adjustable arm rests. Build in the internals of the Datahand in the arm rests.
web-WIT!

A couple things:
-Still no progress on a smaller wireless setup?
-Internals of Datahand in armrests...any particular armrests and setup info on that?
-You had mentioned over a year ago on GH that you were talking with someone about making you a very special and unique keyboard...anything come of that?

lowpoly

07 Jul 2011, 12:35

webwit wrote:Is it expensive in material costs to build it from parts? It always amazes me how much these arms and workstation setups cost at professional shops.
Most expensive parts are the arms @ 56 Euros each (new on ebay). Total material cost is below 200,- . But I should have taken wheels with aluminum fenders.
webwit wrote:Oh wait, I remember. You run peep shows!
Not since they're illegal here. :D Would be not far from home, I live in St. Pauli.

I'm working on a robot right now. Can't say much about it, I'm waiting for our website update.
Pylon wrote:Hmm, reminds me of those things you see at some hospitals, where they mount a computer and/or laptop on a cart and stuff.
I've seen them, those are €€€.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jul 2011, 02:29

input nirvana wrote:-Still no progress on a smaller wireless setup?
-Internals of Datahand in armrests...any particular armrests and setup info on that?
-You had mentioned over a year ago on GH that you were talking with someone about making you a very special and unique keyboard...anything come of that?
I'm gonna have to disappoint you.

No, no, and not me :mrgreen:

Input Nirvana

08 Jul 2011, 08:20

DANG!

Ok, I'll breakdown and look more closely at the caseless Datahand. The smaller wireless is on the table as well for the wireless Alphagrip mod.

As for the "special" keyboard you were going to have constructed, I can''t read your mind, and it must be Top-Secert, so I'll let that one go.

Dang.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jul 2011, 23:39

The Datahand case is mostly a adjustable palm rest, there's not much inside.

You got the wrong guy, I am not constructing a special keyboard.

Except of course for the piezoelectric powered Datahand!

Input Nirvana

09 Jul 2011, 04:05

Piezoelectric webwit!

This arm rest, then add the Datahand finger guts at the end:
http://www.industrial-ergonomics.com/pd ... est-QS.pdf

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Jul 2011, 00:41

Inside a Datahand. A finger unit, a thumb unit and a small controller board (not visible). The dials and two rails on the side allow the finger unit to be moved back and forth and be tilted at various degrees. And there is a lot of air.

More here:
http://webwit.nl/input/datahand/parts/

Input Nirvana

10 Jul 2011, 04:19

There is no way I'm pulling my Datahand apart for this mod. Although the mod has GOT to happen.

I contacted Lynn, she doesn't have any finger/thumboards, old Datahands or chair mount kits, but has some other parts, none of which I think are needed for this. Maybe the rail that holds the finger/thumboards.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Jul 2011, 11:27

I bought an old Datahand earlier (not from Lynn) for modding and backup.

Return to “Workshop”