Has anyone ever hand-made a Model M wooden cover/back ?

idollar
i$

13 Dec 2014, 02:29

Hi,

I bought a piece of soft wood with the idea of making a cover/back for a model M. I still do not know if I will ever try it.
If you think about it, the plastic cover actually simulates two pieces: the outer one with a fixed slope and the inner one, curved. I thought that it may be possible to craft these two pieces separately to them glue them together in the "channel".
The inner part may be too fragile, so one may need a metal plate or similar underneath.

I cannot start this until the weather improves here in Germany, and who knows if I would find the time ... but I was wondering if anyone has ever thought about it.

One could even dream of a router to produce them ... so something like this could be replicated.

it may be only a couple of dreams ...

Cheers

fohat
Elder Messenger

13 Dec 2014, 04:40

Good idea, but I would try it with a hard wood since it will be cut and formed.

I have always longed for a good rich beige/brown keyboard color scheme since such a large number of desks are wooden.

idollar
i$

13 Dec 2014, 19:23

I am with you fohat.
I got the soft wood only to check how difficult the process would be. A dry-run.

I heard that someone made a model of the keyboard in blender. Does anyone knows if it is available anywhere ?

I am thinking of of building it in pieces that would join using typical wood joinery. Carving a single piece would be too difficult, expensive and probably frustrating.

I have olive wood at home also. Very hard. and nice when sanded and finished with oil. I got it for a different project but I may re-use it.

Do not get too excited about this new idea. If I miss something in my live is time ... lets see how it develops.

Return to “Workshop”