Alternative Alphabet keyboard project

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

10 Jan 2015, 22:24

I would like to build a custom keyboard (tenkeyless) with some additional rows to support a 40 character alphabet. The layout I have worked up at this point has 90 keys. I am a hunt and peck typist and do not want to access alternate layers or use modifiers to get to the characters I’m trying to type. For this project the Latin characters would be on an alt layer in the traditional qwerty layout. I have acquired a Unitek K-155 keyboard with what appears to be Cherry white switches to salvage parts from.

Fabrication is not an issue for me and I can solder. I have no background in working with code or microcontrollers but am confident that I could learn what is needed if pointed in the right direction.

This is my first keyboard project and I’m sure there will be a huge learning curve. I have been lurking for about a month and still don’t understand it all. If I can successfully complete a working example of this I’m sure there will be others to follow. For me this will be a proof of concept project. If anyone else has done a similar project I would really like to see how it was done.

Below is my layout in progress. It is based on how I envision my use of keyboard (typing text in an alternate alphabet). I am open to suggestions, advice, and such. There are several blank keys in the diagram that I would use most likely for punctuation. Thanks, in advance for any guidance you may have, Scott
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:04, edited 2 times in total.

Nuum

10 Jan 2015, 22:43

Are you sure you want to build and use such a big keyboard? You may be a hunt and peck typist right now, but that can change and then this keyboard would be way too big to touch type on. Even if you continue to hunt and peck I would consider this keyboard way too big and the keys even more difficult to find.
What is this alternate alphabet you are using?

Have a look at these two threads for the beginning, they might help you to get a good overview for what is needed to build a custom keyboard:
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/buil ... t5761.html
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/brow ... t6050.html

Welcome to Deskthority!
Last edited by Nuum on 10 Jan 2015, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

10 Jan 2015, 22:52

The overall size of the keyboard will be smaller than a ten key version so I'm not to concerned with the size. If in use it is a problem I'll tackle another version. Thanks for the links.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

10 Jan 2015, 23:35

The alphabet I'm toying around with right now is the Deseret Alphabet. It is a phonetic English reform alphabet. It's pretty obscure and has a very short and interesting history. I am also interested in the Shavian Alphabet. It's just a hobby to stimulate my brain right now and kind of goes back to my days as a kid wanting to write and decipher codes. Both alphabets have active hobbyists involved and there are a number of short books in print for both languages as well as a couple of blogs.

ullr

11 Jan 2015, 00:59

I wanted a keyboard for the Shavian alphabet, but my plan was to utilize the shift layer and the compose key for the ligatures. Unfortunately, Deseret appears to have minuscule and majuscule letter forms, which makes a compact layout more difficult. My concern is that a large keyboard would make it impossible to touch-type using the home row, as not all keys would be able to be reached.

Still haven't learned Shavian, unfortunately, but I still plan to.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Jan 2015, 04:23

I found the Keyboard Layout Editor today and used it to fiddle around with my idea. I never considered the impact color could have. I like my revised layout much better but it has got me to thinking about what more could be done. After honing in on this layout I came up with another thing I might want to include, like a second left hand ENTER key although it would mess up what I like most about the layout I have now, (the 40 alpha keys centered in the board). I tried to include the Glyphs but the Layout Editor couldn't display them. Kudos to whoever is behind keyboard-layout-editor.com, excellent tool for visualizing a project like this.
Thanks a bunch
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Jan 2015, 06:43

hey that's a really good link rsbseb. Nice layout editor!

:ugeek:

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Jan 2015, 07:08

Couldn't go to bed without tweaking the layout a little more to include a left hand enter key. My layout is up to 94 Keys now. I've got that many on hand to salvage from the k-155. I think I may very well go with this configuration. I also scaled down the Esc and Del keys.
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

12 Jan 2015, 07:17

well I like it but I could not work that way just because I'm used to ISO. I like your layout on the bottom right, I could see that becoming very productive. Why have a second enter key under save on the left? Backspace next to space is interesting.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Jan 2015, 07:33

I hunt and peck when I type. I often cross over to hit enter with my left hand and thought it might help alleviate some of my awkwardness while typing. It wasn't in mind when I started planning this out, it just kind of came to me. Save is another one of those ideas that came to me today, My background is in Architecture and I still do a lot of drawing. Over the years I have learned not to trust autosave. I figured a dedicated key would be handy. ;)
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Jan 2015, 07:37

Having a centrally located backspace has always been a desire of mine because I use it so often due to unintentional and double strikes on keys.

seebart

12 Jan 2015, 07:56

rsbseb wrote: I hunt and peck when I type, in part because of a neurological condition. I often cross over to hit enter with my left hand when I'm having issues and thought it might help alleviate some of my awkwardness while typing. It wasn't in mind when I started planning this out, it just kind of came to me. Save is another one of those ideas that came to me today, My background is in Architecture and I still do a lot of drawing. Over the years I have learned not to trust autosave. I figured a dedicated key would be handy.
ok see now I understand your needs a little better. I was baffled by the very "specific" layout. Your bottom row remindes me of a Japanese layout, although I have seen other users here "cluster" the spacebar area.
IBM_JX-JW_6343690_--_top.jpg
IBM_JX-JW_6343690_--_top.jpg (260.87 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
I never understood why the spacebar needs to take up so much space. It could easily be %50 smaller and still work. I have never trusted any autosave eihter, ever! That centrally located backspace idea of yours is really good!

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Jan 2015, 21:50

I spent a little more time refining my layout to get rid of the 5.5 space bar I wound up with. It is now a more standard 5u piece. I figured I could cut down the 10u bar I have but decided it would be easier to just but one. I also updated the color scheme to something more readily available and not quite so busy. I just need to decide on a case now. I have been looking around the forums for a little inspiration and am thinking about a very streamlined version of the Commodore like matt3o proposed, painted satin black.
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

macmakkara

13 Jan 2015, 15:43

I hope you have realized that where your hands are on this when typing?... Backspace is at pretty awkward position. Its pretty close to where left alt/win button is normally :/ Also left shift is almost impossible to use that far away.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

18 Jan 2015, 11:44

Although I rarely use modifiers you make some good observations, after looking at the wear patterns on my current keyboard I can see some issues with the backspace location in particular. I fiddled some more with the layout and think it might be better to add a row for the extra alpha keys and move the F-keys to the side. I'm giving this layout some consideration.
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

Nuum

18 Jan 2015, 11:50

Definitely looks better and more useable, the stepping of the keys is weird, though. Normally you have a 0.25u step from Q to A and a 0.5u step from A to Z.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

18 Jan 2015, 12:10

Not sure the stepping would by much of an issue with the way I type, but the stepping is an easy enough fix.
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

01 Feb 2015, 11:41

After numerous refinements and observing how I use my current keyboard, I have decided to run with the above layout. It may not be perfect but I have pretty much everything on hand to build it now. The color scheme will likely change and if I am not happy with it in use I will just tear it down and start over.

Thanks to facetsesame I will be hand wiring MX browns instead of tearing down the old Unitek I was going to strip for parts.

I have already torn down two rubber dome keyboards and will be using sections of their barrel plates and key caps/sliders to structure the layout. This may not be the most elegant approach but it simplifies things right now and keeps the cost way down. A few keys will need to be modified to work with my layout. All caps will be repainted for this build.

Initially I will be using a salvaged Logitec controller from a third keyboard and I will map the keys with third party software. There are 96 key total and few of them are redundant.

This will be my first attempt with a keyboard build and figure this will be a proof of concept for me to work out issues for a second build based on a 40 alpha key keyboard.

Thanks for the input and all the knowledge shared here in the posts and articles here at DK
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

Mal-2

03 Feb 2015, 00:46

rsbseb wrote: Although I rarely use modifiers you make some good observations, after looking at the wear patterns on my current keyboard I can see some issues with the backspace location in particular. I fiddled some more with the layout and think it might be better to add a row for the extra alpha keys and move the F-keys to the side. I'm giving this layout some consideration.
If you're going with six rows anyhow, moving the F-keys to the left like that makes PERFECT sense.

However, I should ask: are you running Windows? If so, the Keyboard Layout Creator allows you to use CapsLock as a completely different set of shift states, and there are 47 keys you can overlay in this manner, which allows you to have all 40 of your alternate characters as well as leaving seven keys (perhaps your punctuation) directly accessible. Doing this would allow you to use completely stock keyboards, though you might want new keycaps.

The downside? It becomes much more difficult to YELL AT EVERYONE.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Feb 2015, 06:15

this would allow you to use completely stock keyboards,

Well that doesn't sound like much fun. Actually I have worked with the layout creator and having to reach over to the number pad is not really what I had in mind, even for numbers. I started my build today and went totally off the deep end and decided to go with an ergonomic layout instead. Even though I'm not a touch typist I think that moving my hands in and out may be easier then the side to side hunt and pack technique I use now I will post pictures when I get the barrel plate completed.

Mal-2

03 Feb 2015, 07:35

rsbseb wrote: ..
this would allow you to use completely stock keyboards,

Well that doesn't sound like much fun. Actually I have worked with the layout creator and having to reach over to the number pad is not really what I had in mind, even for numbers. I started my build today and went totally off the deep end and decided to go with an ergonomic layout instead. Even though I'm not a touch typist I think that moving my hands in and out may be easier then the side to side hunt and pack technique I use now I will post pictures when I get the barrel plate completed.
I didn't mean to imply you had to use the number pad for anything. What I was suggesting is that you use CapsLock to temporarily switch the keyboard into your alternate alphabet. When you want numbers, tap NumLock to throw it back into normal QWERTY and type your numbers. This will allow the number keys to serve as letters, but only when you're in the alternate alphabet.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Feb 2015, 08:35

I see what your saying, I hadn't worked it that way. As far as using the caps lock for a layer that would be a problem for me as I use it for generating caps almost as much a I do the shift keys. This because of the motor control issues I struggle with. Doing a Shift+any key with on hand is usually not feasible. Two handed shifts are ok but some days I like to (and some times need to) type with just one hand. Loss of caps lock would be frustrating. In the board I started fabricating yesterday I actually have the Caps Lock in the very center of the board so I wont have to reach across with my right hand.

It sounds like I need to take a closer look at what the keyboard layout creator is capable of doing. In the meantime fabricating a keyboard that not only throws everything out in front of me to peck at but has some redundant keys in place to make the way I interact with it more comfortable has got me motivated to build.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Feb 2015, 08:54

The image below is more or less what I've started on. The angles and spacing are a little different than the one I'm building but I am using this image as a guide. Once I have it functional and get familiar with it I will refine the concept if I still like it and build an updated version. It's a little on the wild side and bigger than what most members here are interested in but it's a starting point for me to develop a keyboard best suited for me ;)
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

HzFaq

03 Feb 2015, 09:53

Looks good, it's been really interesting watching this evolve.

I'd question having the extra column between ctrl/shift/enter and QAZ (personally, I'd move the extra columns to the middle, either side of the split) and having the pinkies do so much and leaving the thumbs with so little to do, but it's your layout and you know your habits better than I do :D. Oh, space on one thumb and backspace on the other is pretty damn useful too ;).

Can't wait to see it built though, good luck!

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Feb 2015, 17:30

Pinky's? If i could use them for typing they would definitely get a workout :lol:

Actually I do use left pinky a little but not very much. Most of my typing is done with only 7 fingers, the three center fingers + thumb on the left and the three center fingers on the right with a heavy bias to the ring/middle fingers on the left/index on the right.

I'm sure this experience will identify some additional refinements

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

07 Feb 2015, 09:17

I have all the barrels mounted now and took the advise to move the punctuation to the center. I also modified the perimeter layout to be symmetrical. The barrels are mounted to the bottom plate of one of my salvage boards with ABS cement. Next I will cut the excess from around the key area and build up the perimeter and gutter areas with wood. This will form the top plate. I haven't decided on the final shape and profile for the board so it will probably be a couple of days before I cut it out.

There will be an intermediate plate below this one to hold the MX Browns. Followed by a bottom plate to conceal the controller and wiring.

Keycaps will likely be painted, engraved, and filled. I may however look into some cheap decals before committing the time to engraving.

* the A key is not fully seated in the picture because after installing all the keys I found one barrel out of alignment and had to cut it out and replace it. I dint want to risk having the key glued in permanent so it was just sitting on top of the barrel when I took the picture ;)
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

18 Feb 2015, 18:36

I started the process of drilling the substrate for my barrel plate today by using a small bit from the top to create center holes at each key location. It went pretty smooth and I only had a couple that wound up off center. The whole process only took about 15 min.

When I turned it over I saw what I should have taken as a bad omen. If you look at the pilot holes you can see that they are mushroomed and fuzzy. The board I am using is similar to MDF but it is not MDF and does not have as much resin in the product. It drills about as cleanly as you might expect cardboard would. I proceeded to drill the function row from the back with a larger bit and sure enough I made mess of things quickly. The top surface deformed and warped the ABS plate and I even knocked some of the barrels off. I don't have a picture of the destruction because after spending over an hour digging out the damaged material, leveling and re-gluing. I have it clamped down for the day to set.

It looks like I will have to carve out each hole with a Dremel tool which will be messy and time consuming. I should have stuck with the plywood veneer I had originally planned on. I figured this build would be more of a proof of concept for me to work through the learning curve on - Lesson learned. :oops:
Last edited by rsbseb on 13 Nov 2017, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

15 Apr 2015, 21:44

Just thought I'd share an update. I have decided to not continue with the materials I have been working with and instead go with a more standard production style assembly. The prototyping method I was using simply has to many compromises in it for me to be happy with the finished product. Above is a screenshot of the steel plate I am getting ready to cut. It will still be hand wired. The case will likely be wood but I am looking into another material I haven't seen used for a case yet as well.

Return to “Workshop”