AT conversion questions

Rotti

21 Jan 2015, 04:31

I am posting this question here as this forum seems to be more geared toward buckling springs with GH being more toward Cherry and Alps projects. Not that nobody over there knows IBM but seems be be more knowledge sharing on it here.

My plan is to obtain an IBM AT for ANSI conversion. I am not to worried about the bottom row and those mods, mostly just want a standard Enter, \, and Backspace. While I know this is very possible, my question is more on the numberpad area.

Can the two unit keys be converted to singles so it is a straight 4x5 matrix? I have looked at some pictures here and on GH, and it appears there are barrels and pads on the PCB, but the question is, do these pads return values to the controller to convert to scan codes?

Also, for this project would I want an xwhatsit controller, or would Soarers converter be acceptable?

This is my intended layout.

http://tinyurl.com/ow46jc5

jacobolus

21 Jan 2015, 04:51

You don’t need any built-in converter for an AT keyboard in general, just a passive AT-to-PS/2 adapter (and possibly one of those PS/2-to-USB adapters if your computer doesn’t support PS/2).

The numpad can definitely be a 4x5 matrix, but I’m not exactly sure how the extra keys get reported to the computer.

Rotti

21 Jan 2015, 04:53

jacobolus wrote: You don’t need any built-in converter for an AT keyboard in general, just a passive AT-to-PS/2 adapter (and possibly one of those PS/2-to-USB adapters if your computer doesn’t support PS/2).

The numpad can definitely be a 4x5 matrix, but I’m not exactly sure how the extra keys get reported to the computer.
While the physical plug adapters will allow the keybaoard to function, that won't give me the layout mods with the function layer.

idollar
i$

21 Jan 2015, 08:57

Rotti wrote: Also, for this project would I want an xwhatsit controller, or would Soarers converter be acceptable?

This is my intended layout.

http://tinyurl.com/ow46jc5
Hi,

I made lot of pictures to my AT. The pcb is in this post: http://deskthority.net/post200620.html#p200620

I can see that the number matrix is fully populated. I guess (it is only a guess) that a controller (xwhatsit or IBM) could read all the positions and produce an output. This means that the xwhatsit should (I am not sure) be able to produce an output. You will need to follow the capacitors to see how they wire to the connector.

Regarding Soarers, I do not know if the IBM controller produces an output for all the entries in the matrix. If the answer is no, the converter will not see it and thus it will not produce any output. In case of a positive answer, I would also check the TMK controller. The source code is available. You have a better chance to success if you can change the code.

Summarizing: I guess that you need to have the PCB in your hand to check the matrix and the output of the IBM controller to answer your question. I would ask xwhatsit directly.

I hope that this answer helps. It has not added a lot to your conclusions :-(

Cheers

Nuum

21 Jan 2015, 09:02

You can use Soarer's converter to remap every single available pad on the PCB! So yes, you can easily turn the numpad into a 4x5 matrix with a proper converter, I've done that myself.

idollar
i$

21 Jan 2015, 09:13

Nuum wrote: You can use Soarer's converter to remap every single available pad on the PCB! So yes, you can easily turn the numpad into a 4x5 matrix with a proper converter, I've done that myself.
Shorter is better ;-)

Nuum

21 Jan 2015, 09:31

As a kind of "proof", here you can see my F AT with some remappings done with Soarer's converter:
DSCN3478 Klein.jpg
DSCN3478 Klein.jpg (894.08 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

Rotti

21 Jan 2015, 14:14

Nuum wrote: As a kind of "proof", here you can see my F AT with some remappings done with Soarer's converter:
DSCN3478 Klein.jpg

Looks good. That is very close to the layout I was thinking of with the arrow keys below the num pad. How does that layout work for you?

For the physical swap does it just consist of removing stabilizer inserts and adding springs with hammers/flippies?

Rotti

21 Jan 2015, 16:30

Well this project might turn out to be happening sooner than I though. Just placed a bid on an F AT.

Edit: won that auction for $155 plus $16ish shipping

Touch_It

22 Jan 2015, 05:38

Grats on the win. To answer your question yes just remove the barrel inserts and insert a spring/flipper. As far as modding goes idk if you will need to source springs or not. Also as other people have said soarers converter should work. Another thing you may need is replacement foam if yours is bad. Maybe you already know this but I'd rather you be prepared now vs going wtf later on.

Rotti

22 Jan 2015, 14:32

Touch_It wrote: Grats on the win. To answer your question yes just remove the barrel inserts and insert a spring/flipper. As far as modding goes idk if you will need to source springs or not. Also as other people have said soarers converter should work. Another thing you may need is replacement foam if yours is bad. Maybe you already know this but I'd rather you be prepared now vs going wtf later on.

Thanks touch, I have plenty of foam, I made sure to get extra when I bought some for my XT.

Nuum

22 Jan 2015, 14:40

The layout works fine for me, the only problem I have is the placement of the Alt and Ctrl (Strg) key, I'll have to mod my F AT to a more modern layout some day. And as Touch_It said, you just have to add springs and hammers to the right barrels. If you want to add extra keys to the right and left to the spacebar you need two extra barrels. F AT's don't have stab inserts, they use wire stabilizers, so no need to remove them. You have to open the keyboard though to add springs/hammers/barrels.

Return to “Workshop”