Mod complete: Wooden Case including wristwrest for g80

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Aug 2011, 16:15

So I finally got around to finishing one of my many projects Iv'e had laying around...

A few months ago I saw this board on ebay.de and grabbed it, since it looked close to a cherry 3000 layout and I thought I could modify the case to fit a g80-3000 inside. Imagine my surprise when I finally got it and discoverey a g81-3000 in the enclosure! I had plenty of older g80-3000 boards but all lacked the win keys that the g81 had..meaning Id have some blank pcb showing if I just used the board...so i put the board in the shelf and forgot about it. In that time I managed to get about 120 new green switches from a fellow geekhacker in a trade for some old keyboards, since I wanted to have a full green board, I find the sound and feel of greens more pleasant than blues for day to day work.

A few weeks ago I got another batch of 15 boards from (censored), where I occasionally work in my semester breaks.
One of the boards was a newer G80-3000 LRNDE with winkeys. Yesterday I finally had the time and patience to work a little, so I did a few things:

removed MX clear switch tops from a g80-3000
removed MX Brown switch tops from a g80-11802
removed MX Black switches from a g80-3000
replaced MX Black switches on a g80-1851 with ergo clears (clear stem, brown spring)
opened up 115 MX Green switches
fitted said g80-3000 LRNDE with greens

Today was the cases turn, I had to do a few minor modifications to make the g80 fit.
I cut a hole into the bottom shell to change the position of the cable passthrough to match the drilled hole in the wooden casing. I had to saw a cable channel into the back of the wood case, since I couldnt use the drilled hole, due to the USB cable having an attached plastic nib to keep it from pulling out.

Ill have to dig through my boxes and find a set of nice doubleshots to put on her, im still hoping for the wooden key group buy over at geekhack ( http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?1933 ... eycaps%20)that input nirvana is putting together, hoping I can afford a full set of wooden caps for this babe, thought it looks like that will be an impossibility on my lousy student aid.

Enjoy the pics, sorry I didnt make more during the process but I was in the flow and forgot all about it...even had the camera and tripod set up^^.
Attachments
oh lookie a neat keyboard! I wonder what switches it uses?
oh lookie a neat keyboard! I wonder what switches it uses?
before.jpg (174.26 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
yuck! MY
yuck! MY
before_switch.jpg (145.22 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
much better =D
much better =D
Final.jpg (196.07 KiB) Viewed 4222 times

ripster

04 Aug 2011, 16:22

Nice!

Why did you open up the greens?
opened up 115 MX Green switches

guilleguillaume

04 Aug 2011, 16:24

I think it is a fantastic mod :mrgreen:

I only tried one Green switch in the Spacebar of the Filco that I got from Sixty. I actually like it since it feel something between blues and blacks at least for me.

The only thing I don't like at all is the size of the wood case, for me too big.

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Aug 2011, 16:32

i only needed the tops for the board since it used pcb mounted blacks.

7bit

04 Aug 2011, 17:16

Great mod!

I would remove the sticker and put Round 4 key caps on, once the become available!

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Aug 2011, 17:20

Both things Im planning on actually. Currently have a set old thick old cherry DS alpha keys on it.
The "sticker" is actually a thing metal plate glued to the wood, im still trying to figure out how to remoce it without scratching the case.

rouston

04 Aug 2011, 17:48

I want to sculpt it with a knife or a hatchet

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Aug 2011, 17:55

Next project should now be refurbishing your desk...

7bit

04 Aug 2011, 23:50

kbdfr wrote:Next project should now be refurbishing your desk...
I really love it when they don't know what they sell:
2 scht11 Biedermeier Jugendstil Louis Philippe Rokoko Barock Louis seize Heppelwhite Chippendale.jpg

mtl

05 Aug 2011, 01:06

Nice. Congrats on the all-green kbd. :)

Goly

10 Aug 2011, 16:17

A very nice mod, congrats

Return to “Gallery”