deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

mintberryminuscrunch

19 Jun 2013, 06:53

Firefox has some serious issues
uploadfromtaptalk1371617624649.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1371617624649.jpg (87.57 KiB) Viewed 4405 times

dondy

19 Jun 2013, 13:04

hmm, can't confirm that for "firefox" - looks like you mean firefox-mobile though?

*nitpick*...

Muirium
µ

19 Jun 2013, 17:01

Could that be Firefox OS? If so, there's a lot of fixing needing done on their end for the Internet as a whole. It's very much still in early development, last I heard.

Firefox renders DT so well that even the one-man PowerPC port – Tenfourfox – that I run on my G5 works just nicely. Ditto for both modern and ancient versions of Safari. Even my 2008 iPod touch does admirably. Nothing like above.

Acanthophis

26 Jun 2013, 01:34

I don't know if it's already been suggested.

In quotes, I'd like a direct link to the quoted post. Or implement the post permalink into the quote. But somehow subtle, like a little icon or so.

Is that possible with our forum software?

Muirium
µ

26 Jun 2013, 02:01

That'd be jolly nice, Acanthophis.

I find permalinks to other posts quite clunky by themselves. Sometimes you'll scroll to the wrong place in the page no matter what. Seems to need some fixing before getting automated use.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Jun 2013, 09:16

Try the icon next to the post time.

Muirium
µ

08 Jul 2013, 18:28

webwit wrote:Try the icon next to the post time.
Thanks Webwit. That's how I found individual post links in the first place. The mostly work just fine, but sometimes the view will be off and I'll wind up linking to an irrelevant post. I test them now before submitting. Next time I bump into an error, I'll post it.

By the way: when replying to PMs, I forever get the subject overwritten by my username. Any idea why? It happens essentially every time on my iPad (this commuter's computer of choice) and I know to expect it now and paste in the right one before sending. Something's up with JavaScript, says the non-web-developer. The subject is correct on page load, but gets replaced the moment I start typing my text in the main message box below.

Acanthophis

08 Jul 2013, 19:54

Na, you both misunderstood me.

I meant permalinks in quotes.
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (24.88 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
I'd like to have a permalink somewhere where I indicated in the example pic.

Often posts are not completely quoted and/or on previous pages.
When I like to read the whole post which another one quoted, I have to digg through the thread.

Something like this (permalink is marked):
Unbenannt1.png
Unbenannt1.png (52.27 KiB) Viewed 4309 times

That's what I meant.
Sorry I didn't phrase it so well :/

bhtooefr

08 Jul 2013, 19:58

I don't think phpBB can do that without mods?

The screenshot you provided is of a vBulletin forum.

Acanthophis

08 Jul 2013, 20:01

Acanthophis wrote:Is that possible with our forum software?
That's why I'm asking ;)

Muirium
µ

08 Jul 2013, 21:11

A little off topic: but I much prefer DT's look to that vBulletin forum's design. So clean!

The quote auto link is a good idea though.

Compgeke

08 Jul 2013, 23:01

It seems there is a mod for phpBB to allow that to happen, although I've never used it.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... nk_(qpbl)/

vBulletin does have some more advanced features such as that by default, but it's also quite expensive, whereas phpBB is free.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Jul 2013, 07:41

Muirium wrote:A little off topic: but I much prefer DT's look to that vBulletin forum's design. So clean! […]
+1

kps

14 Jul 2013, 20:17

When I try to upload an SVG to the wiki page here, it gives an Error creating thumbnail: /usr/local/bin/rsvg: not found, although there are numerous existing SVGs that display correctly.

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Jul 2013, 20:23

I updated some server software today, maybe it's related. There is a /usr/local/bin/rsvg-convert. I'll look into it.

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Jul 2013, 21:23

Can you check if it works now?

Daniel Beardsmore

14 Jul 2013, 22:32

Not working. ?action=purge has no effect: all you get is a generic placeholder image (but if you click the link to the actual SVG, it comes up fine).

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Jul 2013, 22:45

What about now? Rsvg was depracated, rsvg-convert is the same but requires an additional argument...

Daniel Beardsmore

14 Jul 2013, 22:48

Just add ?action=purge to the page URL from kps to regenerate the PNG rendering after each test. Once you see the same image as you get from clicking the link to the SVG itself, you're done.

In this case, I get: Error creating thumbnail: Cannot parse integer value '-h383' for -w

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Jul 2013, 23:42

Thanks, should be fixed now. Needs SVG image to be reuploaded.

kps

15 Jul 2013, 00:45

Yup, works now; thanks.

Muirium
µ

18 Jul 2013, 19:37

Bug: forum spy doesn't like long first "words", an image URL I posted in this case:
Deskthority forum spy • deskthority.jpg
Deskthority forum spy • deskthority.jpg (787.28 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
Spilling right out of the layout.

Topre Enthusiast

19 Jul 2013, 02:30

Yeah I reported this one a while back: http://deskthority.net/deskthority-rela ... t4261.html

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Jul 2013, 01:10

I'm a little surprised that phpBB doesn't support specifying a city with time zone, requiring manual switching of the forum in and out of DST. I'm still waiting for the IT industry to realise that this is the 21st century … (Moreover, why doesn't HTTP permit sending time zone details directly to the server for this very purpose?)

Muirium
µ

20 Jul 2013, 03:05

I believe Sir Tim (Berners-Lee) said unidirectional links were the most egregious oversight of his in the web's design. (You can follow a link forward, but not back. A fact misused by aggregators the world over.) But there are many more flaws in the stack, of course.

I'm not technical enough to even know whether HHTP contains time stamps. But if it does, I bet they're UTC and so interpretation is left to the host and the browser's locale.

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Jul 2013, 03:11

MediaWiki permits entering (e.g.) Europe/London, so it knows I'm in BST right now. phpBB isn't clever enough.

HTTP dates are all in GMT. MIME is interesting in that dates are in local time, but suffixed with the offset from GMT (e.g. +0100). Within the same time zone, all times in e-mail headers use local time, but you can still determine the time in any other zone readily. (MIME also uses English date strings in European order ("Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 02:10:27 +0100"), instead of culture-neutral, which is a bit messed up.)

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Jul 2013, 03:47

It can be done. But you know. phpBB is just these couple of guys. Hardly the "IT industry".
http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/mod_geoip2/

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Jul 2013, 03:53

My last dealings with phpBB indicated that the developers came from a country where crack is really cheap :) I don't particularly want to ever administer it again.

Muirium
µ

20 Jul 2013, 16:38

Muirium wrote:
webwit wrote:Try the icon next to the post time.
Thanks Webwit. That's how I found individual post links in the first place. The mostly work just fine, but sometimes the view will be off and I'll wind up linking to an irrelevant post. I test them now before submitting. Next time I bump into an error, I'll post it.
As promised: this link should go to ms264556's comment (currently at the very bottom of the page). But it does not, reliably at least. Try it for yourself. All the images in earlier posts seem to throw it off.

bhtooefr

20 Jul 2013, 18:48

That's likely related to JavaScript resizing/loading of images - the browser is satisfied everything is loaded, goes ahead and follows the fragment identifier... and then JavaScript loads the images.

Return to “Deskthority talk”