Round 5 and Round 6 kits for sale!

7bit

30 Apr 2015, 18:53

Black and red keys come next.
:-)

Data

30 Apr 2015, 19:20

Muirium wrote: Our each and every dreams…

Seriously, 7bit, c'mon with the Round 5 man. Forget those Cherry MX guys already! Have we not a Cappening going on here?
What does he mean by "Cherry MX" anyway? I don't understand the reference.

Halvar

30 Apr 2015, 19:43

There are two bots reigning over the 7bit warehouse. 7bot is of them. The other one... need I say more? :)

Data

30 Apr 2015, 21:04

Oh, is that the switch bot? Kind of cruel to mention that in here... :(

Anyway, thanks Halvar.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

01 May 2015, 00:01

7bit wrote: Black and red keys come next.
:-)
Excellent progresss. I can practically taste these! I relented and now have a Ducky Legend (I went with the reds, Mu!) and some of SP's modular display kits ready and waiting, not to mention the SPH repair kit for the daft 122, and the Uniteks...

I'll just sit tight and wait patiently :) And think about how far away those BFP blue alphas still are :mrgreen:

one0k

03 May 2015, 21:14

SPH/REPAIR ,HONEY/TKL,HONEY/TKL/BLACKRED
Anyone ordered same as me? and have u received the caps??:D
Anxious

Khers

03 May 2015, 21:17

I don't think shipping has started yet, but at least sorting is well under way

madereth

04 May 2015, 02:47

Given the sadism implied by the lack of pics, I'm imagining 7bit is also taking the caps from each order, putting them on an unplugged keyboard, and typing taunting messages to each recipient before boxing.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

04 May 2015, 15:17

XMIT wrote: I assume you mean http://www.ebay.com/itm/111646218546 . Who won it? I would need to work with them to get the color calibration right!
SL89 wrote: Yes and had I known it was on eBay it would be me! But alas, I missed it. It's just a very nice color way and a long time favorite of mine.
OT stuff about Data General Dasher colours:
Spoiler:
Well, gfghjgd. You can't be away for a second in this hobby! :o

I've not seen one in person, but I've tried... I got as far as asking an owner if he'd be interested in colour matching - no response of course :)

As it came up in PuLSE, I'd hoped to try BBQ and BFP, which sorta works, but I'm not entirely sure.
Under a direct daylight lamp:
Under distant miserable daylight (looks like BDH and BBJ):
What I should do is take pics against the actual BBQ keys now I have 'em...

From the various pics I've seen, it seems the originals may have been nearer Wedgewood and royal, but (as per a slightly controversially arguably misquoted set) have trended towards a greener hue in later years, if not quite teal, or, er, duck egg...

Anyway, my tip at the moment might well be BE and BBJ (cropped in the foreground - yes it's another recycled photo, sorry.) I'd say there's not a lot between BE and BFP though, but BE's slightly greenishness might work better with BBJ. You can just see BFP and BBQ too.. The caps on the right are Unicomps.
blues_1600.jpg
blues_1600.jpg (363.91 KiB) Viewed 6512 times

SL89

04 May 2015, 18:49

@facetsesame, I trust you with finding the juuust right colorway. Ik this is further off topic but after GMK ended up doing a custom color for the Triumph Adler set it got me wondering: does SP do custom colors as well? If we had a donor Dasher board we could just sample directly.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

05 May 2015, 22:40

SL89 wrote: @facetsesame, I trust you with finding the juuust right colorway. Ik this is further off topic but after GMK ended up doing a custom color for the Triumph Adler set it got me wondering: does SP do custom colors as well? If we had a donor Dasher board we could just sample directly.
I'd like to set up a base camp of sorts for pooling resources and planning towards this, but unfortunately I can't sit uninterrupted for the rest of the evening, night, early hours, follow morning, and staggered 3/4" pitch patterened face to do this. So.

SL89, your confidence is greatly appreciated, but honestly I don't trust me! I haven't seen one in person, and those I've seen on the internet seem to have yellowed (greened!) differently. Ideally it needs consultation with someone who knew them back then (as well as colour matching the bases of the caps ;D ). Looking at those eBay pictures, if I was going for a direct match BBQ might be just fine, and for the alphas maybe even a deeper blue...

SP can do custom colour matches, I was advised in October that a full set GB in a custom colour would be no problem.

Finally... does anyone know who won that Dasher D2 keyboard on eBay? No one seems to have stepped forward. I hope it's gone to a good home :)

spopepro

06 May 2015, 00:37

The computer history museum seems to have a Dasher Display in good condition:

http://www.computerhistory.org/collecti ... /102674418
http://www.computerhistory.org/collecti ... /102650916

I could ask if I could inspect their unit for matching, and if someone wanted to find me a color ring (maybe I could bribe massdrop to lend me theirs) I could put options up for people to consider.

mr_a500

06 May 2015, 00:54

I got a Dasher. It's yellowed, but the original colours - under the bottom of the keycaps - is unexpectedly more turquoise than blue.

Where's that colour calibration web page again?

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

06 May 2015, 23:03

spopepro wrote: The computer history museum seems to have a Dasher Display in good condition:

http://www.computerhistory.org/collecti ... /102674418
http://www.computerhistory.org/collecti ... /102650916

I could ask if I could inspect their unit for matching, and if someone wanted to find me a color ring (maybe I could bribe massdrop to lend me theirs) I could put options up for people to consider.
Thanks, that's a kind offer! If they open to it, perhaps I could arrange to send you the blues (either from my own set, or perhaps from SP directly - I've asked if they have them as the ABS rings are sold out at the moment). I think I'm already due to lend out my colour ring though so I'll need to check that first!

I'm not ideally located to visit myself unfortunately, I've asked the more local The National Museum of Computing though I don't think I've seen one there before (they could have one in storage though).
mr_a500 wrote: I got a Dasher. It's yellowed, but the original colours - under the bottom of the keycaps - is unexpectedly more turquoise than blue.
Why didn't you say so? :mrgreen: Is it a D1 or D2 with the rectangular case, or a D100/D200 with the curvier case?
I can also see about sending some colour chips your way!
You may also be able to help with auditing the Dasher layouts which I'm currently trying to compile.
mr_a500 wrote: Where's that colour calibration web page again?
Do you mean this? http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_P ... BS_colours

SL89

06 May 2015, 23:58

Facet, I was speaking more towards your diligence, as learned from the small example of the Honey Extra GB.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

07 May 2015, 00:20

SL89 wrote: Facet, I was speaking more towards your diligence, as learned from the small example of the Honey Extra GB.
You're very kind :)

As someone hopelessly obsessed with these who's been thinking about this on and off for a couple of years, it seems only proper to try to do it right. It would be silly, particularly just now with so many SA GBs going on, to rush something through. ...Actually I did try for a compromise a few months backs, but thankfully it went nowhere. Diligence indeed! :roll: :lol:

mr_a500

07 May 2015, 13:35

facetsesame wrote: Why didn't you say so? :mrgreen: Is it a D1 or D2 with the rectangular case, or a D100/D200 with the curvier case?
I don't follow these keycap threads (I've got no Cherry keyboards to get keycaps for - where the hell is the one piece buckling spring keycap group buy thread??)) so I didn't see this whole Dasher conversation until a couple days ago when I spotted the word "Dasher" in the Spy.

Yes, that recent Dasher D2 on eBay is mine... all MINE! Now before anybody says, "you robbed me, you bastard!" let me point out that I saw that thing the very second it was put on eBay. I was horrified by the lack of "Buy it Now" and had to wait around an excruciating 6 days for the auction to end. Then somebody posted the thing on Geekhack, damn them. Oh well, who's laughing now? Muah ha ha h.. I interrupt this laugh to point out that the damn thing is yellowed, some keycaps are chipped and all the foam pads are completely disintegrated.

The interesting thing is the top panel is metal.
facetsesame wrote:
mr_a500 wrote: Where's that colour calibration web page again?
Do you mean this? http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_P ... BS_colours
Yes, that's the one. I'll check it out soon. I'm off to the centre of Lake Ontario. If I don't get back to you, that means I'm dead.

AlexdeL

07 May 2015, 20:57

Could somebody please help me with this...I am a newbie in keycaps...

I am already DIZZY trying to find information about this keycap set (posted pic here)...

Do you have any idea who/where these keycaps are for sale (keycap copied from the space cadet)
http://keypuller.com/round-4-spherical-space-cadet/

Thanks...
Attachments
r4-kvad_-960x469.jpg
r4-kvad_-960x469.jpg (102.92 KiB) Viewed 5940 times

scottc

07 May 2015, 21:12

You can order a set of similar keycaps from 7bit's Round 5a, but they won't be manufactured for a few months at least. It's a large, ongoing group buy. Basically the same colours, except maybe a very slightly different grey. The profile (shape, height, curve between rows of the keys) is called spherical. On many other keyboards (eg. stock Cherry, Ducky, Razer, etc) keyboards are cylindrical in shape.

Check out the wiki page for Round_5a for available sets.

SL89

07 May 2015, 21:30

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_5a

That is the link btw!

I had the same issue and almost missed Round 5 myself, so i feel for you AlexdeL.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

07 May 2015, 22:13

Hi AlexdeL!

Your starting point for matching the keycaps in the pic is the Round 5a kit HONEYB/TKL/SPH.
This will be made in exactly the same colours as shown in the pic. The variations (language options, symbol modifiers, red escape) can all be found in kits on the Round 5a page.

There are two greys in use, so for the Space Cadet colours use the grey kits with SPH in the name (these are for keys in colour code GD). The other GREY kits use a slightly different colour (code GPA) - it's very similar but just about noticeably different IMO (I've seen colour samples). Good luck!

AlexdeL

07 May 2015, 22:20

I just fell in love with those keycaps when I saw them today!

spopepro

07 May 2015, 23:04

But be aware, scottc's "few months" would be an all time speed record for a 7bit GB. Far more likely is a much, much longer wait.

It's entirely feasible that my R5 order is still a "few months" from getting to me. It's ok, just as long as you know what you're getting into here.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

07 May 2015, 23:33

mr_a500 wrote: I don't follow these keycap threads
Fair enough! I've replied to you in a new Dasher topic in the Workshop instead.
spopepro wrote: But be aware, scottc's "few months" would be an all time speed record for a 7bit GB. Far more likely is a much, much longer wait.

It's entirely feasible that my R5 order is still a "few months" from getting to me. It's ok, just as long as you know what you're getting into here.
A fine point, it could even be a year or more, but if you feel this way AlexdeL (and so do I!), then it'll all be worth it in the end. It just requires some longer term planning!

ccc24

08 May 2015, 05:58

I say we get honeyB in production asap. Lately i have seen everyone and their brothers post SA profile interests checks :lol:

lefthandedspatula

08 May 2015, 06:04

ccc24 wrote: I say we get honeyB in production asap. Lately i have seen everyone and their brothers post SA profile interests checks :lol:
I agree. Hopefully we can get them before Christmas!

whitecitadel

08 May 2015, 14:45

I am still hoping for Round 5 before Christmas, I admire you optimism on Round 5a!

SL89

08 May 2015, 15:00

No rush for HoneyB. We are at peak SA (what with Retro SA, Hack'd by Geeks, and the other GH stuff as well as Round 5 itself landing soon) by the time HoneyB happens SA will be passe!

Data

08 May 2015, 17:29

SL89 wrote: No rush for HoneyB. We are at peak SA (what with Retro SA, Hack'd by Geeks, and the other GH stuff as well as Round 5 itself landing soon) by the time HoneyB happens SA will be passe!
NEVER!

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

10 May 2015, 19:36

The Honeywell colours are timeless! That's part of their magic :)

And the idea of something as extraordinary as Space Cadet being dismissed in that way... :o

I do wonder about the production scheduling though. 7bit should try to get his production deadline confirmed in 2-shot ABS.

Return to “Group buys”