Wikipedia refering deskthority wiki

macmakkara

30 Jul 2015, 20:20

I just realized that wikipedia is refering deskthority wiki at model F page :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_F_k ... ite_note-3

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Jul 2015, 20:23

Good, we deserve that. Especially people like me who actually work on the wiki! :mrgreen:

A proper time to pimp a recent addition me and Zts collaborated on:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Leopold_FC_660C
Last edited by seebart on 30 Jul 2015, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

macmakkara

30 Jul 2015, 20:25

I would work on it but don't really have much to give there :/ im just fixing typos if i happen to see one there.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Jul 2015, 20:27

I'm not criticising you macmakkara. You can fix my typos anytime. :mrgreen:

macmakkara

30 Jul 2015, 20:29

Yeah i realized that :)

Muirium
µ

30 Jul 2015, 20:43

Wikipedia's problem: where's the forum? Nothing for me to do over there but read!

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 22:40

Anyone got a correct photo for Wikipedia , the model F 122 listed is a model M not model F , i mentioned it in chat.

bhtooefr

30 Jul 2015, 22:57

Muirium wrote: Wikipedia's problem: where's the forum? Nothing for me to do over there but read!
There's talk pages on each article.

tactica

30 Jul 2015, 23:06

macmakkara wrote: I would work on it but don't really have much to give there :/ im just fixing typos if i happen to see one there.
Are you sure all your keyboards and switches are documented well enough there? There's plenty of stuff missing.

macmakkara

30 Jul 2015, 23:24

tactica wrote:
macmakkara wrote: I would work on it but don't really have much to give there :/ im just fixing typos if i happen to see one there.
Are you sure all your keyboards and switches are documented well enough there? There's plenty of stuff missing.
Hmm... propably... i happen to have 50key F and 50 key M here at the moment and 104 key F aka unsaver... but everything else should be there already.

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 15:57

bhtooefr wrote:
Muirium wrote: Wikipedia's problem: where's the forum? Nothing for me to do over there but read!
There's talk pages on each article.
Yeah, that's not the same. Wikis are focussed too close on the subject to keep me engaged. I prefer all the chatter around a given topic, rather than purging non-neutral point of view and all that. I'm no good at all at that kind of desiccated, cockshy writing.

zts

31 Jul 2015, 21:33

... different strokes for different folks :lol: . The wiki may be too "dry" and factual, often offering more precise or specific info, but it lacks all that unnecessary but socially entertaining and puzzling convos.

DT wiki may say something like:
wiki: the size of the Filco Minila spacebar is 3u.

That often translates this way in the forums:
Hairy_Potter_1337+: I’ve just got Manila ... WTF, the space bar is too short
Filco4evah: No, it’s not.
SuccinctFella: ^ what he said.
Filco4evah: ^ thanks.
BondJamesBond: It’s MINILA, not Manila.
Hairy_Potter_1337+: OK, extended the space bar to the left FN key. Still too short. BTW, when I removed one of the Key CAPS, it looks like some type of Mx Topreh Brown?
Filco4evah: No, it’s not.
Pay2post: I’ve seen them on eBay for 80 bucks ( free shipping).
WeakLink012: Frankly, the Minila sucks. Get yourself some Rayzzrr with Gateroffs.
BondJamesBond: ^ ???
SuccinctFella: ^ what he said.

Am I totally wrong? :lol:

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 22:46

True. But the wiki has no idea why you want to know the size of that spacebar. GH might be a bit more like your example — someone commending Razor and MX clones on DT would soon get verbally lynched! — but here you'd see a conversation develop around aftermarket caps or the benefits of thumb keys in no time.

zts

01 Aug 2015, 00:12

Muirium wrote: True. But the wiki has no idea why you want to know the size of that spacebar. GH might be a bit more like your example — someone commending Razor and MX clones on DT would soon get verbally lynched! — but here you'd see a conversation develop around aftermarket caps or the benefits of thumb keys in no time.
SuccinctFella: ^ what he said. :lol:

Ah, that's so true ... I just made up an extreme example. There are some, information-wise, wiki-like forum sections that are of an extremely high quality, like the Workshop -- hard to beat that one in terms of the usefulness of information. The "try before you buy" also an extremely useful section and maybe the most recognized DT characteristic -- it's worth joining DT just for that one. The News/reviews and Photos -- I use them quite a bit to collect at least some visual clues about the object of interest ... and so many times just seeing a keyboard's internal component part number or manufacturing dates, etc., could reveal so much about the keyboard itself. A thread in a forum could be totally insignificant, even negative, and, yet, just one individual post in it will make it indispensable. Reading/creating = wiki. Hunting for info/participating/creating = forums. Both serve a good purpose and the personal preference/bias decides where one spends more time. ... And on the matter of GH ... the site color scheme, the love for shiny things .. ah, some other time :)

andrewjoy

26 Oct 2015, 17:37

Sorry to necro , but is the table not incorrect on the wikipedia page ?

Internal stabiliser, listed as ( only in early models ) for model F and , No on model M

I would say its the wrong way around. Model F never had the internal stabilisers at all, and mid to late model Ms had the internal ones , but the very early ones had model F style.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”