Last warning regarding image copyright

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Aug 2014, 12:56

This is the last warning regarding images posted to the wiki that have originated from other websites, and that do not have the author and licence terms specified. Some of them are already collected here:

[wiki]Category:Images requiring usage rights confirmation[/wiki]
[wiki]Category:Images lacking attribution[/wiki]

Theses images were uploaded without the due diligence of identifying the author and confirming the terms by which they are reproduced at Deskthority.

These images, and all others I find, will be deleted if the correct author and licence terms are not provided.

Also, there is now a page where credit to external sources can be publicly recorded:

[wiki]Deskthority wiki:Acknowledgements[/wiki]

Findecanor

30 Aug 2014, 16:41

Doesn't anybody remember who it was who cut up a Brother buckling spring switch and took those shots?

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Aug 2014, 17:11

You mean K Tanaka's pics? I know whose they are, but I don't know whether anyone here can demonstrate that we have the right to use them. Some of the pics above have confirmed origins, but mostly because I've traced them back to a source.

Daniel

30 Aug 2014, 18:01

Maybe I can help with the Cherry MX animations: The creator is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3WvlPz1Zso
Also there's a reddit post linking to Lethal Squirrels geekhack profile: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... witch_gif/

I wrote Lethal Squirrel a PM over at GH, let's see if he' the same guy as the one who uploaded the making of video.

If he's not I'll try to contact him directly via youtube

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

30 Aug 2014, 18:46

Lethal squirrel at GH is indeed the one who made those gifs. I remember Ripster and him discussing it before rootw00rm.

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Aug 2014, 19:00

I already e-mailed Lethal Squirrel (rather than PM, in case he's got PM notification off or something) — I am assuming that we're allowed to use them, but I'd like to be conclusive, especially as he didn't upload them himself.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

30 Aug 2014, 20:12

I'm definitely guilty of uploading a few of the above.

One of the ones lacking attribution is from MouseFan
http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/image/N860-9201.htm

Daniel

30 Aug 2014, 20:37

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I already e-mailed Lethal Squirrel (rather than PM, in case he's got PM notification off or something) — I am assuming that we're allowed to use them, but I'd like to be conclusive, especially as he didn't upload them himself.
I remember that in one thread he said that he doesn't care, but that was long ago and I don't find it anymore. Let's just wait a bit :D

Halvar

30 Aug 2014, 21:01

I hope he answers. These animations are legendary, it would be sad to not have them.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Aug 2014, 21:22

Daniel Beardsmore

31 Aug 2014, 01:54

HaaTa wrote: One of the ones lacking attribution is from MouseFan …
This is my stock template for MouseFan that you can use:

Code: Select all

{{imagedesc
| description = 
| source      = {{URL|…}}
| date        = 
| author      = [http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/mousefan.htm MouseFan]
| licence     = For public, non-commercial use at Deskthority; used with grateful thanks
}}
(A recent update to Clipboard Manager in True Launch Bar lets me even caption my snippets, which was most welcome.)

7bit

17 Sep 2014, 20:16

These are safe to use here:
Lethal Squirrel gave us permission to use these. Just look at the Geekhack thread where he originally posted them ...

Wait!
:shock:

What is wrong with this one?
Uploaded by Sixty => no problem.

Except for the following images, everything uploaded my me, User:7bit, is my own work and needs not to be deleted!

I'm quite sure Muirium will not have anything against this:

I think this scan is from Sixty, posted here on DT:

These are from PrinsValium (bipiphany) posted in some Phantom thread:
Image Image

This is from HaveANiceDay and I'm quite sure he has nothing against it to be used in the wiki:
:ugeek:

Users gave permission to use them as DT headers, so why not in the wiki:
This goes for all files of the form: "File:Dashboard*"

Anything else is from me, so just write something that automatically adds
"Copyright by Desktority Club" or whatever you think is appropriate.
:-)

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Sep 2014, 21:06

7bit wrote: What is wrong with this one?
Uploaded by Sixty => no problem.
This is but one of the reasons why I like people to upload their own images, not have someone else go around uploading them for them. Some people here take it upon themselves to upload images belonging to another forum member, with or without permission, but frequently without any comment.

So whose images are they? The name recorded by MediaWiki as the uploader, is not the author of the image. You can't take the username in MediaWiki to mean anything.

The image sixty posted is on KBDMania (I found this because IIRC someone else on Geekhack is hotlinking it directly from KBDMania). Thanks to the useless URL format they use, I can't trace the image back to the forum post it came from. As such, I can't tell who posted it to KBDMania. sixty was very thorough with his watermarking, and that image is not watermarked.

I don't know what's going on. One guy has posted it here without any ownership details, another guy at GH as hotlinked it without bothering to credit the source, and I can't tell whose image it is and whether we're allowed to use it.

There have been plenty of images uploaded to the wiki that were stolen off other websites. That's the whole problem.

7bit

17 Sep 2014, 21:14

OK, then maybe we delete it and replace it by some images from Half-Saint or Ascaii. At least those 2 have one of these Dino-Alps boards.
:-)

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Sep 2014, 22:54

"sixty"'s picture illustrates that Filco badged them and gives the product name — the image serves a different purpose to the others that I've seen. It could only be replaced with another photo showing exactly the same box.

I didn't find Lethal Squirrel's usage post when I went looking previously.

bpiphany

08 Oct 2014, 19:57

This one is originally from litster, I believe.. I'm sure he doesn't mind, but someone really should be able to take a better picture. A picture where it actually looks black.
http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Phantom_PCB-Small.jpg

This one is mine, and feel free to use it. It's just a screen shot from gerbv.
http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Phantom.png

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”