The Deskthority wiki is dedicated to mechanical keyboards, mice and other human interface devices. The main focus is everything regarding quality (mechanical) keyboards. In the nature of a wiki, the content will be frequently and constantly under construction. Want to share your knowledge and help us create the best input device wiki? This wiki is part of the Deskthority forum - sign in with your forum account and start editing! There is no separate registration, and this is an open wiki. For discussions about the wiki, requests for higher wiki rights or changes/addons to the wiki engine, see the wiki subforum.
We currently have 1,149 articles, 9,205 pages and 27,807 edits.
Latest posts from the Deskthority wiki talk forum
- Findecanor (Mon, 10 Aug 2015 20:53:12 +0200) I'm too lazy to create a new thread, so ...I have traced the force/travel graphs of four Cherry MX switches from datasheets into the same diagram and uploaded here.That image has only the downstrokes of Black, Red, Blue, Brown and Clear Cherry MX switches, but I have traced also the upstrokes.I have also uploaded a comparative diagram for Clear and Brown.I made it in The Gimp, with each up/downstroke, numbers and grid in separate layers. Unfortunately, neither the Wiki nor the forum allows Gimp's XCF format to be uploaded. If anybody wants the XCF file for making another diagram on the Wiki, do send me a PM with your email address!
- zts (Sat, 01 Aug 2015 00:12:43 +0200) Muirium wrote:True. But the wiki has no idea why you want to know the size of that spacebar. GH might be a bit more like your example — someone commending Razor and MX clones on DT would soon get verbally lynched! — but here you'd see a conversation develop around aftermarket caps or the benefits of thumb keys in no time.SuccinctFella: ^ what he said. Ah, that's so true ... I just made up an extreme example. There are some, information-wise, wiki-like forum sections that are of an extremely high quality, like the Workshop -- hard to beat that one in terms of the usefulness of information. The "try before you buy" also an extremely useful section and maybe the most recognized DT characteristic -- it's worth joining DT just for that one. The News/reviews and Photos -- I use them quite a bit to collect at least some visual clues about the object of interest ... and so many times just seeing a keyboard's internal component part number or manufacturing dates, etc., could reveal so much about the keyboard itself. A thread in a forum could be totally insignificant, even negative, and, yet, just one individual post in it will make it indispensable. Reading/creating = wiki. Hunting for info/participating/creating = forums. Both serve a good purpose and the personal preference/bias decides where one spends more time. ... And on the matter of GH ... the site color scheme, the love for shiny things .. ah, some other time
- Muirium (Fri, 31 Jul 2015 22:46:40 +0200) True. But the wiki has no idea why you want to know the size of that spacebar. GH might be a bit more like your example — someone commending Razor and MX clones on DT would soon get verbally lynched! — but here you'd see a conversation develop around aftermarket caps or the benefits of thumb keys in no time.
- zts (Fri, 31 Jul 2015 21:33:26 +0200) ... different strokes for different folks . The wiki may be too "dry" and factual, often offering more precise or specific info, but it lacks all that unnecessary but socially entertaining and puzzling convos. DT wiki may say something like:wiki: the size of the Filco Minila spacebar is 3u.That often translates this way in the forums:Hairy_Potter_1337+: I’ve just got Manila ... WTF, the space bar is too shortFilco4evah: No, it’s not.SuccinctFella: ^ what he said.Filco4evah: ^ thanks.BondJamesBond: It’s MINILA, not Manila.Hairy_Potter_1337+: OK, extended the space bar to the left FN key. Still too short. BTW, when I removed one of the Key CAPS, it looks like some type of Mx Topreh Brown?Filco4evah: No, it’s not.Pay2post: I’ve seen them on eBay for 80 bucks ( free shipping).WeakLink012: Frankly, the Minila sucks. Get yourself some Rayzzrr with Gateroffs.BondJamesBond: ^ ???SuccinctFella: ^ what he said.Am I totally wrong?
- Muirium (Fri, 31 Jul 2015 15:57:45 +0200) bhtooefr wrote:Muirium wrote:Wikipedia's problem: where's the forum? Nothing for me to do over there but read!There's talk pages on each article.Yeah, that's not the same. Wikis are focussed too close on the subject to keep me engaged. I prefer all the chatter around a given topic, rather than purging non-neutral point of view and all that. I'm no good at all at that kind of desiccated, cockshy writing.
- macmakkara (Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:24:10 +0200) tactica wrote:macmakkara wrote:I would work on it but don't really have much to give there :/ im just fixing typos if i happen to see one there.Are you sure all your keyboards and switches are documented well enough there? There's plenty of stuff missing.Hmm... propably... i happen to have 50key F and 50 key M here at the moment and 104 key F aka unsaver... but everything else should be there already.
- tactica (Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:06:17 +0200) macmakkara wrote:I would work on it but don't really have much to give there :/ im just fixing typos if i happen to see one there.Are you sure all your keyboards and switches are documented well enough there? There's plenty of stuff missing.
- bhtooefr (Thu, 30 Jul 2015 22:57:17 +0200) Muirium wrote:Wikipedia's problem: where's the forum? Nothing for me to do over there but read!There's talk pages on each article.
- andrewjoy (Thu, 30 Jul 2015 22:40:58 +0200) Anyone got a correct photo for Wikipedia , the model F 122 listed is a model M not model F , i mentioned it in chat.
- Muirium (Thu, 30 Jul 2015 20:43:01 +0200) Wikipedia's problem: where's the forum? Nothing for me to do over there but read!