Aluminium Filco/Phantom Case - PROTOTYPE PICS IN!!!

photekq
Cherry Picker

15 Mar 2013, 01:23

I've already posted this on Geekhack but I'd love to get your opinions on it aswell.
I wanted to buy an aluminium case for my Filco, but I've heard bad things about the Vortex one and the MKC is too rare and expensive. So.. I decided to start designing one myself. I've never designed any product before and I haven't got any experience with CAD but since it's a very intuitive program I picked it up fairly quickly.

I have been aware of the Phantom for a long time now so I decided I would replicate the Filco's mounting system as best as I could in order to make this case compatible with the Phantom. I am also aware that many users want to use 7bit and winkeyless layouts but there are few cases available so they are unable to do so.

I have also seen various projects very similar to this, but they have never gone anywhere - there have been no prototypes, and the projects seem to have disappeared. I WILL be manufacturing this case IF the design is finished even if there is no interest from you guys. I was originally going to make this case just for myself, but I think I'll use this thread to gauge interest from you guys and maybe consider selling it if there is enough people interested.

At the moment the design is only in the very early stages. I have all the required measurements of the stand offs, screws etc but I haven't added them to the model at this point, and tweaks need to be made to the measurements of the top half of the case. The actual design isn't final either. I'm unsure whether to keep it as a simple 'wedge' shape like the Filco, or whether to make it a bit more fancy like cases such as the LZ-GH.

I would really love to hear feedback from you guys, and I'd like to know what kinds of features you'd like to see. I am going to find a way to make this compatible with detachable cables. I'll try my best to make simple housing that can accommodate a female mini-usb, but will double as a cable hole. That way it'll be up to the user whether or not to use a detachable cable. At the moment the board will be seated at a 6 degree angle, and I'd like to keep it that way. However, I'm open to feet if people are interested.

I want to make it clear that, since it's only in the early design stages, this case is not a sure thing. I'll be busy with exams until summer so this being done in my spare time. However, when and if the design is completed a prototype WILL be made.

Thanks!
topwinkeylessplate.JPG
topwinkeylessplate.JPG (91.42 KiB) Viewed 11370 times
topwinkeyless.JPG
topwinkeyless.JPG (50.83 KiB) Viewed 11370 times
top7bit.JPG
top7bit.JPG (49.47 KiB) Viewed 11370 times
standoffs.JPG
standoffs.JPG (61.58 KiB) Viewed 11370 times
sidenorm.JPG
sidenorm.JPG (131.46 KiB) Viewed 11370 times
redo.JPG
redo.JPG (34.06 KiB) Viewed 11370 times
Last edited by photekq on 28 Jul 2013, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

korne

15 Mar 2013, 09:48

I like the design.

I will buy 1 or 2 depending on price, colors etc.

BimboBB

15 Mar 2013, 10:01

Understand this will be more or less the vortex design (based on Filco TKL). In that case, pls keep in mind that the recent phantom plate GB (prof/winkeyless etc) will not work properly with this design. It will only work with the bended plates from original Filco & QFR.

Would be great if you could implement "something" which will make it work with these plates as well. Unfortunately i am absolutely clueless what has to be done exactly. Maybe its just some additional standoff? :?

Edit: Sorry, just ignore that. As you will have standoffs inside, it should work with the plates. :) Problem with Vortex case was that they came without standoffs at all.

Would be nice if there will be finished at least one Phantom-Case project. :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

15 Mar 2013, 16:45

BimboBB wrote:Understand this will be more or less the vortex design (based on Filco TKL). In that case, pls keep in mind that the recent phantom plate GB (prof/winkeyless etc) will not work properly with this design. It will only work with the bended plates from original Filco & QFR.

Would be great if you could implement "something" which will make it work with these plates as well. Unfortunately i am absolutely clueless what has to be done exactly. Maybe its just some additional standoff? :?

Edit: Sorry, just ignore that. As you will have standoffs inside, it should work with the plates. :) Problem with Vortex case was that they came without standoffs at all.

Would be nice if there will be finished at least one Phantom-Case project. :)
I'm replicating the stock Filco mounts so this case will work with the phantom. It's not a clamp design like the Vortex.

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Mar 2013, 17:27

I've decided to change the mounting. New plates will have to be made, and they will be screwed directly onto the case (similar to the KMAC). This will allow the case to be used with more keyboards (I believe it should work with any plate mounted TKL that has the same layout as one of the plates - there will be iso, ansi, 7bit etc), and I believe the mounting system is superior to stand offs.
Attachments
all.JPG
all.JPG (125.78 KiB) Viewed 11137 times
platebottom.JPG
platebottom.JPG (117.23 KiB) Viewed 11137 times
plate.JPG
plate.JPG (98.67 KiB) Viewed 11137 times

Grond

20 Mar 2013, 17:45

That's great, I've been waiting for something like this! I hope this is happening, and as long as it's cheaper than Vortex's, I'm getting one for my Filco.

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Mar 2013, 17:50

Grond wrote:That's great, I've been waiting for something like this! I hope this is happening, and as long as it's cheaper than Vortex's, I'm getting one for my Filco.
It depends on where you are in the world. I reckon It'll be around the £150-200 mark (including the plate and anodising), so if you're in the UK or western Europe it'll probably end up cheaper than getting the Vortex from the US and paying a packet on postage/customs. However, I can't say the same thing if you're in the US. Bear in mind that £150-200 is just a rough estimate. It could be cheaper or more expensive.

Currently adding the mount for the micro usb breakout board.
Attachments
2013-03-19 16.58.53.jpg
2013-03-19 16.58.53.jpg (913.89 KiB) Viewed 11127 times

dirge

20 Mar 2013, 18:28

photekq wrote:so if you're in the UK or western Europe it'll probably end up cheaper than getting the Vortex from the US and paying a packet on postage/customs.

You've no idea... was practically double with their shipping :'(

So this is 100% on then? No insult meant when I say this but so many cases have made it so far then evaporated.

Don't think I can take any more case dissapointment :(

Please consider this colour :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Mar 2013, 18:34

dirge wrote:
photekq wrote:so if you're in the UK or western Europe it'll probably end up cheaper than getting the Vortex from the US and paying a packet on postage/customs.

You've no idea... was practically double with their shipping :'(

So this is 100% on then? No insult meant when I say this but so many cases have made it so far then evaporated.

Don't think I can take any more case dissapointment :(

Please consider this colour :)
This is 100% on, man. Case is practically done. I just need to add the detachable cable housing, adapt the plate to other layouts like 7bit, iso etc and add a few finishing touches. Once that's done I'll get a prototype done ASAP, price it up and find a place to do the anododising. I'll make sure to get the widest colour range I can get, so that colour (or something fairly close) should be available. :)

dirge

20 Mar 2013, 19:55

Hope you can help with every custom keyboard case then as its the main part the community is missing :)

7bit phantom kb does need more love. although i am considering modding mine to an iso enter!

dirge

20 Mar 2013, 19:59

uk anodizing i found tricky, I'm from Newcastle and most of it was limited in colour. fingers cross mate, really :) I want my phantom to look like above :)

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Mar 2013, 20:02

dirge wrote:Hope you can help with every custom keyboard case then as its the main part the community is missing :)

7bit phantom kb does need more love. although i am considering modding mine to an iso enter!
I just hope this case turns out well. I want to achieve the premium appearance of the korean boards but, well, just a case. If this goes well then you might see some more cases in the future.

So far I have the following plates : ISO 1.25, ISO 1.5, ANSI 1.25, ANSI 1.5 and 7bit. If I'm missing any or you want a completely custom plate then let me know.. I'll see if I can design it.

I've already spoken to a few people about anodising. As long as I reach a minimum order it shouldn't be a problem to get a good range of colours accompanied with a good price.

photekq
Cherry Picker

21 Mar 2013, 00:44

Added the mount for the micro/mini usb breakout board.
Here's the mount at the minute. It's very simple, but I believe it will be perfect. Screws will hold the breakout board securely in place, there's a large hole for the connector to fit into but the hole goes from large into a shaped hole which makes it look nice and tidy. However, I'm considering removing the shaped hole in order to make this easily compatible with mini-usb.
Attachments
mount3.JPG
mount3.JPG (19.58 KiB) Viewed 11019 times
mount2.JPG
mount2.JPG (24.88 KiB) Viewed 11019 times
mount1.JPG
mount1.JPG (18.38 KiB) Viewed 11019 times

rindorbrot

21 Mar 2013, 23:38

I'd like to vote for an ISO plate with 1.5x modifiers and 1.75x right shift + 1x next to it.
Will you be able to do such plates even if they get only like 1 or 2 orders?

USB connector looks nice.

photekq
Cherry Picker

21 Mar 2013, 23:48

rindorbrot wrote:I'd like to vote for an ISO plate with 1.5x modifiers and 1.75x right shift + 1x next to it.
Will you be able to do such plates even if they get only like 1 or 2 orders?

USB connector looks nice.
I see no reason why not. However, if only 1 or 2 people order a certain plate then I imagine the price might be a little higher.

Jmneuv

21 Mar 2013, 23:54

Nice case, looking good so far.
dirge wrote:Image
Which board is that?

guilleguillaume

22 Mar 2013, 00:09

Jmneuv wrote:[...]
Which board is that?
It is the korean custom 356CL

Wraul

22 Mar 2013, 18:31

photekq wrote:
top7bit.JPG
Are you sure about that 7bit top?
I believe it shouldn't have separated section in the function key row.

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Mar 2013, 18:34

Wraul wrote:
photekq wrote:
top7bit.JPG
You're correct. I noticed it a few days ago and have since changed the CAD file.

Wraul

22 Mar 2013, 18:36

photekq wrote:
Wraul wrote:
photekq wrote:
top7bit.JPG
You're correct. I noticed it a few days ago and have since changed the CAD file.
Sweet. I'm definitely in for a couple cases. One of them would be 7bit layout.

BimboBB

22 Mar 2013, 18:46

Count me in as well. :)

Its just a bit sad that you canceled the standoffs which would have make the phantom plates working on this case as well. But okay, if it makes things more easier and cheaper I have to deal with it.

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Mar 2013, 18:58

BimboBB wrote:Count me in as well. :)

Its just a bit sad that you canceled the standoffs which would have make the phantom plates working on this case as well. But okay, if it makes things more easier and cheaper I have to deal with it.
I know it's a pain in the ass to have to change the plate but once installed it should be better. Also, this method supports way more boards. Virtually ANY TKL will work - including the phantom of course.

Jmneuv

22 Mar 2013, 23:58

guilleguillaume wrote:It is the korean custom 356CL
Amazing, the recessed footprint makes a world of difference.. so elegant. Can't find a picture of the underside.. should be interesting.

Is something like this exploding the manufacturing cost?

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Mar 2013, 17:31

I've now finalised the plate design, plate mounts and usb mount.

I had to change the usb mount slightly so that the breakout board comes into contact with a right angle instead of an 84 degree angle, but otherwise it's practically the same.

Changed the plate mount so there's space for screws etc.

Now I just need to do the following :

-Apply new plate design to other layouts
-Adjust 7bit and winkeyless top halves slightly
-Add small things such as places for rubber feet
-Add screwholes (I already know where I'm putting them and what screws I'm using. Just haven't got round to it yet.)

Once those things are done and I've triple checked the design I'll get a quote for a prototype!
Attachments
usbcross.JPG
usbcross.JPG (23.35 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
usbout.JPG
usbout.JPG (26.6 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
usbin.JPG
usbin.JPG (29.31 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
caseplate.JPG
caseplate.JPG (38.71 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
platecase.JPG
platecase.JPG (66.91 KiB) Viewed 10637 times

Acanthophis

23 Mar 2013, 18:09

Looks pretty solid, I like it!

rindorbrot

23 Mar 2013, 20:50

I'm excited for the prototype. I hope this goes well.
I also like the solution you attempt for the USB.

Half-Saint

23 Mar 2013, 22:43

I'm sorry, if I misunderstood but:
nobody in their sane mind will be getting a new plate for their Phantom just so they can fit it inside that case especially since that would involve doing a load of ddesoldering and then more soldering...

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Mar 2013, 22:51

Half-Saint wrote:I'm sorry, if I misunderstood but:
nobody in their sane mind will be getting a new plate for their Phantom just so they can fit it inside that case especially since that would involve doing a load of ddesoldering and then more soldering...
You didn't misunderstand the plate, however you have misunderstood the reason why I'm making this. I started designing this for myself, and I was not planning to sell it. If people are interested then I will sell it, but for barely any profit. This project is me, I want it to have a custom plate, and I'm willing to do the soldering (I quite enjoy soldering, and I'm sure there are a few out there who do aswell).
I am fully aware that most people would prefer to not have to do any work and have the standoffs, but at the end of the day this project is for me and I prefer this design and so I'm sticking to it. Besides, I have never seen an aluminium case that supports a 7bit layout, and I have only seen korean boards that support a winkeyless layout. Hopefully I'll be able to offer something unique.
Also this case isn't just for the phantom. Due to the custom plate this will work with virtually any TKL keyboard. This would not be so if I had stuck with the standoffs design.

Acanthophis

24 Mar 2013, 01:17

Besides, a lot of people participated in the Phantom GB Round 2.
Some of then exactly want what photekq is designing. ;)

rindorbrot

24 Mar 2013, 03:02

Yeah, I'm on the round 2 GB, too.
So I don't have a finished Phantom yet and I don't have a problem with the special plate.

Return to “Workshop”