CNC cutting sculpted keyboards

jacobolus

03 Jul 2014, 06:32

Cross-post from geekhack http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60196.0

I’ve been playing around with cutting some holes for Alps switches on a CNC router. I’m starting with MDF, but once I get a few designs figured out I’ll use some nice hardwood, cut the other side of the wood so there’s space for hand wiring, and make a bottom case as well.

Anyway, there are a few things wrong with this prototype: I forgot to rotate the switches for the 1x1.5 keys, the dimensions are just slightly too tight so I had to whack the switches with a rubber mallet to get them into place, and I don’t think the overall design is quite right yet.

But it was still a useful morning, and I think the general idea will work pretty well.

Front view:

Top view:

Side view:

With one of the switches removed so you can see the hole:

With a switch in the hole:

I used a 1/8" end mill to cut everything, because that’s the only tool I currently have. Before I get to producing a usable keyboard, I’ll probably get some other tools to cut the bulk of the material out faster, and make the final shapes with a bit finer detail.

I’d also like to see if I can cut keycaps.

Grond

03 Jul 2014, 10:07

This is a promising experiment, but won't switches mounted on wood turn out to be very loud?

Findecanor

03 Jul 2014, 16:46

Amazing that so many people are making new keyboards with a layout like the Japanese B-TRON keyboard.

jacobolus

04 Jul 2014, 06:04

I don’t think switches mounted in hardwood will end up especially louder than switches mounted on a metal plate, but we’ll see. (Also, I don’t really have a problem with loud).

Switches mounted in MDF seem to not make much noise, unsurprisingly.

jacobolus

04 Jul 2014, 06:04

Pictures from another run today:

Really needs tenting and/or more hand separation.

Return to “Workshop”