Help Needed Regarding Hand Wiring Nerd TKL

RoastPotatoes

01 May 2015, 20:38

I posted this on geekhack but have yet to get any replies. I need some help in getting my Gon Nerd TKL fully functional. These are it's currently functioning keys:
This was achieved through a small amount of hand wiring on the right side. But I have yet to make any progress on the left side. This leaves me with a sizeable amount of non working keys.

Here is the functioning wiring:
It's not that pretty but it does work.

And the side that is not working:

If anyone has any information to offer, I would be very grateful.

scottc

01 May 2015, 20:45

I find it really shocking that GON would ship a PCB that didn't work. Did you contact him about this?

Was it something that you did? Some of those joints look a bit "cold", could that be it?

Edit: It also looks like you've knocked off a couple of resistors and that some of the switches aren't all the way through...

RoastPotatoes

01 May 2015, 20:54

scottc wrote: I find it really shocking that GON would ship a PCB that didn't work. Did you contact him about this?

Was it something that you did? Some of those joints look a bit "cold", could that be it?

Edit: It also looks like you've knocked off a couple of resistors and that some of the switches aren't all the way through...
This wasn't Gon's fault this was mine. After soldering on all of the switches, I remembered that it came with a plate. So I de soldered everything and some pads came off in the process. There are two LED's that were knocked off after being soldered and their pads came off with them.
All switches seem to have resistors and diodes. Unless I'm missing any.

radish

27 Jun 2015, 06:18

wow this board looks like a disaster! my condolences, sorry for your loss. :(

RoastPotatoes

27 Jun 2015, 06:57

radish wrote: wow this board looks like a disaster! my condolences, sorry for your loss. :(
It is now fully functional :)

scottc

27 Jun 2015, 10:29

How did you manage to fix it?

RoastPotatoes

27 Jun 2015, 18:13

scottc wrote: How did you manage to fix it?
A lot of trial and error. There was a multimeter involved at one point.
These photos are almost in it's final state, but I think the wire came off the controller and had to be re-soledered. I felt quite accomplished after getting it working.

inanis

27 Jun 2015, 19:15

You should feel accomplished! I admire your tenacity.

Return to “Workshop”