Macro/Gaming Keyboard

beltet

15 Sep 2014, 17:30

Hey everyone!
I'm thinking of building a specific Gaming/Macro keyboard and want your input, otherwise it ain't going to happend.
I love to use 60% on regular basis, but when I'm gaming I sometimes need the F row seperate or MANY macros to do what I want. So the 60% ain't enough.

First of I'm thinking of getting one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130541363513?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I think I have read that it can take cherry MX switches?(Think I saw that Mirium posted it somewhere, and on geekhack aswell).
And does the keycaps fit on Cherry MX? Because I will print my own "legends" and need relegendable keycaps.
And anyone have an idea for a case?

Second is the pro micro(Teensy copy). The matrix would be 5x5 and then I need 10 connections to the pro micro, right?

The third is what firmware would be the most suitable for macros? I have used Soarers converter and the macro function is what I remembered in some sort of beta. Would like to test another even if I really like soarers otherwise.

Thoughts?

beltet

15 Sep 2014, 17:30

Got the plate and switches today (2014-09-28).

The switches are not that good. And the caps are not MX compatible :( .
But the plate is good, fits MX very well and quite sturdy. Guesses its aluminum. Because you can bend it with handforce.
And made primitive feets from motherboard standoffs.
Will start testing as soon I get my diodes in the mail.
Pictures:
Spoiler:
Got the diodes and started working on the matrix:
Spoiler:
Done with matrix, the first soldering are real bad... But It became better after I started to use solid wires that you can bend(yellow, blue, green) and some trail and error:
Spoiler:
Last edited by beltet on 25 Oct 2014, 00:30, edited 4 times in total.

vvp

16 Sep 2014, 11:53

Cherry MX are often used because there are many sources of keycaps for them. Even relegendable.

An AxB matrix will support A*B keys and needs A+B GPIO ports on your controller. Pro Micro (as well as many others) should do for your rather small 5x5 matrix.

Here is a firmware with macro and remap support too:
https://github.com/chrisandreae/keyboard-firmware
For a standard keyboard use, on the fly remap looks even more important than macros.

We use it for a different project. Though besides remap/macros we need also support for fibers. It is the only option (I know of) with these two featues.

beltet

16 Sep 2014, 23:43

I have ordered the plate and switches and see if the caps and plate function with Cherry MX.
vvp wrote: Here is a firmware with macro and remap support too:
https://github.com/chrisandreae/keyboard-firmware
For a standard keyboard use, on the fly remap looks even more important than macros.
Do the firmware support ATmega32u4?

chzel

16 Sep 2014, 23:55

Beltet, if you check the switches he has on sale (clicky) he specifies them as using a 14x14mm hole to mount, so the switches will 99% fit! Hopefully the relegendable caps will fit too!

And from a quick glance, the firmware vvp linked to does support 32u4 (aka Teensy 2.0, aka Pro Micro).
:mrgreen:

vvp

17 Sep 2014, 01:56

beltet wrote: Do the firmware support ATmega32u4?
Yes.

beltet

17 Sep 2014, 20:55

chzel wrote: Beltet, if you check the switches he has on sale (clicky) he specifies them as using a 14x14mm hole to mount, so the switches will 99% fit! Hopefully the relegendable caps will fit too!

And from a quick glance, the firmware vvp linked to does support 32u4 (aka Teensy 2.0, aka Pro Micro).
:mrgreen:
Thx for all the info! Will start working in it as soon it comes here.
vvp wrote:
beltet wrote: Do the firmware support ATmega32u4?
Yes.
Thx!

beltet

28 Sep 2014, 22:02

Updated build log.

chzel

28 Sep 2014, 22:08

Nice update beltet!
Pity about the caps, have you figured what is the incompatibility?
Are the cross slots to thin?

beltet

28 Sep 2014, 22:17

chzel wrote: Nice update beltet!
Pity about the caps, have you figured what is the incompatibility?
Are the cross slots to thin?
The cross slot seems to be the same size, cherry caps fits well on the switches. But the thickness is to wide and length are to short on the keycap stems. So the keycaps cant "get hold of" the stem on the switches before it make contact with the switches housing.
Please tell me if I was very confusing. May using the wrong terminology. :)

EDIT: For the curious, those blue switches are linear. And the caps are spherical.

chzel

28 Sep 2014, 22:25

So if I understand this correctly, the keycap's stem is too wide to fit in the square opening of the switch housing when you press the key?

beltet

28 Sep 2014, 22:26

chzel wrote: So if I understand this correctly, the keycap's stem is too wide to fit in the square opening of the switch housing when you press the key?
Thats correct! Thanks for the clarification! :D
The keycap stem is 7.26mm in diameter, the housing hole is 5.3mm

vvp

29 Sep 2014, 12:46

Maybe the key caps can be fixed with a small grinder/drill.
Other option (if you want Cherry MX) is to get relegable keycaps from e.g. from the link in this message:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=480 ... msg1026623

beltet

29 Sep 2014, 12:59

vvp wrote:Maybe the key caps can be fixed with a small grinder/drill.
Other option (if you want Cherry MX) is to get relegable keycaps from e.g. from the link in this message:
I thought about that but if I was supposed to grind it enough to fit the housing hole it would be to much...
The stems cross is to big and I would destroy the stem.
Thanks for the tip on that POS keycaps. Quite cheap per unit. I've seen that before but didn't know it was cherry compatible!
Will contact and see if there is a possibility if they can ship together with the Granite Round 2 extra kit.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

29 Sep 2014, 14:16

beltet wrote:
vvp wrote:Maybe the key caps can be fixed with a small grinder/drill.
I thought about that but if I was supposed to grind it enough to fit the housing hole it would be to much...
The stems cross is to big and I would destroy the stem.
Thanks for the tip on that POS keycaps. Quite cheap per unit. I've seen that before but didn't know it was cherry compatible!
Will contact and see if there is a possibility if they can ship together with the Granite Round 2 extra kit.
They can, you have so sweet talk Melissa to invoice you for what you want, but it can be done for sure ;) If you place the order on the site it doesn't work, the only way is with help from Melissa ;)

cookie

29 Sep 2014, 14:31

For what games you actually need macros?
I am asking out of curiosity because I game a lot and never felt the need for macro keys.

beltet

29 Sep 2014, 15:09

cookie wrote:For what games you actually need macros?
I am asking out of curiosity because I game a lot and never felt the need for macro keys.
I have problems with hotkeys in my favorite game company of heroes 2. The hotkeys are almost always one specific key instead of like ability 1 for all units is key "q".
And units have their own letter as well. So I will map units and the most used abilities on that keyboard.
And this is my first "from the ground up" keyboard and I want to learn about matrixes, controllers and software. And I thought this build would be easy to do and learn.
And just for the fun of it and see if it works ;)

beltet

21 Oct 2014, 00:01

updated the buildlog.

Return to “Workshop”