[WIP] OneHand - 20% Keyboard

scottc

31 Mar 2014, 03:03

Instead of a touchpad, have you considered a trackpoint? It would be easy to have a trackpoint in each module of the TwoHand, just outside the reach of the index finger. It would then free up your hands to be as far apart as you wanted (or rather: as far as cables/arms can stretch).

Also, if you're looking for DSA caps with legends, check out Matt3o's "granite" group buy: http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t7697.html

PJE

31 Mar 2014, 04:13

scottc wrote:Instead of a touchpad, have you considered a trackpoint? It would be easy to have a trackpoint in each module of the TwoHand, just outside the reach of the index finger. It would then free up your hands to be as far apart as you wanted (or rather: as far as cables/arms can stretch).

Also, if you're looking for DSA caps with legends, check out Matt3o's "granite" group buy: http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t7697.html
I was looking at Matt3o's group buy. I need to see which offer has the best combination. I need lots of 2x caps (6) and just the letters plus . , Alt Ctrl and two 1x Shift keys!

If you know of a good source for trackpoint modules I'd be very interested in making it fit... You'd probably need two ProMicro CPUs to have two trackpoint modules.

I'm going to lay out the OneHand PCB, and I'll leave a space where the trackpoint module can fit.

scottc

31 Mar 2014, 12:09

I took a trackpoint from a broken Thinkpad USB keyboard that I had lying around. This one is very convenient: you can use the original controller from the keyboard (which is quite small in this model) and it breaks out straight into USB which you could put in a hub. I hear that you can also get them quite cheaply from Thinkpad laptop keyboards, but I've never tried.

Vierax

31 Mar 2014, 12:54

Mono Legend sets FTW !

Trackpoint modules are hard to find, especially when you want new parts. The most approaching things are the little thumb joysticks and you can find some with analog feature with a central clicky switch, as in Dual Shock controllers (maybe useful to wire it to the left/right/middle clic)
I think that your trackpad will be more easily reachable with the thumb if it stands lower on the board. It may be 90° turned to fit contemporary wide screens, just a thought.

PJE

31 Mar 2014, 22:39

Vierax wrote:Mono Legend sets FTW !

Trackpoint modules are hard to find, especially when you want new parts. The most approaching things are the little thumb joysticks and you can find some with analog feature with a central clicky switch, as in Dual Shock controllers (maybe useful to wire it to the left/right/middle clic)
I think that your trackpad will be more easily reachable with the thumb if it stands lower on the board. It may be 90° turned to fit contemporary wide screens, just a thought.
I'm going to investigate the position of the touchpad when they turn up. I may end up mounting them in the original orientation.

I had previously looked at a joystick module but decided the touchpad was more workable.

Now back to looking for DSA keycaps...

Muirium
µ

31 Mar 2014, 23:05

Legends or blanks? A somewhat multidimensional question with this keyboard…

The obvious source for DSA blanks is:
http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/produ ... blank-sets

And:
http://www.keycapsdirect.com/key-capsinventory.php

PJE

31 Mar 2014, 23:11

Muirium wrote:Legends or blanks? A somewhat multidimensional question with this keyboard…
I'm going to try DSA caps with legends on the TwoHand design to mark the main function. Eventually blank caps, or the secondary function would be better...

Having decided to keep my shape as the V1, I'm now thinking of adding the option to use 1.5 wide/high caps on the inside bottom row with alternative switch locations.

I can see how custom mechanical keyboards become so addictive and costly!

mohitgarg

31 Mar 2014, 23:32

Peter did you get the case yet?

PJE

31 Mar 2014, 23:54

mohitgarg wrote:Peter did you get the case yet?
Not yet unfortunately. I'm looking forward to it. I have one last bare PCB, although I need to order some switches and caps.

I was working on the software over the weekend to make a common code for both the two versions, which should make the OneHand unit more usable.

mohitgarg

01 Apr 2014, 00:17

Tracking shows it is forwarded to a different address. I'll PM you the tracking number.

PJE

01 Apr 2014, 01:18

mohitgarg wrote:Tracking shows it is forwarded to a different address. I'll PM you the tracking number.
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Update: It was shipped to my old work address. Hopefully they are forwarding it to my new one. I'll contact them to make sure. I'm really looking forward to building it!

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2014, 19:17

Mohitgarg's OneHand case is very smart indeed! I received and built mine a few days ago, but the sun's missing in action over Edinburgh again, so this is the best shot I can post:
IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg (998.79 KiB) Viewed 6391 times
He sent me everything required to construct it: brass standoffs, bolts and even the Allen key! The black and white stripes were my idea and I think they've turned out nicely in acrylic. Thanks man!

Next up I need to fix some of my dodgy soldering to recover a couple of missing keys, and then I can learn how to use this wee beast! The feel is already good, nice and linear with MX blacks.

PJE

01 Apr 2014, 20:40

Muirium wrote:Mohitgarg's OneHand case is very smart indeed! I received and built mine a few days ago, but the sun's missing in action over Edinburgh again, so this is the best shot I can post:
IMG_0521.jpg
He sent me everything required to construct it: brass standoffs, bolts and even the Allen key! The black and white stripes were my idea and I think they've turned out nicely in acrylic. Thanks man!

Next up I need to fix some of my dodgy soldering to recover a couple of missing keys, and then I can learn how to use this wee beast! The feel is already good, nice and linear with MX blacks.
Wow! Very Nice!!!!

Now I'm eager to see how long it takes for USPS to redirect to my new office.

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2014, 23:21

Using a couple of short wires, I just fixed up my hardware problems without having to desolder the switches. My only remaining issue is the switch attached to (the dreaded LED) pin D6. Try as I might, I couldn't clean the pin and break the connection while everything else was still intact.

Any software way around this? Or is the clash with the Teensy's LED a battle to be resolved in hardware?

PJE

02 Apr 2014, 02:24

Muirium wrote:Using a couple of short wires, I just fixed up my hardware problems without having to desolder the switches. My only remaining issue is the switch attached to (the dreaded LED) pin D6. Try as I might, I couldn't clean the pin and break the connection while everything else was still intact.

Any software way around this? Or is the clash with the Teensy's LED a battle to be resolved in hardware?
Good to hear your getting closer.

I always removed the resistor next to the LED on the Teensy to break the connection and allow the switch to work as intended...

The other option would be to break the connection from the switch to D6 and then reroute it to one of your unused LED connections.

mohitgarg

03 Apr 2014, 06:52

I had one Teensy which I used up for something else, I do have a couple of Pro Micro's, any solution?

PJE

03 Apr 2014, 12:33

mohitgarg wrote:I had one Teensy which I used up for something else, I do have a couple of Pro Micro's, any solution?
I need to order a Teensy without the headers to make a OneHand with your case (still waiting for USPS). I'll order two and send one to you.

I'll also look at the pinout for the micro but I don't think there's enough pins for the current design.

I'm about 75% through laying out the PCB as a matrix keyboard using the ProMicro as the CPU. I'm still debating whether to use a square PCB or the shaped one. A square would allow the option of 1.5x switches for the bottom row (Shift, Ctrl, Alt) which many make typing easier. I've placed two switch footprints on each key to allow this. I've also placed two 1x switches over each of the 2x switches for maximum flexibility. If the two additional switches are not mounted on the PCB, an external switch can be added via two connection points on the PCB.

The PCB has a header at each side to allow the CPU to be left off a second unit and for the matrix to be scanned by the other hand's CPU, or both matrix PCBs can be scanned by a central (TouchPad) PCB...

Thus you can use 1, 2 or even 3 ProMicro modules to provide the processing! Each CPU also has the I2C connection to link in the same way as my current design.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish this PCB in the next few days.

Muirium
µ

03 Apr 2014, 12:36

Impressive. I like the way this is evolving. Both your and Kile's next gen designs are going to be quite something!

PJE

03 Apr 2014, 16:59

I've currently dropped the LEDs from the design - I'll see what pins I have spare to see if I can add one or more back at the end... With the various modifier combinations the need to select latched layer modes has been significantly reduced.

Does anyone know if blank 1.5x DSA caps are able to be mounted sideways without changing their look (each side of cap has the same slope).

Muirium
µ

03 Apr 2014, 17:01

I believe you're fine doing that. Being flat and symmetrical, DSA is pretty adaptable.

http://www.solutionsinplastic.com/pdfs/DSAFamily.pdf

The spec looks like you're good to go.

mohitgarg

03 Apr 2014, 20:48

PJE wrote:
mohitgarg wrote:I had one Teensy which I used up for something else, I do have a couple of Pro Micro's, any solution?
I need to order a Teensy without the headers to make a OneHand with your case (still waiting for USPS). I'll order two and send one to you.

I'll also look at the pinout for the micro but I don't think there's enough pins for the current design.

I'm about 75% through laying out the PCB as a matrix keyboard using the ProMicro as the CPU. I'm still debating whether to use a square PCB or the shaped one. A square would allow the option of 1.5x switches for the bottom row (Shift, Ctrl, Alt) which many make typing easier. I've placed two switch footprints on each key to allow this. I've also placed two 1x switches over each of the 2x switches for maximum flexibility. If the two additional switches are not mounted on the PCB, an external switch can be added via two connection points on the PCB.

The PCB has a header at each side to allow the CPU to be left off a second unit and for the matrix to be scanned by the other hand's CPU, or both matrix PCBs can be scanned by a central (TouchPad) PCB...

Thus you can use 1, 2 or even 3 ProMicro modules to provide the processing! Each CPU also has the I2C connection to link in the same way as my current design.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish this PCB in the next few days.
Thanks! Looking forward to finally building this little guy.

I would also recommend DSA, very versatile for such projects, you can even order the numpad and two more DSA frm their inventory two save costs from pimpmykeyboard.com (Another SP site).

PJE

03 Apr 2014, 21:39

mohitgarg wrote:Thanks! Looking forward to finally building this little guy.

I would also recommend DSA, very versatile for such projects, you can even order the numpad and two more DSA frm their inventory two save costs from pimpmykeyboard.com (Another SP site).
I keep going between blank and alpha keys. In the end I'll probably end up with more blank keys, as they're cheaper and the label can never be wrong... Not having LEDs under the keys will allow more choice in cap style.

I'll post pictures of the PCB when I get the initial layout nailed down.

I've looked into the case via USPS, but they have no schedule for delivering it - Hopefully tomorrow!

PJE

05 Apr 2014, 23:24

I've been working away on the V2 PCB for my OneHand/TwoHand keyboard. The functions provided by the PCB are:
  • Reverse mount ProMicro CPU module - $5 from eBay.
  • 5x4 Matrix keyboard with options for 2x keys (as before), option to use 1.5x keys for three keys on bottom row.
  • Connection to allow additional key to be added externally if 2x key is used.
  • Expansion header to allow a second OneHand PCB (without CPU) to be scanned by the first unit - The signals for the on-board keys are also taken to a header on the opposite side.
  • Two I2C sockets to allow units with CPU modules to communicate over off-the-shelf Grove cables.
  • PS/2 connection using Grove connector, to allow communication with keyboard or touchpad.
I've finished the layout of the PCB, and I'm now checking for silly mistakes...
OneHand_V2.png
OneHand_V2.png (49.32 KiB) Viewed 6254 times
OneHand_V2_Back.png
OneHand_V2_Back.png (47.57 KiB) Viewed 6254 times
I'm using a rectangular PCB layout due to the position of the I2C and PS/2 sockets on the back of the PCB, as well as allowing the larger keys at the bottom.

I also just received my three $3 PS/2 touchpads (eBay - salvaged from laptops) in the post this afternoon. I'm going to experiment with interfacing them to the ProMicro CPU - they only need the PS/2 standard 5V, 0V, Data and Clock connections. Once I've managed to get it working I'm going to draw up a version of the OneHand without the keys, with a wedge shape to hold the CPU, Two thumb keys, touchpad and have the I/O headers to scan two headless OneHand modules thus a 3 PCB system would allow a split staggered 40% keyboard with touchpad!

Now where's my soldering iron...

scottc

05 Apr 2014, 23:28

Wow, nice! I'm interested in these PS/2 touchpads - are there more available?

I'm also happy that you swapped the Teensy for a Pro Micro - I've got one of the €3 eBay clones around, and while it's not as easy as a Teensy the change in cost is pretty significant.

When do you think you'll order the PCBs? If you'd like to reduce costs by getting more of them, I'd love to get one and help out!

Muirium
µ

05 Apr 2014, 23:46

Again, I'm interested in this. And Scott and I live in the same windswept isles, which makes postage a little easier.

PJE

06 Apr 2014, 01:07

scottc wrote:Wow, nice! I'm interested in these PS/2 touchpads - are there more available?

I'm also happy that you swapped the Teensy for a Pro Micro - I've got one of the €3 eBay clones around, and while it's not as easy as a Teensy the change in cost is pretty significant.

When do you think you'll order the PCBs? If you'd like to reduce costs by getting more of them, I'd love to get one and help out!
If you do an eBay search for 'touchpad module' you'll see a number less than $10. I bought a few based on the Synaptics chip for $3 each with shipping, as there seems to be more documentation on the web for this type. There is a ribbon connection, but it's easier to solder to the test points to make the connection. Here's a link to some information.

http://sparktronics.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... o-ps2.html

The modules I received have t1006 chips, but I think they should be OK...

I will be buying a batch of the V2 boards in the next week or so. They are quick to produce, but as I'm from Yorkshire a place where people have deep pockets, but short arms, I'm going for the free shipping option which takes quite some time!

I'm going to make a V2 OneHand, a TwoHand using two PCBS, and a TwoHand+ with 3 three PCBs (using the same board as the center board). I may order 20pcb's this time to make more available to the community. The V2 design will also have the benefit of being able to use more of the off-the-shelf firmware available due to it's matrix format.

I just noticed I've left off the mounting holes!, which are going to be more difficult to located due to the additional wiring. Once I've added them I'm going to print some large scale prints to manually check - it's passed the PCB build/connection checks.

scottc

06 Apr 2014, 02:01

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much going on Irish eBay in the range of $10. I've got a load of old laptops under my bed so I've tried (and failed) to extract some from them. I'll try again later!

Being able to use existing firmware unlocks Hasu's TMK - sounds like a great plan. TMK can emulate mouse presses, too, so that could be really interesting to fool around with.

I'd definitely be up for trying out a TwoHand if you want to go with the larger order.

PJE

06 Apr 2014, 02:24

scottc wrote:Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much going on Irish eBay in the range of $10. I've got a load of old laptops under my bed so I've tried (and failed) to extract some from them. I'll try again later!

Being able to use existing firmware unlocks Hasu's TMK - sounds like a great plan. TMK can emulate mouse presses, too, so that could be really interesting to fool around with.

I'd definitely be up for trying out a TwoHand if you want to go with the larger order.
Try searching for the actual part number : 920-000241-02

USA eBay - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sy ... 2&_sacat=0

Irish eBay - http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p ... &_from=R40

I'm going to order 20 PCBs initially, together with the I2C connectors and cables, from Seeedstudio. I may even look at having them supply the PCBs with the connectors, diodes, resistors and Grove connectors in place - due to the small number of pins involved it may not be too costly!

Note: There are no LEDs at all on this design! I was looking at using an I2C display for status feedback if needed.

scottc

06 Apr 2014, 02:37

Good find! The I2C status display would be very cool also.

PJE

08 Apr 2014, 13:21

Mohitgarg's case has arrived! Very nice work. I'm looking forward to building it using my last V1 PCB.

Work on the V2 is coming along well, but as with anything PCB related I do my track OCD has kicked in. I'm also changing the I2C and PS/2 connectors from through hole to surface mount as this will allow simpler routing on the opposite side. Finally, I'm changing the pins used by the PS/2 socket to allow an interrupt driven software interface - more than likely this socket will be the serial RX&TX, allowing it to be used as a serial link if needed. I'm also making sure the keyboard matrix is as logical as possible, which will not be easy given the current 5x8 matrix and the scattered I/O arrangement on the ProMicro.

Return to “Workshop”