Soarers Mod (or NKRO on USB from PS/2)

RougeRambo

01 Jun 2012, 01:23

I have heard a little about soarers MOD, but i would appreciate if someone could link me to or outline a guide of it, also im generally looking for a way to get 6+ or even full NKRO on my IBM model via USB, is this do able if so what are my options and which way is cheapest/easiest? thanks all

p.s would these methods work on other ps/2 keyboards or even normal usb keyboards?

Soarer

01 Jun 2012, 03:11

Hey, you missed the all important letter after 'model'!

My converter can't change the basic capabilities of the keyboard, so an 'F' will have NKRO, but an 'M' will still only have 2KRO. The same is true for other PS/2 keyboards, and USB-only keyboards aren't supported by it.

RougeRambo

01 Jun 2012, 12:54

Soarer wrote:Hey, you missed the all important letter after 'model'!

My converter can't change the basic capabilities of the keyboard, so an 'F' will have NKRO, but an 'M' will still only have 2KRO. The same is true for other PS/2 keyboards, and USB-only keyboards aren't supported by it.
ah its a model m i am enquiring about. I thought they were full NKRO via ps/2 and something like 4-6 key via USB. 2 key sounds very low especially if it is 2 key for all combos.

Soarer

01 Jun 2012, 13:37

RougeRambo wrote:ah its a model m i am enquiring about. I thought they were full NKRO via ps/2 and something like 4-6 key via USB. 2 key sounds very low especially if it is 2 key for all combos.
We just say the worst case when saying what KRO something is - the M can output more for many combinations, but there are quite a few 3-key combos that don't work.

RougeRambo

01 Jun 2012, 15:27

Soarer wrote:
RougeRambo wrote:ah its a model m i am enquiring about. I thought they were full NKRO via ps/2 and something like 4-6 key via USB. 2 key sounds very low especially if it is 2 key for all combos.
We just say the worst case when saying what KRO something is - the M can output more for many combinations, but there are quite a few 3-key combos that don't work.
looks like i will be picking up a filco or something similar for gaming then! or finding someone to swap motherboards with so i can use ps/2, ps/2 is still full NKRO right?

also there is currently no way to achieve nkro or at least 6 key on usb with the model m amiright?

Soarer

01 Jun 2012, 16:45

RougeRambo wrote:looks like i will be picking up a filco or something similar for gaming then! or finding someone to swap motherboards with so i can use ps/2, ps/2 is still full NKRO right?

also there is currently no way to achieve nkro or at least 6 key on usb with the model m amiright?
Model M is 2KRO over PS/2 as well; the limitation is in the Model M itself, not the connection.

So yeah, a 'filco or something similar' would be a lot better for gaming!!

hoggy

01 Jun 2012, 17:15

Soarer wrote:...and USB-only keyboards aren't supported by it.
Soarer, I've tried the converter on a couple of usb keyboards, and they work...

Do you mean it only works on USB keyboards that have a controller that's PS/2 at it's heart and has been tweaked to USB? I'm not really sure what I'm talking about here, so please be gentle.

Soarer

01 Jun 2012, 17:25

hoggy wrote:Soarer, I've tried the converter on a couple of usb keyboards, and they work...

Do you mean it only works on USB keyboards that have a controller that's PS/2 at it's heart and has been tweaked to USB? I'm not really sure what I'm talking about here, so please be gentle.
Yep, that's right - by USB-only I just mean those which don't work on PS/2 with one of these passive adapters...

RougeRambo

01 Jun 2012, 20:07

right very confused now lol, so many places online claim the model m to have full NKRO, but now i look some claim 2-4...ah well, will plug it in when adapter comes and see what happens and how i feel gaming on it. Will most likely get a second board for gaming, its an excuse to get another keyboard XD.

i want to end up with 3 one for each monitor for my new rig next year
Model M for right hand portrait monitor which will be used for coding, web browsing, video calls, word processing etc etc.
A gaming cherry black or red keyboard for the middle gaming landscape IPS monitor
A simple cherry blue for my secondary rig on a stand alone moveable screen.

JBert

01 Jun 2012, 20:42

RougeRambo wrote:right very confused now lol, so many places online claim the model m to have full NKRO, but now i look some claim 2-4...
Then those sources are wrong.

The model F has NKRO, so maybe they confused the two.

ripster

01 Jun 2012, 21:27

Lots of places got it wrong.

This gets it right:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2959 ... over-Guide
IBM Model M: 2KRO. Fails ASX, WDE, WAQ, and many others.

RougeRambo

02 Jun 2012, 05:31

ripster wrote:Lots of places got it wrong.

This gets it right:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2959 ... over-Guide
IBM Model M: 2KRO. Fails ASX, WDE, WAQ, and many others.
ah fair enough looks like alot were wrong/misinformed, guess i will be getting a nice gaming board too then.

Return to “Workshop”