Split Custom Design

kyle

21 Aug 2014, 07:50

Hey Guys!

First off, I'm new here. I've read through a few threads and creeped a bit, but I just set up this account so this is my first post. Feel free to tell me if I'm posting in the wrong section or doing anything out of the accepted norm.

So I'm trying to design my first custom keyboard. The basic inspiration is the ergodox, but mine will be lacking the thumb clusters to simplify it a bit.

I think I have the pcb pretty well finished (although it's not ordered yet so please let me know if anything seems suspect):
Stratos Brd Render 3.PNG
Stratos Brd Render 3.PNG (342.28 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Stratos Brd Render 4.PNG
Stratos Brd Render 4.PNG (155.02 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
My current issue is designing a case to hold this all. Again, I'm mostly drawing from the ergodox's acrylic layered case (litster's design iirc). Here's what I have mocked up in draftsight now:
Case Design 1.PNG
Case Design 1.PNG (30.98 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Note that there will be 6 layers of 3mm board since Layer 2 will be cut twice.

But I'm not sure if that's an acceptable/good way to make the case or what changes need to be made, and I'm looking for some general critiques.

Right now the switch holes are 0.61"x0.61" (15.5mm x 15.5mm) and you can see my intended thicknesses in the picture.

Please let me know if you see anything that looks terribly wrong or if you have any advice for my first keyboard.

Thanks!

Return to “Workshop”