deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

chzel

21 Dec 2015, 00:04

Sometimes I need to find a topic I have started and it'd be nice if there was a link like "View your posts" but for topics started.
Or an option in advanced search for "Topics started by:_______".
Also, a small "bug":
If you click the magnifier in the searchbox in a subforum, it starts a search for "search this forum..."
Search this forum.png
Search this forum.png (62.82 KiB) Viewed 16383 times

Muirium
µ

21 Dec 2015, 00:14

Wait a while and Kbdfr will supply an inscrutable link to achieve what you want from the Advanced Search UI.

What a system!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Dec 2015, 11:17

chzel wrote: Sometimes I need to find a topic I have started and it'd be nice if there was […] [o]r an option in advanced search for "Topics started by:_______". […]
Muirium wrote: Wait a while and Kbdfr will supply an inscrutable link to achieve what you want from the Advanced Search UI. […]
Was it just a guess, or did you know that this function is available? :lol:
own threads.jpg
own threads.jpg (140.07 KiB) Viewed 16347 times

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Jan 2016, 21:58

I've been playing with responsive/mobile css on my local machine. Still lots to do but it's getting there.
mobilemockup.png
mobilemockup.png (251.27 KiB) Viewed 16276 times

Muirium
µ

22 Jan 2016, 22:35

Hmm. Nice enough idea, but in practice I generally use desktop sites on my iPhone. It's a Plus, so can just about handle it in landscape. But usually it's because mobile versions are done badly. Lots of good functionality stripped for no good reason.

Which would be default? How do you plan to trigger it? Places that make browsing in desktop mode on iOS a fight are sites I tend to abandon.

flabbergast

22 Jan 2016, 23:29

I thought you can trigger these css changes based on the number of browser window pixels available horizontally. (This works on my work webpage - can test this just by resizing the browser window.)

I personally would welcome this - my phone screen is relatively small (well by today's standards), and I usually lock it to the "vertical" position, so browsing DT requires me either change this every time, or lots of zooming in and out.

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Jan 2016, 23:31

Yes, it's like that. It has some breakpoints and is fluid between the breakpoints.

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2016, 00:22

Ah, responsive design. So I can shout at it and it'll jump back to attention?

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Jan 2016, 00:50

If you shout at it, after a certain breakpoint it will get grumpy.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Jan 2016, 08:09

webwit wrote: […] it will get grumpy.
spirit of the lamp.jpg
spirit of the lamp.jpg (42.96 KiB) Viewed 16161 times

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

25 Jan 2016, 11:55

wasn't i summarily shot down for inquiring about a mobile site?

/me cries in the corner

scottc

25 Jan 2016, 15:09

Wasn't it specifically a WAP site that you wanted..?

7bit

25 Jan 2016, 16:11

These is something wrong with the header:
dtheader_5years.jpg
dtheader_5years.jpg (50.8 KiB) Viewed 16188 times
:o

Also: This read 5th Anniversary thing is not really a good idea. Maybe you should integrate that into "DeskThority".
:roll:
dtheader_5years_001.jpg
dtheader_5years_001.jpg (52.59 KiB) Viewed 16185 times
:cool:

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Jan 2016, 16:55

Does it work better in your non css compliant browser now? :roll:

7bit

25 Jan 2016, 16:59

Much better!

andrewjoy

25 Jan 2016, 17:42

7bit what browser do you use ?

Works fine in NetSurf by the way :).

Muirium
µ

25 Jan 2016, 17:45

You know, that one on OS/2…

7bit

25 Jan 2016, 18:04

Netscape Navigator!
:ugeek:

Muirium
µ

25 Jan 2016, 18:11

7bit trying to find the bit about this newfangled "CSS"…

Those loading animations were pretty cool though. They had to be: your 14k modem took 5 minutes to load anything if you were lucky! But at least it was clearly working hardcore magic with all those meteors and shit. I believe they were called "throbbers" which truly says everything you could possibly need to know about the information superhighway cyberspace age of the 1990s.

andrewjoy

25 Jan 2016, 18:17

CSS who needs that 01100011 01110010 01100001 01110000

Halvar

25 Jan 2016, 19:31

That's 8 bits!

Halvar

25 Jan 2016, 19:33

7bit wrote: Image
Netscape Navigator!
:ugeek:
I do remember this page loading animation fondly. Probably because I was on a 14.4 modem and stared at it for hours of my life.

Muirium
µ

30 Jan 2016, 05:23

A seemingly harmless incident today reminded me of a feature I think could save us a lot of trouble in future, once the spammers up their game and learn how to hit the Edit button…
Muirium wrote: Trouble is, this thread has great SEO potential. Just look at that title. So it's a top target for spammy links. Somewhat amazed we haven't seen it abused until now!

These posts are most [][][][] {}{}[]. But what happens when they're edited in a week from now and we don't notice?
chzel wrote: You have a point about the SEO. Could the spy be setup to report newly edits in threads along the new posts?
Might get chaotic though when seebart is in edit mode!
Muirium wrote: I'd definitely like a view of that. Most people might not, but it doesn't have to replace the default Spy.

Perhaps a list of edits to posts more than 12 hours old? The Spy is how we find the spammers, who typically necro ancient stuff like this just to avoid us. With a bit more smarts, they could! A late edit overview would help us keep an eye on this too.
Late Edit Overview would be a nice feature. Seebart's not the only one around here to compulsively edit his posts — I very often go back and tidy up my writing and fix goofs the moment after I just hit Submit too! — so recent edits aren't what's important. The troublesome ones are sneaky submarine edits — think a day or a week later — which won't show up in the forum Spy and could remain undiscovered for months or years. Exactly as the spammers desire.

Let's shine a torch on 'em!

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jan 2016, 11:35

Muirium
µ

30 Jan 2016, 11:46

That's nice. Hard to make out suspicious activity there, though. And the thread titles aren't links, so you can't get to them directly to check.

I do like seeing how often we mods edit other people's posts, mind. Very shady bunch!

As interesting as it is, a view of deep edits without us lot included would be more what I'm after.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jan 2016, 12:06

Seems to me that the guy above got his password guessed or stolen and there's no high priority for custom phpBB modding. Don't think there's a spammer behind it, because we would have already seen the spam and no new posts. Wake me when the occurrence rate of necro spam edits exceeds 0 in 5 years.

Muirium
µ

30 Jan 2016, 12:18

Aye, aye. Will do, princess!

7bit

30 Jan 2016, 12:20

Maybe for the next generation forum, we should have some link under the post where you can see what has been originally posted, should the post had been edit some time after it had been posted.

7bit

02 Feb 2016, 17:03

Something prevents my browser to arrive at the place where it left when using the back button.
:?

I mean, I scroll down, hit a link, hit the back button and the page is shown from top location, not where I left it.
:-)

Is it only me and my old browser?
:roll:

I think I remember it used to work for some time, but recently stopped working. I could not yet find anything suspicious in the source code, or is it because of https?
:o

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Feb 2016, 17:16

7bit wrote: Something prevents my browser to arrive at the place where it left when using the back button. […]
Probably age :lol:

The same things happens to me every time I leave home:
when I come back I am at the bottom of the stairs instead of in front of my door :mrgreen:

Return to “Deskthority talk”