[F̶S̶] IBM 3278 Beamspring Terminal Keyboards

j0d1 wrote:Give away one.
Sell one for 250$.
Sell one for 500$.
Sell one for 750$
Sell one on eBay.

Everyone is happy (except the seller) :lol:

Except when the ebay one sells for 3000$ 8-)
Dingster

Unread post16 Apr 2018, 18:23

X
Dingster

Main keyboard: IBM Model M or Magicforce 68
Main mouse: Logitech M500
Favorite switch: Good linears
DT Pro Member: -

Sell one for 250$.
Sell one for 500$.
Sell one for 750$
Sell one on eBay.

I know this is a joke, but it really depends. And the chance of me finding any beamspring in Hungary is 0 anyway. They didn't make it to here.

I would make some small, but barely noticeable label for them on the back so that I'll know who flipped them

And I would want to keep one. I hear they are pretty good! :)
green-squid

Unread post16 Apr 2018, 18:28

X
green-squid

Main keyboard: Lexmark Dell Model M
Main mouse: Intellimouse 1.3A PS/2
Favorite switch: Alps SKCL Green

green-squid wrote:
Sell one for 250$.
Sell one for 500$.
Sell one for 750$
Sell one on eBay.

I know this is a joke, but it really depends. And the chance of me finding any beamspring in Hungary is 0 anyway. They didn't make it to here.

I would make some small, but barely noticeable label for them on the back so that I'll know who flipped them

And I would want to keep one. I hear they are pretty good! :)

I bet there is at least 1 in Hungary. Same here in slovenia :P
We just arent looking (lucky) hard enough
Dingster

Unread post16 Apr 2018, 18:38

X
Dingster

IMO the full sized 3278 that sold for 2k on Ebay looked like it was clean and in better overall condition compared to the ones in this lot (I didn't see any case chipping and the moduals looked straight/solid). Cosmetic condition is a huge selling point and can drive the price of any beamer up with greater and greater diminishing returns to the buyer.

$800 is a fair price given the current demand and overall condition of these boards. Most of them will likely clean up and convert without the need to de rust or clean the switches (assuming the contamination shields are in good shape).

Personally, I prefer the smaller 3278 or the 5251 due to the layout and proper numb pad. The full size 3278 is still a great model and I wouldn't worry about not getting one if you miss out. The cash incentive is high enough to prompt people to find and sell(this is actually good for the community because more will be available). I have a strong feeling we will see plenty of beamers pop out of the woodwork this year 8-)
tron

Unread post16 Apr 2018, 20:42

X
tron

Main keyboard: IBM 5251
Main mouse: Mionix Castor
Favorite switch: IBM Beam Spring

Dingster wrote:If you were to sell a freebie beamer on here, would you really sell it at a "cheap" price?

Would I "sell" a "freebie"? Is that what you meant to ask? I never sell anything here to make a profit, if that is what you mean.
Daniel Beardsmore

Unread post16 Apr 2018, 21:37

X
Daniel Beardsmore

Main keyboard: Filco Majestouch 1 (home)/Poker II backlit (work)
Main mouse: MS IMO 1.1
Favorite switch: Probably not whatever I wrote here

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:I would genuinely like to believe that the community here would hold itself above all the greed on eBay and function as a place to serve other community members, including pricing that is fair to the whole community, not just to the rich. The seller here isn't even a long-standing community member; he's just turned up and is immediately trying to turn a hefty profit. I think the rich here forget that not everyone here shares their wealth.

As the seller I want to avoid stirring the pot any further with drama but after reading this particular comment I feel like I can't sit quietly anymore, although I don't really want to keep explaining why I think my price point is justified since others here have already done that. The main point of your comment that triggered me to respond is your attempts at implying that I am nothing more than an opportunist whose sole reason for coming here was to sell these boards at an inflated price. Before you make personal attacks you should first do your due diligence and check my posting history. Yes, I have only made an account here and started posting recently, but I have in fact been involved in this hobby for around 8 years and lurked around these forums for that entire time (as well as Geekhack and Reddit). It's only recently that I was able to obtain a somewhat endgame level board (the Model F which I am currently typing this on in fact) and my desire to tinker with it a bit was the original reason I made an account there. The fact that I later found these 3278s only a few weeks later was just a lucky coincidence on my part, and even then I originally only found 2 (which I was originally going to keep for myself but then later found another 4 after checking again), and I was heavily encouraged to sell them (and in fact, I got many requests to do so before even formally putting up a FS thread).

Anyway I am feeling bad about all the drama this has caused and it sort of makes me feel uncomfortable and unprofessional as the seller, but I still plan to sell at least two more as I said due to the demand. Expect another post from me tonight with updates.
Bass

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 01:21

X
Bass

Main keyboard: IBM Model F AT / Realforce 87U
Main mouse: Logitech G9x
Favorite switch: Capacitive Buckling Spring

Don't feel bad. I don't think the prices you're asking are unreasonable considering the current market value on eBay.
FXT
XT

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 01:39

X
FXT
XT

Main keyboard: Model F XT
Favorite switch: Buckling springs
DT Pro Member: 0204

Don't worry about everyone's comments here. Most people in your shoes would have went to ebay and fully cashed out on the boards. You tried to make it so people here could get it for a better price, but some people want you to give them away for free? I feel like most people commenting feel entitled that you should give them a 95% discount for some reason. Your price is very reasonable, and people that think otherwise can just not buy.
Brett MacK

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 01:53

X
Brett MacK

Main keyboard: IBM Displaywriter
Main mouse: Logitech G403
Favorite switch: White Clicky Hi-Tek 725

No I honestly think think you set a fair price considering the interest in these boards. It would simply be unrealistic to offer these for $3-400 or under when they simply command a premium. In fact you could have privately sold these one at a time on eBay without announcing that you had 6 of them to eke out every last bit of profit. I feel many of us are glad you shared your find with the enthusiasts here. I'm sure many of us here recall the good old days when you couldn't give these away but that ship has sailed and they don't make them anymore.
JP!

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 01:54

X
JP!

Main keyboard: Currently a Model M
Main mouse: Steel Series Sensei
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0194

Brett MacK wrote:people that think otherwise can just not buy.

I agree with the last comments.
The current market price is due to the buyer willing to put 3k$ on the table.
It's not like a vintage keyboard is a necessary commodity in a time of crisis so any price you sell them for is OK.
Giving the keyboard for free is an absolute ideal in this community.
j0d1

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 02:05

X
j0d1

Main keyboard: IBM Model M Industrial
Main mouse: Logitech M570
DT Pro Member: 0203

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone.

I have put up another 3278 for sale. This one has a few blemishes (a few chipped keycaps and non-clicky switches) but is otherwise in similar condition to the others. I am asking $700 or best offer for this.

https://imgur.com/a/wDFog

See OP for more info.

If you already PMed me an offer for the previous one, please PM me again if you are still interested.
Bass

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 05:37

X
Bass

Main keyboard: IBM Model F AT / Realforce 87U
Main mouse: Logitech G9x

Okay, I thought about this for a bit and now I'm more on Bass' side.
green-squid

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 06:19

X
green-squid

Main keyboard: Lexmark Dell Model M
Main mouse: Intellimouse 1.3A PS/2
Favorite switch: Alps SKCL Green

There is a widely-held false assumption that eBay greed dictates the prices we should be using within the community. Nobody here is obliged to partake in eBay's price escalation.

Like I said, I challenge the OP to reveal what he paid for these, and what postage would cost.
Daniel Beardsmore

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 08:59

X
Daniel Beardsmore

I no longer have a place here.
Please give me $1000 for $100, otherwise you are greedy.

I need it to save the children in Africa for vintage keyboards.
webwit
Wild Duck

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 09:02

X
webwit
Wild Duck

Main keyboard: HHKB Pro II
Favorite switch: IBM beam spring
DT Pro Member: 0000

Unfortunately $800 is now a decent price for a beamspring. Shit changes, and we shouldn't expect everyone on here to sell at a loss. He could easily double his profits by putting them on ebay
wobbled

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 10:17

X
wobbled

Main keyboard: HHKB Hipro
Main mouse: Microsoft IMO 1.1A White
DT Pro Member: 0192

I can help but lament and rejoice that such things "command a premium".
I have found more than a few tokens of technological adolescence that have been discarded in times when they were past their prime but before they were recognized for the... that they are. I'm glad that people are willing to pay so much as they are; as on one hand it will go to those that will at least attach some value to it and while I wish I could too, I think that would stop me from truly enjoying it.
zool

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 10:58

X
zool

wobbled wrote:Unfortunately $800 is now a decent price for a beamspring. Shit changes, and we shouldn't expect everyone on here to sell at a loss. He could easily double his profits by putting them on ebay

Right, Beamer prices have sky-rocketed in the last few jears. I paid less than € 100 for my Displaywriter.
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 13:29

X
seebart

Main keyboard: Rotation
Main mouse: Steelseries Sensei
Favorite switch: IBM capacitive buckling spring
DT Pro Member: 0061

Those kind of deals still happen but they are few and far between.
JP!

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 13:52

X
JP!

Main keyboard: Currently a Model M
Main mouse: Steel Series Sensei
DT Pro Member: 0194

"Two things in this world can make life meaningful: having the strength to forge your own destiny, to live by your own rules, and not be swayed by the whims and wishes of others; and really sticking it to some stranger on the internet."
Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
Dingster wrote:If you were to sell a freebie beamer on here, would you really sell it at a "cheap" price?

Would I "sell" a "freebie"? Is that what you meant to ask? I never sell anything here to make a profit, if that is what you mean.

If you were in a situation where you got 5 free beamsprings, and only wanted one for yourself, would you give the rest away - is what I meant :lol:
Dingster

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 16:01

X
Dingster

Dingster wrote:If you were in a situation where you got 5 free beamsprings, and only wanted one for yourself, would you give the rest away - is what I meant :lol:

Of course I would. (For the price of shipping, as these are heavy beasts.) I will honour the means by which I obtain something — some company got most of my spare KLT-11 switches for free as I would not sell off parts that I was given free of charge (in this case, by Devlin). The most I'd charge is whatever something cost me, plus shipping.
wobbled wrote:Unfortunately $800 is now a decent price for a beamspring. Shit changes, and we shouldn't expect everyone on here to sell at a loss. He could easily double his profits by putting them on ebay

He would only be selling at a loss if he sold them for less than he paid for them. That would be unreasonable — I never said that he couldn't cover all his costs, or that a making a small profit was unfair. What I did say is that we are not compelled to echo the absurdity of eBay pricing.

Besides, I don't care how long anyone has lurked, or posted at some other site: coming here and immediately hawking items at high prices is still in poor spirit. We are not Reddit and we are not eBay.
Daniel Beardsmore

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 18:27

X
Daniel Beardsmore

Mad what people pay for BS now before they know if their even going to like it. :roll:
seebart

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 18:29

X
seebart

seebart wrote:Mad what people pay for BS now before they know if their even going to like it. :roll:

Well that's just a load of BS, I wouldn't pay anything at all for BS. :roll:
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 18:33

X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Main keyboard: Sharp X68000
Main mouse: Logitech G602
Favorite switch: Blue Alps SKCM
DT Pro Member: 0129

Blaise170 wrote:
seebart wrote:Mad what people pay for BS now before they know if their even going to like it. :roll:

Well that's just a load of BS, I wouldn't pay anything at all for BS. :roll:

BS is somewhat overrated indeed, and I own three of those. But I still prefer Capacitive Buckling Spring.
seebart

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 18:36

X
seebart

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
Dingster wrote:If you were in a situation where you got 5 free beamsprings, and only wanted one for yourself, would you give the rest away - is what I meant :lol:

Of course I would. (For the price of shipping, as these are heavy beasts.) I will honour the means by which I obtain something — some company got most of my spare KLT-11 switches for free as I would not sell off parts that I was given free of charge (in this case, by Devlin). The most I'd charge is whatever something cost me, plus shipping.

He would only be selling at a loss if he sold them for less than he paid for them. That would be unreasonable — I never said that he couldn't cover all his costs, or that a making a small profit was unfair. What I did say is that we are not compelled to echo the absurdity of eBay pricing.

Besides, I don't care how long anyone has lurked, or posted at some other site: coming here and immediately hawking items at high prices is still in poor spirit. We are not Reddit and we are not eBay.

Respect man :), not everyone would do that.
Dingster

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 18:38

X
Dingster

Daniel is not your "average " user here. Not sure what's going on with his avartar though. :maverick:
Last edited by seebart on 17 Apr 2018, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
seebart

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 18:41

X
seebart

seebart wrote:Daniel is not your "average " user here.

Noted ;)
Dingster

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 18:42

X
Dingster

Fingers crossed Daniel finds a bunch of beamsprings or kishsavers so we can get them at £20 a pop!
wobbled

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 22:01

X
wobbled

Main keyboard: HHKB Hipro
Main mouse: Microsoft IMO 1.1A White
DT Pro Member: 0192

My favourite to date:
ASAP Semiconductor wrote:100 units MOQ
$100 each
SKCLAC
1 week delivery

There's no product photo for Alps SKCLAC on their site, so to put a face to a name, I would have needed to spend $10,000. Yes that's not a typing mistake.

(Most of the time, the problem isn't the extortionate cost but companies who don't have what they claim to have (such as total dead loss on all the leads for SMK J-M0404 parts with known part numbers), or simply ignore you, although the latter can be—as was the case with Oxygen Electronics—because they decided I was not worth their time, as I found when I called them up. Big Boys Club Only (such as the UK Ministry of Defence, who is one of their customers). The company in France with surplus Apple replacement switches—including NOS Apple hairpin spring—seems to be another dead loss: nobody at home.)

I stopped coming across interesting keyboards several years ago, when everything moved to Greedbay.
Daniel Beardsmore

Unread post17 Apr 2018, 23:16

X
Daniel Beardsmore

Daniel, I get where you are coming from, for someone who was here from the beginning, the current state of affairs must be rather heart breaking. BUT, things have moved on, this is no longer a niche hobby with a small potential market. (Well... it's niche, but "mainstream niche;" you are not going to have your family get a carer to look after you, for showing interest in tiny plastic cups and little clickers.) Wishing that other people acted as if this was 2011 is simply not realistic.

Given the current situation, IMHO OP has acted in an above board manner and set the price very fairly, they could have definitely squeezed a lot more profit out from eBay. Additionally, they gave the community first crack at obtaining these; not many of us can justify the expense, but at least they are staying "in the family." I think they should be encouraged, not made to feel like it just isn't worth the hassle and they made the wrong decision.

My 2c.
consolation

Unread post18 Apr 2018, 00:56

X
consolation

Main keyboard: Norbatouch
Main mouse: deathadder 3.5g
Favorite switch: If I had to pick ONE switch only - orange Alps

Fine, see you in another life then.
Daniel Beardsmore

Unread post18 Apr 2018, 08:11

X
Daniel Beardsmore

I no longer have a place here.
PreviousNext