[IC] A true GH/DT custom keyboard kit - What do you want to see?

KRKS

13 Mar 2016, 09:40

Phenix wrote: I don't agree. Please make dedicated Arrows! or make a 65% keyboard. Personally I want a 75% (so 65% with extra F-keys.)
If anyone else also like the idea - make it F1-F24 (cause vertical place is useless for me, just need my hands nearer to mice ;)
This guy gets it. It's not about less leys, it's about more mouseroom.

Also another "pls no" in the case of the missing /?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

13 Mar 2016, 09:44

photekq wrote: Image

Thoughts on this layout? :mrgreen:
Hell to the naw with that missing "/" key. I use that all the time and I'm not even a programmer.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

13 Mar 2016, 16:11

For the arrows on the 60%, the best solution I have encountered is the Poker style, in which a very easy to use macro can bring those arrows to the right mod cluster on the active layer, if you need lots of arrow usage. Rather than try to stuff them somewhere onto the top layer.

I've tried experimenting with 4 arrow keys on the bottom layer with various keyboards, but it's so inefficient after a lifetime of using the T-cluster. Plus, the pinky gets more work than it should.

Or just go with a 65%.
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 13 Mar 2016, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

13 Mar 2016, 16:13

I think a locking function layer that sets right shift, menu, super and control to arrows works the best here (assuming a 1.75u shift). But to be honest I just use HHKB arrows everywhere because they're so much easier.

photekq
Cherry Picker

13 Mar 2016, 20:34

To be honest, I didn't think the missing /? would be too bad! I certainly never use it myself.

Point taken though. I won't be doing that one, as about 90% of people have told me it's awful :lol:

chzel

13 Mar 2016, 21:37

I guess you never ask questions? Or do you end them with :question_mark:?

photekq
Cherry Picker

13 Mar 2016, 21:39

chzel wrote: I guess you never ask questions? Or do you end them with :question_mark:?
Alright, maybe not never.. Rarely though! :lol:

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

14 Mar 2016, 00:12

/ is such an import key for coding, though. Don't wanna FN that.

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Mar 2016, 00:31

Moving forward now that form factor has been established as TKL :

Layouts.

Standard layout :

Variations :

Any thoughts/desired additions?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Mar 2016, 00:51

I absolutely love the spacebar and bottom modifiers with the larger spacebar. It would also make the board compatible with modern keysets.

I would like to keep it full ANSI as far as the enter, shift, and backspace keys are concerned though.

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Mar 2016, 00:53

Redmaus wrote: I absolutely love the spacebar and bottom modifiers with the larger spacebar. It would also make the board compatible with modern keysets.

I would like to keep it full ANSI as far as the enter, shift, and backspace keys are concerned though.
PCB would support all layouts pictured, so there would be no need to choose. The MX plates would be universal, but Alps ones would have to be for individual layouts as alps switches require proper support from the plate.

andysun

22 Mar 2016, 09:37

7u spacebar sounds great! Would love a winkeyless case though

EDIT: also love the possibility for stepped caps lock :wink:

shreebles
Finally 60%

22 Mar 2016, 10:15

Looks fantastic! Nothing too fancy or exotic, just the options everyone needs in a TKL, at least in my humble opinion.
Think I would love to try a split right shift, one less stabilizer and an FN key always in reach.

HzFaq

22 Mar 2016, 11:14

Looking good Pho, nice to see the bigass option there as well; we need more bigass customs :D.

edit - I know that you probably couldn't add compatibility on the PCB as it is, but do you think you could do a separate PCB for the space invader project? Two birds one stone kind of thing...

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Mar 2016, 16:31

andysun wrote: 7u spacebar sounds great! Would love a winkeyless case though

Winkeyless case and stepped caps lock will be there for sure :)

andysun

22 Mar 2016, 17:00

photekq wrote:
andysun wrote: 7u spacebar sounds great! Would love a winkeyless case though

Winkeyless case and stepped caps lock will be there for sure :)
Great! :D

Have you thought about the case's angle? Most custom TKLs look like they are too inclined for my taste

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Mar 2016, 17:03

andysun wrote: Great! :D

Have you thought about the case's angle? Most custom TKLs look like they are too inclined for my taste
8.5deg most likely.

gogusrl

23 Mar 2016, 19:16

no split spacebar ? It's the biggest change you can do to a regular layout for usability (imho). being able to use all your navigation keys with just the left hand is amazing.

Prelim

03 Jun 2016, 22:10

bump! Is this going to happen @photekq?

photekq
Cherry Picker

04 Jun 2016, 05:01

Yeah, just too busy with exams to spend time on it. I'll have time soon!

Prelim

04 Jun 2016, 11:21

ohh I see, good luck with those exams though ;)

TuxKey
LLAP

04 Jun 2016, 14:20

My dream keyboard would be a TKL in a minimal size form factor as possible.
Basicly removing all the dead space and it should be 100% programable input club style.

User Richfiles has already build one him self..
Benefits would be all standard size keys no difrent size spacebar or shift keys please..

Basicly a Poker 3 with arrow cluster and F-row..what more does one need??
My dream layout , form factor
My dream layout , form factor
75_Keyboard_Layout_richfiles.png (61.69 KiB) Viewed 11485 times
BTW i know it almost looks like the "KBT KBTalking RACE2 75%"
But that one just sucks i had one and got rid of it..Small keys like shift ctrl and crapy execution all over.
Bad Example How not to do it.
Bad Example How not to do it.
BadExample75%.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 11476 times

TuxKey
LLAP

04 Jun 2016, 14:31

To bad just read that TKL is going to be the size..ah well..in my humble opinion what would be the reason to build that ?
Just back the Input Club K-type TKL size and good looks programable.

photekq
Cherry Picker

04 Jun 2016, 14:31

It won't be. I've had a change of heart. 60%.

The case of the IC K-Type isn't really comparable to the kind of case I presented in the OP.

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

04 Jun 2016, 14:59

photekq wrote: It won't be. I've had a change of heart. 60%.

The case of the IC K-Type isn't really comparable to the kind of case I presented in the OP.
This exactly

why would you compare a IC K-Type style case which is a bottom mounted keyboard with a top mounted case? and this case would prob be better

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

04 Jun 2016, 14:59

bocahgundul wrote:

This exactly

why would you compare a IC K-Type style case which is a bottom mounted keyboard with a top mounted keyboard? and this case would prob be better because its a custom keyboard :mrgreen:

Prelim

04 Jun 2016, 16:27

seriously?

/hype over then, I was getting in love with those render images and need a tkl :cry: :cry:

scottc

04 Jun 2016, 16:29

Yeah, same here. 60%s are already very readily available in whatever layouts you might want, and with an abundance of great cases.

photekq
Cherry Picker

04 Jun 2016, 16:46

I beg to differ. There are very few proper 3-piece, plate mounted 60%s. They're all tray style cases except the 356mini and KMAC Happy.

There are tonnes of proper 3-piece, plate mounted TKLs.

Anyway, it's the HHKB that's won me over :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2016, 16:48

We have turned another to the Dome Side!!

Return to “Group buys”