DSA LightCycle Alps and MX keyset (CANCELLED)

evangs

09 Oct 2016, 18:29

zslane wrote: Of course! Use any of the renders you like.
Thank you!

zslane

09 Oct 2016, 19:30

Here are a couple more.
lightcycle_dsa_tkl_04.png
lightcycle_dsa_tkl_04.png (411.42 KiB) Viewed 5419 times
lightcycle_dsa_ansi_01.png
lightcycle_dsa_ansi_01.png (273.86 KiB) Viewed 5426 times

zslane

09 Oct 2016, 23:35

One more:
lightcycle_dsa_poker_03.png
lightcycle_dsa_poker_03.png (279.78 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
Last edited by zslane on 11 Oct 2016, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

evangs

10 Oct 2016, 06:35

zslane wrote: One more:
lightcycle_dsa_poker_03.png
These are awesome! I will definitely be using these, thanks!

evangs

10 Oct 2016, 06:36

Numbers update

zslane

10 Oct 2016, 08:31

Aw, man, I need to fix that last one. The right arrow key is pointing the wrong way. Doh!

matlock42

10 Oct 2016, 20:38

I'm so excited I found this before the gb ended! I've been looking at the possibility of custom keycaps for a while now, but never found one that I absolutely needed (they aren't exactly inexpensive). The community of mechanical keyboards is so big and there are so many options to look at. But, as soon as I saw these Tron inspired keycaps, I instantly fell in love with them.

I just placed my order and can barely contain myself! One thing that I thought would be cool, even though it's not included in this set, is translucent doubleshot material for backlighting.

Thank you for creating this!

zslane

11 Oct 2016, 04:30

How does one interpret these numbers? By that I mean the fact that numpad kits sell only half as many units as base kits.

In the normal world, full-size boards are the norm. Are they really outnumbered 2-to-1 by TKLs and 60% boards in the mech board world?

evangs

11 Oct 2016, 20:20

zslane wrote: How does one interpret these numbers? By that I mean the fact that numpad kits sell only half as many units as base kits.

In the normal world, full-size boards are the norm. Are they really outnumbered 2-to-1 by TKLs and 60% boards in the mech board world?
it is quite interesting, isn't it? it seems in the mech enthusiast community we prefer tkl and smaller. although with some new numpads/macropads hitting the market I'm thinking we will see a bit of a shift.

chuckdee

11 Oct 2016, 20:49

Once I realized I didn't really *need* the function keys nor the numpad, I've not gone back.

zslane

11 Oct 2016, 20:50

That is one aspect of the mech keyboard world that I just don't understand and can't relate to.

I use a 60% board purely as a substitute for the glass virtual keyboard of my iPad, a context in which I have no need for function keys or a numpad. My only other computing context is a desktop PC (either at home or at work), with which I use full-size boards exclusively.

The TKL is an in-between format that I find to be frustrating in its intrinsic shortcomings (too big for an iPad, inadequate for a desktop PC). I've been trying out the NovaTouch lately, and I've lost count of the number of times my muscle memory has reached over for the missing keys of the numpad. It is really irritating, which is a shame since I really like having SA keycaps on a Topre switch.

evangs

12 Oct 2016, 05:31

numbers update Image

Crossfire

12 Oct 2016, 18:38

Will this fit on a board like AEK II? Especially spacebar size and such...

zslane

12 Oct 2016, 19:24

Five days to go and it's not looking good for the Alps numpad and compat kits... :(

E3E

12 Oct 2016, 20:01

I've got one of each for Alps. Can't afford more sets right now. D:

evangs

12 Oct 2016, 20:15

Crossfire wrote: Will this fit on a board like AEK II? Especially spacebar size and such...
no, the spacebar and enter will cause trouble.

evangs

12 Oct 2016, 20:16

zslane wrote: Five days to go and it's not looking good for the Alps numpad and compat kits... :(
I'm buying extra units to make up MOQ so EVERYTHING will drop :D

chuckdee

12 Oct 2016, 20:20

zslane wrote: Five days to go and it's not looking good for the Alps numpad and compat kits... :(
He's said that the levels are such that all kits will make it.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84 ... msg2280146
Howdy,

Do you know the rough timescales for shipment of the caps provided we hit MOQ?
Yep, 6-8 weeks, shipping before Christmas is the goal. Also moq isn't anything to worry about. I'm buying remaining slots to reach moq so everything will be produced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zslane

12 Oct 2016, 21:06

I'm grateful to evangs for being willing to personally float the cost of 50-60 Alps numpad and compat kits. That's a significant expense that I suspect very few GB runners would be willing to shoulder.

Hypersphere

12 Oct 2016, 21:11

Very glad to see an Alps-mount option! Unfortunately, I find it too difficult to type on a flat profile like DSA to justify the purchase. Looking forward to the possibility of seeing DCS or SA Alps-mount sets in the future.

zslane

12 Oct 2016, 23:26

SP does not make SA keycaps with an Alps mount. You'll have to settle for DCS.

evangs

12 Oct 2016, 23:29

zslane wrote: SP does not make SA keycaps with an Alps mount. You'll have to settle for DCS.
they don't?

zslane

13 Oct 2016, 00:11

In an e-mail dated Sep 30, Melissa said to me:

"We do not make an Alps mount for the SA family, but it is available for all sizes in the DSA family."

This was in response to a question I had regarding which profiles and sizes they could deliver with an Alps mount.

Hypersphere

13 Oct 2016, 00:32

@zslane: Thanks for the information. Looks like I will have to continue being a hunter-gatherer. It is actually rather fun searching for Alps keycaps in the wild. BTW, your renders are superb!

PS: Was it SP who made the Alpine Winter Alps-mount set? If I am not mistaken, that set was DCS profile.

evangs

14 Oct 2016, 18:34

Numbers update

zslane

14 Oct 2016, 19:18

Hypersphere wrote: @zslane: Thanks for the information.
So, to summarize:
  • SP does not make an Alps mount for the SA family.
  • SP can not dye-sublimate onto an Alps mount.
Therefore: SP can only deliver Alps mount keycaps with legends in ABS double-shot DSA or DCS. Alps mount blanks can be delivered in PBT (for DSA or DCS), however some keycap sizes are mysteriously missing from their webstore.

E3E

14 Oct 2016, 19:28

I don't understand how they can't dyesub alps-mount caps when the profiles are the same, unless the jig for the machine they use relies on the stem of the caps.
Hypersphere wrote: @zslane: Thanks for the information. Looks like I will have to continue being a hunter-gatherer. It is actually rather fun searching for Alps keycaps in the wild. BTW, your renders are superb!

PS: Was it SP who made the Alpine Winter Alps-mount set? If I am not mistaken, that set was DCS profile.
Yep, it was indeed.

And I agree, scavenger hunting for Alps sets is more gratifying to me than ordering aftermarket sets, as nice as they are too. I enjoy the vintage caps a bit more, especially the obscure ones.

zslane

14 Oct 2016, 19:41

E3E wrote: I don't understand how they can't dyesub alps-mount caps when the profiles are the same, unless the jig for the machine they use relies on the stem of the caps.
Alas, I didn't ask for such details. All I can tell you is what Melissa said to me in a recent e-mail (from Oct 3rd):

"We unfortunately don't have the ability to sublimate on Alps keys, so I would be leary of getting too far with any kind of design in that regard."

evangs

17 Oct 2016, 18:59

numbers update

Today is the final day to order!

evangs

18 Oct 2016, 19:00

Final Numbers

MX
Base - 330
Numpad - 164
Compat - 133

Alps
Base - 105
Numpad - 46
Compat - 60

I have placed the order with SP and will hopefully be received the invoice soon. There is a special bonus that I will just leave as a surprise for when people start receiving their sets :D

Return to “Group buys”