[IC] GMK Halloween

E11even

14 Sep 2016, 08:35

Hi everyone,

This is E11even, and I'd like to use my first post to do the IC here.
Welcome any suggestion / advice and please let me know your thoughts about this keyset!

So here's the thing.
The idea is from Halloween
halloween.jpg
halloween.jpg (70.9 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
I plan to have GMK produce the keyset, so it will be Cherry profile.
Currently I have 2 versions.
Both have the same modifier, and the only difference is the legend color of alphas.

For those who are not familiar with the color code, I'm attaching the GMK color code below
GMK.jpg
GMK.jpg (156.14 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Ver. 1

alphas - base: CR, legend: PANTONE 263U
mods - base: DY / V2, legend: V2 / DY
263U.png
263U.png (11.41 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Here's the 2D render
mockup_0913.png
mockup_0913.png (219.34 KiB) Viewed 2677 times

Ver. 2
alphas - base: CR, legend: PANTONE 2087C
mods - base: DY / V2, legend V2 / DY
2087C.png
2087C.png (11.96 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Here's the 2D render
mockup_0913_v2.png
mockup_0913_v2.png (217.96 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
It is still at early stage, and I'm working on

1) Adding necessary / Removing unnecessary keys
2) Novelties

Therefore, would appreciate your thoughts / comments. Also welcome any thoughts about this set!

Lastly, I've made the poll.
Please kindly fill in this poll to let me know your thoughts.

TAKE MY POLL, PLEASE!

Thanks!
E11even

Wodan
ISO Advocate

14 Sep 2016, 08:50

May I recommend N9 as the base "black" of the alphanumerics? N9 is well known from the Skidata color scheme and goes along very well with the orange of this set (V2)

This would also allow mixing the numerics from Skidata with those of this set for some awesome combinations.

Rimrul

14 Sep 2016, 09:37

Ok, so custom colours (well one), Novelties, Barred homing keys, minimal ISO support and a new unknown groupbuy runner?
Fasten your seat belts, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

So custom colours are a price rise that can make it harder to reach GMKs MOQ of 150 (or is it still 250 for custom colours?). The fact that 263U is only used as a legend colour that looks kind of close to an off-white beige in your render and you could probably use any of (L9,T9,3K,2M,GR1,CP,WS1) as a close enough substitute makes this even worse.
There have also been some issues with GMK custom colours in the past, but they probably wouldn't be as noticable here, as you only do small text legends in a custom colour.

Novelties. Novelties generally further increase the price of a set. In case of a GMK set they increase the price quite a bit, because GMK custom legends are expensive. The three novelties you already have in your renders, you have a vote on up to six other novelties in your poll. This isn't gonna help you reaching MOQ.

Barred homing keys on GMK sets can be done, but they are less comon than the beloved scooped F & J w/ dotted 5 combo. You could probably remove the non homing F, J & 5 to lower the price a little, but that's up to you.

Your ISO support is pretty minimal and doesn't even cover proper ISO-UK. That's ok, but some ISO folks prefer to have at least ISO-UK support because it feels less like a few tacked on keys to an ANSI centric set. Most ANSI folks prefer this, or even no ISO support, because of the price.

The fact that this is your only post probably doesn't help people trust you with their money, especially this shortly after Ivan and berzerkfan. I can't really help you with that.

One last thing: Legend consistency. If you offer 1 Alt + 1 AltGr in 1.5u and 1.25u, why offer 2 Alt + 0 AltGr in 1u?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

14 Sep 2016, 09:50

What disapoints me most about the GMK Novelties that are often part of larger GBs is the fact that they are virtually useless for any other GB. If you can bring GMK to make some new molds/legends, why not let the make something good like a Tux 1.25u modifier or an Amiga-A modifier?

Instead we're getting the 101st novelty ESC replacement and some themed mods that will never leave the shelf again.

Rimrul

14 Sep 2016, 10:03

Yeah, but it's often the same with SP novelties.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

14 Sep 2016, 11:31

Rimrul wrote: Yeah, but it's often the same with SP novelties.
Yeah but SP is popping out new molds like they grow on trees. GMK treats new molds like they have to sacrifice a virgin every time they make one.

scottc

14 Sep 2016, 11:41

My favourite thing about this GB is that there's absolutely no way I'd receive it before Halloween.

Arwym

16 Oct 2016, 03:30

As someone who really loves Halloween, I'd support this. Even if it's for next year.

Return to “Group buys”