[IC] HyperMicro and HyperMini Keyboard

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

31 Oct 2012, 05:29

i like the idea of doing 1x 1.5x 2x 2x 1.5x 1x (or replace the 1x with 1.25x). i dont really like the middle circle button but i could live with it. The lcontrol and blank key on the right are superfluous IMO as are the far left/right keys on the row above it. personally i would use rshift as a comma or ? key but i know that some people type the 'proper' way and having 2 shift keys is important.

oneproduct

31 Oct 2012, 05:40

Actually, here's another little arrangement that will likely prove more popular with most people:

http://i.imgur.com/y94bB.png EDIT: Image tags removed to reduce attention to this image, because there's other layouts I like more on page 5!

It has the 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 that people are comfortable with, removes the circle button which most people probably don't care too much for, doesn't require any stabilizers and has all the basic things needed for common text.

Again keep in mind that this is just one proposed use of the arrangement. If you don't need the right shift you could do all sorts of things there, but some people use right shift only or use both shifts.
Last edited by oneproduct on 01 Nov 2012, 18:01, edited 2 times in total.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

31 Oct 2012, 05:43

not too shabby :) still think the far left and far right bottom row are overkil, who needs 2 of each modifier on a layout like this?

oneproduct

31 Oct 2012, 05:45

It's more to satisfy the people with RGBY kits or for people that favor the right instead of the left. However, it's reprogrammable, so this is just one suggested arrangement. It's the physical layout of the keys that's important though.

In particular, I could see someone setting the 1x key next to left shift to also be shift (since gamers using shift to sprint/walk need it to be on the extreme end of the keyboard I think) and then changing the right shift to ?!

oneproduct

31 Oct 2012, 06:17

Here's another idea without using the duplicated bottom right row. This arrangement allows for arrows on the first layer (and I added the `~ keys for European characters).

http://i.imgur.com/dx0s3.png EDIT: Image tags removed to reduce attention to this image, because there's other layouts I like more on page 5!

Guess I'll refer to this one as HyperMicro - Arrows and the other one as HyperMicro - 1.5x in case anybody wants to talk about it.

Edit: Oh... you know what I just realized. Removing a column from the middle is not too much of a problem for Qwerty people, but in colemak, that ; that disappeared was something important for me. The middle row now only has 9 letters instead of 10 that I actually need... I guess that counts me out on this idea.
Last edited by oneproduct on 01 Nov 2012, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

31 Oct 2012, 06:30

i like this idea. still definitely willing to purchase in 7bits format and there are still a few weird things (something about having print characters separated by non-print keys is weird to me) but you managed to fit quite a lot into 4x13 :)
Last edited by sth on 31 Oct 2012, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

oneproduct

31 Oct 2012, 06:48

Alright, last idea. I added one column, so it's now 4x13, which makes it usable for Colemak and Dvorak people while still providing usefulness for Qwerty people and keeping it smaller than usual. Again, don't focus on where exactly everything is since the idea is that this is reprogrammable, just focus on the size of the keys and the physical layout to see what kind of options it provides.

Notes:
Punctuation is grouped together. For European people `~ is available, for myself I'd replace it with hyphen probably.
1.5x - 1x - 1.5x mods on the bottom left which people enjoy and which lets them use part of their RGBY kits.
Arrows available in the top layer, similar to the Race or Deck keyboards.
All characters needed for "basic writing" with the exception of maybe hyphen and parentheses.
' " is pretty close to where it normally is.
Comma and period in their normal places, ? pretty close to normal.
Left shift that reaches to the edge of the board, which is better for gamers.
That circle is back in the middle... Not sure what to do about it. If I removed it then the space and backspace would become too large and need stabilizers. I'm sure 7bit is happier to see it there though for whatever he uses it for! Could be used for another layer or as an Alt Gr for European characters.
Last edited by oneproduct on 31 Oct 2012, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

TheQsanity

31 Oct 2012, 07:38

Can the first layer be programed and is there more than just two layers available. Will thenprice be as good as the poker?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

31 Oct 2012, 07:48

you can do whatever you want, it is teensy based. write your own firmware with an FN layer for every key except one and use fn layers for everything.

fossala
Elite +1

31 Oct 2012, 07:51

sth wrote:you can do whatever you want, it is teensy based. write your own firmware with an FN layer for every key except one and use fn layers for everything.
Badass, I vote for this one.

Icarium

31 Oct 2012, 08:34

sth wrote:not too shabby :) still think the far left and far right bottom row are overkil, who needs 2 of each modifier on a layout like this?
Typing courses teach you to use one hand for the modifier and the other for the actual key, this requires modifiers on both sides.
Then again Sean Wrona or whatever her name was once explained that she doesn't use shift but only caps lock and most people press Ctrl+c with only their left hand.

Just wanted to mention this, since it will be Teensy programmable you can do whatever you want anyway. :)

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 08:55

fossala wrote:Can you do a reverse stagger for the micro?
What do you mean by reverse stager?

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:03

CeeSA wrote:I need:
- wireless
Aren't there wireless USB-transmitters?
CeeSA wrote:- trackpoint
Can be added
CeeSA wrote:- Scrollwheel
Give me a source of scrollwheels (preferably the one from the RollerMouse Free2) and it will be supported.
CeeSA wrote:- Backlit LED support for all layouts
At least there shpould be LED support for all keypositions by adding holes to wire the LEDs.
CeeSA wrote:- HYPERMINI/7BIT + Funtion Row
- HYPERMINI/7BIT + Funtion Row + 2 rows added to the left side for macro keys
Hmm, i found no layout i could be happy with... :/
I've got a 3rd keyboard in mind, but for now I want to concentrate on this one. I don't want to start a mess like Round 4.

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:05

tlt wrote:Doesn't the HYPERMINI/ISO need a function key or something to switch to a layer with arrow keys, del, page up i.e. ?
You can program the controller as ever you like. The layouts are just mockups to show how it could look.

tlt

31 Oct 2012, 09:17

The HYPERMINI/ISOWIN has no spaces between keys anywhere right? It's easier to make a nice looking case if the whole top is covered with keys like the Poker.

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:18

JBert wrote:Hmmm, quite some interesting stuff, but none like this alternative poker layout. (Although the linked design might have some inconvenience WRT to the small right shift).
I can add more options if there is enough demand.

Here is how it would look like:
Attachments
HyperMini_JBERT.png
HyperMini_JBERT.png (20.97 KiB) Viewed 5585 times

oneproduct

31 Oct 2012, 09:23

Any chance of adding the 4x13 layout I posted above to the interest check to see if people would want it? I think it has potential. I like the HyperMicro but I think that it's missing a few too many characters on the first layer to be usable without losing a fair amount of speed. One extra column fixes that and lets you have top layer arrows like the HyperMini designs do.

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:25

RC-1140 wrote:Honestly, this HyperMini Hack looks interesting. What is supposed to be on the keys on the bottom? The ones with a square on? I definitely need modifiers for Neo, if Capslock is not where it usually is, and if I could somehow program these keys to work as a Neo modifier… On the other hand I don't really want to go through the hassle of ordering all this strange stuff I need for it. Soldering wouldn't be a problem, but collecting everything necessary would be.
Just compare with the HHKB and you know. The layout is not an exact copy but an improvement to the HHKB!

Similar to the Phantom group buy, all necessary parts will be available.

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:29

sth wrote:i like the idea of doing 1x 1.5x 2x 2x 1.5x 1x (or replace the 1x with 1.25x). i dont really like the middle circle button but i could live with it. The lcontrol and blank key on the right are superfluous IMO as are the far left/right keys on the row above it. personally i would use rshift as a comma or ? key but i know that some people type the 'proper' way and having 2 shift keys is important.
This button should work as the middle button of a mouse. The RollerMouse lacks such a button, so I integrate it into the keyboard.

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:32

oneproduct wrote:Here's another idea without using the duplicated bottom right row. This arrangement allows for arrows on the first layer (and I added the `~ keys for European characters).

Guess I'll refer to this one as HyperMicro - Arrows and the other one as HyperMicro - 1.5x in case anybody wants to talk about it.

Edit: Oh... you know what I just realized. Removing a column from the middle is not too much of a problem for Qwerty people, but in colemak, that ; that disappeared was something important for me. The middle row now only has 9 letters instead of 10 that I actually need... I guess that counts me out on this idea.
Both look great. I will add both layout suggestions.

dirge

31 Oct 2012, 09:43

I thought you were quiet recently, well done. I can't commit for a few weeks, but I'll be in for one of each lol. (not quite but a few)

What about a function row that can be cut away with a modelling saw and not break the curcuit? biphany is looking at something similar but on a larger scale.

What about an Matias alps version?

Or having a function row to the left of the board?

Copy the hhkb jp?

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:44

oneproduct wrote:...
That circle is back in the middle... Not sure what to do about it. If I removed it then the space and backspace would become too large and need stabilizers. I'm sure 7bit is happier to see it there though for whatever he uses it for! Could be used for another layer or as an Alt Gr for European characters.
Forget about my layout. On most keyboards the switch position whith the circle key is already there (Space).

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:46

TheQsanity wrote:Can the first layer be programed and is there more than just two layers available. Will thenprice be as good as the poker?
You can have as many layers as you like. It is just a question of programming them into the Teensy which is not too difficult.

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:49

Icarium wrote:Typing courses teach you to use one hand for the modifier and the other for the actual key, this requires modifiers on both sides.
Then again Sean Wrona or whatever her name was once explained that she doesn't use shift but only caps lock and most people press Ctrl+c with only their left hand.
But the keyboard is so small, you can reach each key with one hand!

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:52

tlt wrote:The HYPERMINI/ISOWIN has no spaces between keys anywhere right? It's easier to make a nice looking case if the whole top is covered with keys like the Poker.
Yes, the gaps can be filled with switches. The mount plates will support this.

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 09:54

oneproduct wrote:Any chance of adding the 4x13 layout I posted above to the interest check to see if people would want it? I think it has potential. I like the HyperMicro but I think that it's missing a few too many characters on the first layer to be usable without losing a fair amount of speed. One extra column fixes that and lets you have top layer arrows like the HyperMini designs do.
OK, I will think about that.

CeeSA

31 Oct 2012, 09:59

Just to make it clear (for me)...
There is no technical need for the mounting plates, right?

I could use the PCB only for the switch positions!?

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 10:00

dirge wrote:I thought you were quiet recently, well done. I can't commit for a few weeks, but I'll be in for one of each lol. (not quite but a few)

What about a function row that can be cut away with a modelling saw and not break the curcuit? biphany is looking at something similar but on a larger scale.
Later. :evilgeek:
dirge wrote: What about an Matias alps version?
Would be interesting, except It will not soak up my switches and remaining space bars.
dirge wrote:Or having a function row to the left of the board?

Copy the hhkb jp?
Later. :evilgeek:

7bit

31 Oct 2012, 10:02

CeeSA wrote:Just to make it clear (for me)...
There is no technical need for the mounting plates, right?

I could use the PCB only for the switch positions!?
Yes, if we are nice to you and add mount holes for the PCB-mount switches.

I don't want to have too many holes in the PCB.

There are several options how to mount the switches at 1/8-units distances (esp. in the 2 bottom rows).

Then, there should be a way to mount LEDs into every switch. The traces for them need to have space. Chances are high that mount-holes interefere with LED-traces.

dirge

31 Oct 2012, 10:20

7bit wrote: Would be interesting, except It will not soak up my switches and remaining space bars.
No but would mean you could do a round 4.1 :evilgeek: for alps keys.

Also those mx switches must be lonley, they'd like a few boxes of Matias alps.

If you want to shift the switches quick, get a boat load of Korean springs and sell them as packs. Geekhackers would be alllll over them. :idea:

Return to “Group buys”