[GB] IC: Metal replacement door for IBM 3278

Hi all,

So a while back, kuato wanted to take his 3278 restoration one step further than what most others have done: Replacing the plastic manual compartment lid with one made out of metal. What's the point of this, you ask? Perhaps the main benefit is to make it easier to get the entire 3278 powdercoated. Some also say it improves the feel on your wrists, but another big part is making your beamspring feel as heavy and sturdy as it can be.

Original Restoration Thread
He was originally planning on running a group buy for these as others had expressed interest in getting these made, and most machine / sheet metal shops prefer to do these types of projects in bulk. Because the 3278 is one of my favorite boards in my collection and rotation, I decided that I would try and pursue this since there are many shops in my area and kuato seems to have disappeared from the forums. After running around many different places (with some even giving me outrageous estimates -- $500 each!), I have finally found a place that has been able to provide a decent starting point:

MOQ of 5 units: ~$200 + shipping and paypal fees
MOQ of 10 units: ~ $150 + shipping and paypal fees

Please let me know if you would be interested or have any suggestions! To make data easier to collect I have added a form here:

https://goo.gl/forms/jordhmrVx3McdEQ53

Note: It should be safe to assume we will hit an MOQ of 10, but $150 is still pricey for a lot of people. Thus I and a few others will continue asking around to see what it would take to lower the price point, ideally to around $50. The IC form has now been updated in order to see how much more interest would be generated if we could reach this price point, since MOQ plays such a big part.
Last edited by Bass on 26 Aug 2018, 06:08, edited 3 times in total.
Bass

Unread post24 Aug 2018, 18:59

X
Bass

Main keyboard: IBM Model F104 "Unsaver"
Main mouse: Logitech G9x
Favorite switch: Beamspring / Capacitive Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0206

I still feel like $150 is a bit much for these. I think the previous proposed group buy was going to be more like $50, but I don’t have specifics. I feel like you could mill these out of solid aluminum for much less and they’d still paint the same I think. Just a thought to maybe look into as well.
orihalcon

Unread post25 Aug 2018, 03:40

X
orihalcon

Main keyboard: IBM Model F107
DT Pro Member: 0190

Bass wrote:Image
The material will be stainless steel based on previous attempts done for kuato and lot_lizard. Here is what I expect based on the quote they sent me:

MOQ of 5 units: ~$200 + shipping and paypal fees
MOQ of 10 units: ~ $150 + shipping and paypal fees

If it's made out of Stainless Steel then NEVER paint it at all.

The beauty of seeing Stainless Steel is like DeLorean's "Back to the Future" Car, simple perfection when viewing it.

Pity I don't have an IBM 3278, my family would murder me on that purchase, without fail :( .

Good luck on this because it's a reasonable price if you can make it FIT perfectly, within the 3278 without any errors.
Elrick

Unread post25 Aug 2018, 04:04

X
Elrick

Main keyboard: WASD
Main mouse: G400
Favorite switch: BOX Navy Switch, ALPs, Model-M
DT Pro Member: -

orihalcon wrote:I still feel like $150 is a bit much for these. I think the previous proposed group buy was going to be more like $50, but I don’t have specifics. I feel like you could mill these out of solid aluminum for much less and they’d still paint the same I think. Just a thought to maybe look into as well.

Honestly I doubt it. kuato's original estimate was $200-300 which would be ~$50 each if divided by 5, but I am guessing that's per unit based on my experience with all the local shops over the past few weeks, and the unit prices given to me for the MOQs I expect to hit were on a similar order of magnitude.

Yeah, going with stainless steel is probably the biggest reason for the high price, I am sure aluminum would undoubtedly be much cheaper and be sufficient for powdercoating purposes. The main reason I went with stainless steal is because that's what both kuato and lot_lizard went with for their doors (as well as in the previously proposed GB). The latter also said that you'd need to hit a rather high MOQ (~20) in order to get a good unit price. I think it might be best to consult with the shop again on this subject to see if choosing another metal would be sufficient for our purposes. In the meantime I would appreciate it if others (particularly those with a welding or design/engineering background) could chime in with suggestions since nothing is set in stone!
Bass

Unread post25 Aug 2018, 04:22

X
Bass

The problem with expensive stuff is import taxes for us europeans. At a price of $150 and shipping around $30 it would cost an additional $50 in import tax and fees. At $200 that would go up even more.
Half-Saint

Unread post25 Aug 2018, 09:24

X
Half-Saint

Main keyboard: Raptor Gaming K1
Main mouse: Logitech G5 Mk.2
Favorite switch: Cherry MX Blue
DT Pro Member: 0058

There’s an off chance we could have something made like this in Europe for less. If someone technically proficient (not me!) cares to take the lead. We could even get a low enough price it might be worth exporting to you guys in the US.
Muirium
µ

Unread post25 Aug 2018, 10:36

X
Muirium
µ

Main keyboard: HHKB Type-S with Bluetooth by Hasu
Main mouse: Apple Magic Mouse
Favorite switch: Gotta Try 'Em All

Is it possible to get a sample made and modelled in China? I'm based in Singapore but speaks fluent Chinese and could help u with it. It'll definitely be much much cheaper :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
xueyao

Unread post25 Aug 2018, 12:24

X
xueyao

Main keyboard: IBM Model F122 XT Beamspring 3727
Main mouse: Logitech MX Master
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring

It would be so much cheaper to have this made in China. The actual fabrication is a joke for a shop with sheet metal bending equipment, a welder, and a CNC plasma cutter or waterjet. That $150+ quote you're getting is a supplier passive-aggressively saying that this order is too small for them to really care about but they'll do it as a favor in their spare time.

Let me see if I have any leads. I was on kuato's wait list.
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Unread post25 Aug 2018, 14:00

X
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Main keyboard: XMIT Hall Effect
Main mouse: CST L-Trac Trackball
Favorite switch: XMIT 60g Tactile Hall Effect
DT Pro Member: 0093

xueyao wrote:Is it possible to get a sample made and modelled in China? I'm based in Singapore but speaks fluent Chinese and could help u with it. It'll definitely be much much cheaper :)

This might not be a bad idea, actually. If you do not have a 3278 door to use as a reference I can send you a spare that I have.
XMIT wrote:It would be so much cheaper to have this made in China. The actual fabrication is a joke for a shop with sheet metal bending equipment, a welder, and a CNC plasma cutter or waterjet. That $150+ quote you're getting is a supplier passive-aggressively saying that this order is too small for them to really care about but they'll do it as a favor in their spare time.

Sadly I suspect you are correct about this, down to the whole "passive aggressive" part. The very first place I visited quoted $500 each for an order of 2 as I am sure you recall :( . Perhaps due to this experience I thought $150 was a big improvement but I think enough feedback has been left for me at this point that we should try to see if we can get at least a sub $100 price point at a realistic MOQ.
Bass

Unread post25 Aug 2018, 18:47

X
Bass

My goal is $50 each, MOQ 50.
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Unread post26 Aug 2018, 03:38

X
XMIT
[ XMIT ]

Main keyboard: XMIT Hall Effect
Main mouse: CST L-Trac Trackball
Favorite switch: XMIT 60g Tactile Hall Effect
DT Pro Member: 0093

XMIT wrote:My goal is $50 each, MOQ 50.

Would you know of 50 people, actually owning a 3278 model?
Elrick

Unread post26 Aug 2018, 05:29

X
Elrick

Main keyboard: WASD
Main mouse: G400
Favorite switch: BOX Navy Switch, ALPs, Model-M

Hmm, that would definitely be a great price point, that's for sure. Are you also for making the material stainless steel as well?

I agree with Elrick, I feel like 50 MOQ is quite high for a niche product like this. Even at this price I would expect to max out at 20-30 orders, which would mean we'd need to invest around $1k-$1.5k extra to meet the MOQ. To be fair I don't know exactly know how many 3276/3278/3279 owners that would want these assuming the best possible price point.

Given this, I have redone the IC form to instead determine general interest at four approximate price points: $50, $75, $100, and $150:

https://goo.gl/forms/jordhmrVx3McdEQ53

I'll also continue to ask around and get quotes for higher MOQs, so hopefully at least one of us will be able to find a place that will do the job at a good price. Keep us posted!
Bass

Unread post26 Aug 2018, 06:03

X
Bass

Bass wrote:
xueyao wrote:Is it possible to get a sample made and modelled in China? I'm based in Singapore but speaks fluent Chinese and could help u with it. It'll definitely be much much cheaper :)

This might not be a bad idea, actually. If you do not have a 3278 door to use as a reference I can send you a spare that I have.
XMIT wrote:It would be so much cheaper to have this made in China. The actual fabrication is a joke for a shop with sheet metal bending equipment, a welder, and a CNC plasma cutter or waterjet. That $150+ quote you're getting is a supplier passive-aggressively saying that this order is too small for them to really care about but they'll do it as a favor in their spare time.

Sadly I suspect you are correct about this, down to the whole "passive aggressive" part. The very first place I visited quoted $500 each for an order of 2 as I am sure you recall :( . Perhaps due to this experience I thought $150 was a big improvement but I think enough feedback has been left for me at this point that we should try to see if we can get at least a sub $100 price point at a realistic MOQ.
Do u have a CAD file for it that I can send for easier discussion with the Chinese?

xueyao

Unread post26 Aug 2018, 09:30

X
xueyao

Main keyboard: IBM Model F122 XT Beamspring 3727
Main mouse: Logitech MX Master
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring

xueyao wrote:Do u have a CAD file for it that I can send for easier discussion with the Chinese?

Unfortunately I don't. Last week I actually asked a local 3D Printing shop about what it would cost to model a CAD file for it and it wasn't cheap, so I will probably avoid going that route. However I can send you rough measurements for the door along with a reference photo. The job would consist of cutting a slab of metal with these dimensions along with 4 latching tabs, cutting a small insert into the slab, bending it, and then welding on the four latching tabs with holes. That alone should be sufficient information to get a rough ballpark estimate I would think.
Bass

Unread post26 Aug 2018, 10:11

X
Bass

Wanted to post an update: I have continued asking various shops in the area and to be honest, it has kind of been a futile effort. The majority of them refused to do the job outright, and those that didn't have not given me a better price than what I have posted so far. One small welding shop offered to make me a prototype for around $100 which made me hopeful, but they decided not to complete the job since they found making and then welding the 4 metal tabs on to be too tedious. They then said I should try a sheet metal shop, but as I have already said they won't give me a good price point without a very high MOQ. Even though there are so many shops around here, finding the right one for the job has felt like a wild goose chase. I am curious if XMIT has had any better luck than me.

In light of all of this I am thinking the best approach at this point would be to just get a CAD file made for the door and then send it to either a metal 3D printing service or xueyao's Chinese contacts. Since I don't have the required skills for this I tried asking around locally, but again prices were pretty high ($250+). Would anyone on here with CAD experience be willing to provide assistance? To those that can but don't own a 3278, I have a spare door that I can send you.
Bass

Unread post01 Oct 2018, 17:55

X
Bass

I am interested and will keep track of this thread.
codemonkeymike

Unread post02 Oct 2018, 00:46

X
codemonkeymike

Main keyboard: Ergodox
Main mouse: Razer Naga
Favorite switch: Box Jade

Thanks for keeping this alive. I'm still interested in 2 or 3 doors :D
tron

Unread post08 Oct 2018, 03:02

X
tron

Main keyboard: IBM 3278
Main mouse: Mionix Castor
Favorite switch: IBM Beam Spring

If this ever works out I'm down for at least one as well.
FXT
XT

Unread post08 Oct 2018, 05:06

X
FXT
XT

Main keyboard: F107/F122/XT/3278
Favorite switch: Buckling springs
DT Pro Member: 0204