[GB] Model MF - GB CLOSED

Do you have an estimate for the time frame for the plates once they're in your metal fabricator's queue?

Looking at your previous posts, it appears that it took over a month for the final prototype plates to get to you. I am wondering partly because I was not anticipating these delays (though I do not mind at all waiting a bit longer) and may have to request an update for my shipping address.
emdude

Unread post19 Mar 2017, 18:26

X
emdude

Main keyboard: Model M SSK 1397681
Main mouse: Logitech M510
Favorite switch: Beam Spring // Buckling Spring
Club member: 0160

The claim is currently 3 weeks, but we will sort that out late tomorrow afternoon. Apologize if we are running later than anticipation. My life really got in the way with everything. I should have some concrete dates on the plates to share Tuesday. I will have everything hot dipped (Chromate) while the powder coating is taking place.
lot_lizard

Unread post19 Mar 2017, 18:46

X
lot_lizard

Main keyboard: Indy SSK Model MF
Main mouse: Logitech Anywhere MX
Favorite switch: Beamspring
Club member: 0153

lot_lizard wrote:DMA has proposed, and is succeeding at, using software against essentially a single chip to perform the same function. This has real benefits not only now (smaller form factor, somewhat less power consumption by the controller itself, functional flexibility, cheaper to produce, etc...), but certainly in the future since software by its nature is extensible. It's a big deal... if it works!!!

It's not software. It's still good old hardware, just conveniently pre-packaged and with programmable switches inside, so you can connect practically any component to practically any pin (which makes PCB routing SO MUCH EASIER).
lot_lizard wrote:Keep in mind going in, you will learn a lot, but this is a topic that isn't for the faint of heart

Don't go there, I'll prepare a human-readable version soon, in a different post. Probably in deskthority wiki even if allowed to - external websites are just too likely to die. And if deskthority does - well, there will be no one interested in preserving this knowledge if that is allowed happen.
DMA

Unread post19 Mar 2017, 18:49

X
DMA

Main keyboard: AEKII/Unicomp/T420
Main mouse: Trackpoint
Favorite switch: Capacitive buckling spring

DMA wrote:It's not software. It's still good old hardware, just conveniently pre-packaged and with programmable switches inside, so you can connect practically any component to practically any pin (which makes PCB routing SO MUCH EASIER).

And quite interesting hardware at that. The FPGA and ASIC like aspects of that MCU are easy enough to confuse for software at first glance.
Rimrul

Unread post19 Mar 2017, 19:13

X
Rimrul

Main keyboard: G80-3000LQCDE-2 w/ SKIDATA+
Main mouse: Logitech B100
Favorite switch: M Buckling spring, so far

Question: Will there be a round 2?

I'm sure i'm not the only person to miss this amazing GB. Have an Industrial Model M w/ typesetting keycaps that would be perfect :o
Mattr567

Unread post20 Mar 2017, 02:53

X
Mattr567

Main keyboard: Many things
Main mouse: G502
Favorite switch: Alps in general
Club member: -

Short answer: No, at least not from lot_lizard. But there are arguably more exciting things in the works for later MF phases! :mrgreen:

See: group-buys-f50/model-mf-drop-in-kit-for-converting-the-ibm-model-m-into-an-f-t15091-750.html#p357418
emdude

Unread post20 Mar 2017, 03:03

X
emdude

Main keyboard: Model M SSK 1397681
Main mouse: Logitech M510
Favorite switch: Beam Spring // Buckling Spring
Club member: 0160

Mattr567 wrote:Question: Will there be a round 2?

Lot_lizard won't run another GB, but he is making some extras to sell later so he can raise funds for future MF projects.

Also, all of the files are going to be published, so anyone with the funding will be able to use those to produce and sell more of what will probably become known as the Model MF classic.
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

Unread post20 Mar 2017, 03:16

X
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

Main keyboard: IBM Model F-122
Main mouse: Mionix Naos
Favorite switch: Capacitive Buckling Spring (Model F)
Club member: 0159

Previous