I thought I should post this here as well.
Production design bottom:
Price 350 EUR | 1 spot open
payment via Paypal only, for your protection. Price includes paypal fees.
Surface treatment: colored, 3169 noki
surface treatment: colored, 3161 Eebenpuu
surface treatment: colored, 3168 Antiikkitammi
7. Slash Emperor
Material: Grade 'A' 2-3 ply/mm Finnish birch plywood.
Finish: Osmo color TopOil
(add 20 EUR for a colored under coat)
Made to order plates
-no universal plates
-no switch-top removal
-no spare plates or PCBs (monoblock design)
PCB supports the following layouts:
the 5% portion of the 65% PCB can be removed for a 60% layout.
Battery life: 6 to 12 months of normal use
Weight: 550 g including switches and gateron pbt keycaps
Wireless layout updates
2 layers and a dictionary style FN-key support
Change connected host via a key-combo
- there is a delay limited by your devices connection acquisition speed, as the current SDK does not support concurrent links to multiple hosts
(new SDK update in the future might help here)
Firmware will be open sourced after I figure out how it can be made available without breaking nordic semi's terms.
- the (unlikely) worst case scenario is that I will supply GB entrees with a download link and a no-distribution/commercial-use terms.
Firmware can be updated via a SWD interface
Risks and Challenges:
The host switching functionality is not yet implemented
The layer switching feature is not yet implemented
The wireless layout updates do not work as of yet
Open source the firmware
Three months is more than plenty for these three things
If I'm unable to make the wireless layout changes a reality, I'll subtract the price of the SWD interface device from the shipping cost
Catastrophic failures in mechanical construction
Failures in use of power tools
Failures in ordering of laser cut parts
Failures on surface finishing
I make two keyboards for myself and for my dad and will apply all mechanical processes to them before the other 10 boards. This allows me to migitate the initial (very unlikely) 'oh sh*t' moments on something other than your precious boards.
After constructing two of these I already know some of the more error prone processing phases.
I have ordered the parts for the two prototypes from the same laser cut firm and I have not modified the process I use to generate the vector files. Also the price of the case would cover an additional set of case parts should it come to that.
I will have spare parts from each case with which I will be able to test the surface finishing prior to applying them to the cases themselves.
Electrical design failures
I have not built a full keyboard with the components I have on hand.
The controller does function and I have been able to flash a firmware to the one which I soldered together already. The connectivity seems fine as well.
Before shipping to you I will construct my keyboard and use it to validate the electrical design. If problems arise I can order a set of new PCBs/some other components and shift the timeline slightly forward
Paypal does not lift the limits on my paypal account in a timely manner
With the limits currently on my account I can only invoice 7 of the 10 orders. I have been told that the limits would be lifted in a more timely manner as I start invoicing something. The paperwork for paypal has been filled already.
The timeline will shift forward until it has been resolved.
Loss of interest during GB
This has happened before in some GBs here.
Paypal dispute window.
1. Write a post in this thread starting with "I would like to enter"
2. Wait for your name to appear in the OP under 'Participants'
3. PM me your email address and I will reply to it.
4. Select the layout by loading the KLE link and coloring the positions you want with 0x00FF00 (see example for 1st position)
5. Select the surface treatment you wish to have (clear/colored(color code from http://www.osmocolor.com/puuvaha.html)/untreated)
6. send the KLE link and the surface treatment option of your choice to me via email. I will update it to the OP under your position
- if you are unsure about the surface treatment or KLE layout, please have explicit questions as part of the email, so I can answer those easily
- it's possible that the KLE link I have does not fully cover all possibilities there is with the PCB. If you have some specific bottom row layout in mind I can check whether it might work.
- you can also request other customizations in the email regarding for example edge treatment or a fully assebled board option. I will price these based on the work involved
7. after you agree with the information in the OP, email me explicitly stating that you agree with the information (and quote the full information) as well as your paypal account and I will invoice you.
8. postage and -supplies will be invoiced separately after the products are ready for shipping
- shipping will be from Finland
- pick-up in person is possible and preferred (although unlikely considering my location [Helsinki/Finland] )
If you wish to sell your order, please do so only after you receive the goods. In order to protect myself from paypal disputes I will ship the goods only to the holder of the paypal account who made the purchase. Because of obvious reasons no changes to the chosen layout can be made after week 2, and no changes to the surface treatment options after week 4.
Note: Before invoicing I expect to receive responses to emails within 24 hours, as otherwise I cannot lock the production files in a timely manner. I also expect invoices to be paid in 48 hours from issue. Failure to comply with these expectations may lose you your spot.
1. week: GB thread approved and orders in
2. week: layout and order options locked in, invoicing
3. week: order to plywood cutting firm
4. week: acquisition of surface treatment materials and additional assembly tools
5. week: plywood from cutting service, start of assembly
6-8. week: assembly done
8-9. week: mechanical case finishing
9-10. week: surface treatment
10-12. week: postage invoicing & postage
20. week: if you have not received your shipping notification at this point, dispute via paypal.
I will keep an up-to-date progress information (with pictures!) in the next post.