RGB Replica

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Mar 2011, 16:43

Hello.

I had already planned on doing a mass-order for these since a while. These should be considered an addon for the OTD Dolch Replica set (and also Geekhack MO #1 and #3), and therefore will be made by Signature Plastics, using the same font as before. The keycaps will be double shot and for classic winkeyless boards.

The set aims to imitate the ever so popular RGB modifier sets, made by Cherry in the early 90s. I tried to pick the colors close to the sublimation original and I think its a pretty good.

Included:
1x Shift_L (Green)
1x Shift_R (Green)
2x Alt (1.5 size) (Blue)
2x Control (1.5 size) (Red)

Samples/Reference:
Left: Cherry Sublimation RGB Keys
Right: Signature Plastics Color Sample

Production Cost
100x 1.5 size Control (Color RA with black font) - $2.39 / each
100x 1.5 size Alt (Color BFP with black font) - $2.39 / each
50x Shift_R (Color VCS with black font) - $4.74 / each
50x Shift_L (Color VCS with black font) - $4.74 / each
$19.04 per set. I'll round up to $20 since that will also cover the shipping costs from Signature Plastics to me. The final price will be $20 + shipping to you. Depending on how many orders we receive, I might have some sets shipped to someone in the US to help with distribution, otherwise distribution will happen from me in Europe.

The aim is 50 sets. This is very likely to happen, since if we do not reach enough orders here, a Korean friend will help me to collect the rest from OTD.

If you are interested in a set, please leave the amount of sets and name below.

Orders
1: sixty (2 sets, deskthority) - 48
2: webwit (1 set, deskthority) - 47
3: keyboardlover (1 set, deskthority) - 46
4: 우라늄청축 (1 set, OTD) - 45
5: wanabe (1 set, deskthority) - 44
6: nanu (1 set, deskthority) - 43
7: ironman31 (1 set, deskthority) - 42
8: lootbag (1 set, deskthority) - 41
9: CeeSA (1 set, deskthority) - 40
10: mass (1 set, deskthority) - 39
11: kidchunks (1 set, deskthority) - 38
12: DanGWanG (1 set, deskthority) - 37
13: snerual (1 set, deskthority) - 36
14: Brummel (2 sets, deskthority) - 35
15: Peter (4 sets, deskthority) - 31

Addon keys:
sixty
snerual
lootbag
kidchunks
keyboardlover
Brummel
wanabe
duq
Peter

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Mar 2011, 17:14

I'll take 1 set.

keyboardlover

02 Mar 2011, 17:17

1 set for me, please.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Mar 2011, 17:49

I already have another fun set planned up btw, but lets get this one done first.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Mar 2011, 21:19

Update: My buddy got back to me after an interest check over at OTD. Seems we have more than enough people interested. So the order will be changed to 100 sets, which will likely decrease the price a lot. I'll keep you guys updated.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Mar 2011, 22:02

New estimate ~$15 (if 100 sets happen)

Note that we cant exceeds 100 sets, since plastic is limited and SP does not have enough blue in stock (blame the geekhack buy...!)

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Mar 2011, 22:08

I would have bought more if signature plastics offered better quality (not stuff like molding artifacts in front or very thin keycaps) and if Melissa wouldn't have been so rude not to answer my last two emails, after which I never contacted them again. The only reason they still exist at all is that there is no competition.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Mar 2011, 22:13

webwit wrote:I would have bought more if signature plastics offered better quality and if Melissa wasn't so rude not to answer my last two emails, after which I never contacted them again. The only reason they still exist at all is that there is no competition.
Their quality seems much higher with PBT, I don't even see dimples on those. The problem is that these only work out for sublimation, which is much more expensive. I'm surprised she never answered, after all she even replied to my ridiculous Topre questions! I guess your charm only works on certain women.

Speaking of keycaps, I'm sending out yours tomorrow again. I wanna see that V80 exposed finally!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Mar 2011, 22:14

Oh yeah, also with the turn of events, distribution will likely happen from Korea, which ironically will probably make shipping cheaper too.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Mar 2011, 22:43

I only asked if SP were capable of doing triple-shots. She could have said "Sorry, we don't". Instead Melissa thought, hmm, let's put this mail in this trash bin, and let's not answer. Twice.

itlnstln

02 Mar 2011, 22:47

webwit wrote:I only asked if SP were capable of doing triple-shots. She could have said "Sorry, we don't". Instead Melissa thought, hmm, let's put this mail in this trash bin, and let's not answer.
While I don't disagree with this, I have a funny feeling someone else may have inquired about this in a rather annoying and repetitive manner. I'm sure when she saw "triple shot," she pressed Delete and ran.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Mar 2011, 22:48

I wonder who actually made those triple shot keys back then. I've seen pics of triple and even quadruple shot before. All those companies just died out or what?

Gilgam

02 Mar 2011, 22:53

what did she answer to your Topre demand ?
let me guess
No way ?

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Mar 2011, 22:55

itlnstln wrote:
webwit wrote:I only asked if SP were capable of doing triple-shots. She could have said "Sorry, we don't". Instead Melissa thought, hmm, let's put this mail in this trash bin, and let's not answer.
While I don't disagree with this, I have a funny feeling someone else may have inquired about this in a rather annoying and repetitive manner. I'm sure when she saw "triple shot," she pressed Delete and ran.
I would have thought that Melissa, extremely experienced with double-shots, would have been interested in upping the game.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Mar 2011, 22:56

Gilgam wrote:what did she answer to your Topre demand ?
let me guess
No way ?
Its possible but costs $80,000 :P

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Mar 2011, 22:58

Here are those triple and quadruple shot keycaps. A while back, someone on kbdmania pointed me to the right topics with them after I complained about SP and wondered if such a thing was possible at all :D
triple1.jpg
triple1.jpg (322.16 KiB) Viewed 10764 times
quad1.jpg
quad1.jpg (367.77 KiB) Viewed 10764 times
quad2.jpg
quad2.jpg (303.26 KiB) Viewed 10764 times

itlnstln

03 Mar 2011, 01:50

webwit wrote:
itlnstln wrote:
I would have thought that Melissa, extremely experienced with double-shots, would have been interested in upping the game.
I think I see what you did there.

keyboardlover

03 Mar 2011, 02:18

Funny, those quad-shot keys look about as thin as the SP double shots.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Mar 2011, 02:25

I'm more worried about the unholy switches they were mounted on.

wanabe

03 Mar 2011, 03:21

Count me in for at least 1 set please!

nanu

03 Mar 2011, 04:23

i want 1 set

ironman31

03 Mar 2011, 05:40

I'll take 1 set please.

lootbag

03 Mar 2011, 06:56

Count me in for 1 set.

CeeSA

03 Mar 2011, 10:49

i am in for 1 set

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Mar 2011, 16:10

Updating list in a bit. I decided to change the draft a bit, so we are gonna have it done with WHITE TEXT instead of black now. This makes it a bit more unique and mimics the original IBM rgbs:

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Mar 2011, 16:53

Excellent! White looks better.

mass

03 Mar 2011, 18:11

Not a bad idea, for me it would look much better with my Dolch Rep.
I am in for 1 set!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Mar 2011, 19:01

Order deadline is this Sunday.

kidchunks

03 Mar 2011, 19:08

Count me in for 1 set!

Half-Saint

04 Mar 2011, 09:55

ISO or ANSI?

Return to “Group buys”