Interest Check: Duck Viper Keyboard Kit

Hypersphere

13 Dec 2015, 19:14

I do not know how I missed seeing this keyboard previously, given that my favorite form factor is 60% and my favorite layout is HHKB. Lately, I have become interested in Alps and Matias switches and in a relatively new mx clone, the purple Zealio. This led to discovering the Duck Viper, which apparently is available as a kit, but I have only seen it in previous GBs. I have no experience running a GB, and I would not have time to run one myself, but perhaps someone here would be interested in reviving access to this interesting keyboard (and/or its close relative, the Duck Eagle, which has a standard 60% layout).

Here is a link to the Duck Viper and Eagle site:

http://duck0113.tistory.com/81

And here is a pic of the Viper:
DuckViper1.jpg
DuckViper1.jpg (98.02 KiB) Viewed 4743 times

Stabilized

13 Dec 2015, 19:23

If you're just interested in the layout and not the case, Azhdar is doing a GB for just the PCB and the plate over on GH: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74953.0

t!ng
Awake Sheep

13 Dec 2015, 19:24

Man, so many 60% GBs... no love for 75% :(

And since that one

http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/f ... t8311.html

is dead and our money gone...

So sad : (

When will there be a nice 75% GB?

retrochick

13 Dec 2015, 19:29

Consider me as a definite yes. I missed that GB and have been lusting after one for so long. It would be for me the ultimate layout/case for MX.

Hypersphere

13 Dec 2015, 19:40

Stabilized wrote: If you're just interested in the layout and not the case, Azhdar is doing a GB for just the PCB and the plate over on GH: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74953.0
Thanks for the tip. This looks like the more viable option.

mashby

15 Dec 2015, 21:11

Duck has been known to do new rounds on keyboards, but I'm not aware of anything scheduled at the moment for his Viper/Eagle series. Your best bet would be to scan the classifieds. I've seen one-or-two pop up now and again.

skaloola

16 Dec 2015, 10:36

i really doubt that a genuine Duck Viper is a possibility (edit: any time soon at least). i'd be in for a hhkb / viper style (clone?) case. pcb+case are secondary to that imo...

E3E

16 Dec 2015, 14:11

Yeah, we were all a little shocked to see that he had no plans for a new Eagle or Viper for the foreseeable future when he posted his teaser schedule. If I can remember it correctly, it goes like this:

Next up (after Orion v2) is Octagon v2 > Lightsaver v3 > Orion v3

Presumably, the Orion v3 will happen in late 2016 or early 2017, but that's just speculation on my part.
Hypersphere wrote:
Stabilized wrote: If you're just interested in the layout and not the case, Azhdar is doing a GB for just the PCB and the plate over on GH: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74953.0
Thanks for the tip. This looks like the more viable option.
Yep, then all you'd need is a custom case!

Though I know GON's PCBs and I think WKL.kr's PCBs can take a 6u layout, so if you really want that authentic HHKB sizing, you could go that route. A two-part case might be necessary if you want to block out the unused areas ala HHKB!

The Viper is HHKB inspired, but not exact. It uses a 7u space bar, likely for greater compatibility with OG and custom cap sets.

Hypersphere

16 Dec 2015, 18:37

I might go the more conservative route and opt for something like a Duck Eagle design. Even more conservative would be to go with the completely standard layout like the KBP V60MTS, where I would use the far-right modifier on the bottom row as my Fn key. The only advantage in the latter approach would be substituting vintage Alps for Matias switches. The PCB and plate would still have to be modified to upgrade the case. However, I have heard from KBP, and they plan to release a revised V60MTS by the end of December that will have 3 holes for mounting in a standard aluminum 60% case.

E3E

16 Dec 2015, 18:48

Hypersphere wrote: I might go the more conservative route and opt for something like a Duck Eagle design. Even more conservative would be to go with the completely standard layout like the KBP V60MTS, where I would use the far-right modifier on the bottom row as my Fn key. The only advantage in the latter approach would be substituting vintage Alps for Matias switches. The PCB and plate would still have to be modified to upgrade the case. However, I have heard from KBP, and they plan to release a revised V60MTS by the end of December that will have 3 holes for mounting in a standard aluminum 60% case.
Yeah, the V60 wouldn't allow for that classy 101 style 7u bottom row, but a standard layout is very functional, there is no doubt about that, and that is exactly how I use the standard ANSI version of my custom Eagle build. I actually built one in the HHKB style and another in ANSI (though the layouts can be swapped and modified on either) just because I've never had a truly ANSI mechanical keyboard. I always tend to end up with non-standard layouts.

I actually find the ANSI layout to be much more versatile, though I really like the 15u top row and backspace placement of the HHKB layout. It's also quite a bit more aesthetically pleasing to me.

The plate modification shouldn't be so hard. Itzmeluigi has found a technique for using the current plate design with aftermarket cases. It's a bit tricky, but it seems to work.
I used the same method that czarek did, i put the left screw in first, then put the board in, tightened the left screw, and slid the board all the way to the left(a good amount of pressure was required) then i installed and tightened the right screw and slid the board in the center, after i removed the spacebar and installed the third screw. The only downside to this method is it takes a bit of patience to do and a very thin flat head screw driver.

Hypersphere

17 Dec 2015, 01:31

I might have another go at putting my V60MTS in a TEK aluminum 60% keyboard case, although I would like to see if KBP follows through with their revised plate and PCB in models to be released the end of this month. The revised version is supposed to have 3 mounting points for after-market cases; this ought to be sufficient.

Return to “Marketplace Help”