Alps Appreciation

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Sep 2017, 22:52

I meant, all the images get darker towards the top, which is an annoying consequence of using a flash. A white object stood upright behind the subject (out of shot) will help, but I gave up with indoor shots entirely.

Polecat

01 Oct 2017, 04:45

Polecat wrote:
Thanks, points well taken, I do appreciate the tips and suggestions. I'm working in a cramped garage, but I can try the outdoor lighting. The shadow is actually from my finger partway over the flash on my three dollar thrift store camera. I haven't figured out the tiny icons in the menus so that's how I'm adjusting the light level at the moment.

My training is as an engineer, so I'm not very good at following rules or directions. Right now I'm just trying to get the info out there in case I fall off the edge of the Earth or get run over by a Mack truck. But I can probably find a clean(er) towel at least.
The two Northgate 102 keyboards, dated three weeks apart, sans clean(er) cloth. Blue Alps top, white alps bottom. Besides the switches (and missing gold label) the only difference I can find between the two, inside or out, is the green tint to the overlays on the later one. I don't know if they aged differently, or if this was a production change, but I suspect the latter.
Attachments
DSCN9928.JPG
DSCN9928.JPG (783.1 KiB) Viewed 4647 times

Elrick

01 Oct 2017, 11:08

Polecat wrote: The two Northgate 102 keyboards, dated three weeks apart, sans clean(er) cloth. Blue Alps top, white alps bottom. Besides the switches (and missing gold label) the only difference I can find between the two, inside or out, is the green tint to the overlays on the later one. I don't know if they aged differently, or if this was a production change, but I suspect the latter.
I actually like the look of the GREEN tint, something different in the Northgate World 8-) .

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Oct 2017, 14:54

Polecat wrote:
Polecat wrote:
the green tint to the overlays on the later one.
Almost every Northgate that I have gotten has had horribly yellowed overlays, even when the case itself was OK.

Polecat

02 Oct 2017, 07:38

Elrick wrote:
I actually like the look of the GREEN tint, something different in the Northgate World 8-) .
Thanks, I like it too, and I'm pretty sure it came that way. I went through the others I have here, and one second gen Omnikey also has the greenish overlays. It's definitely green rather than yellow, and distinctly different than the two yellowed ones currently on ebay. One of mine has the overlays yellowed like that also, very dark, almost brownish.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

02 Oct 2017, 08:03

Very nice Polecat, that green is awesome!

Elrick

02 Oct 2017, 08:39

Polecat wrote: It's definitely green rather than yellow, and distinctly different than the two yellowed ones currently on ebay. One of mine has the overlays yellowed like that also, very dark, almost brownish.
You have to one day put a GREEN one on Flebay, I may even bid for it ;) .

seebart

02 Oct 2017, 08:45

Elrick wrote:
Polecat wrote: It's definitely green rather than yellow, and distinctly different than the two yellowed ones currently on ebay. One of mine has the overlays yellowed like that also, very dark, almost brownish.
You have to one day put a GREEN one on Flebay, I may even bid for it ;) .
Why bother with Flebay when you could buy it here ?!? I'd love to own one of those.

Elrick

02 Oct 2017, 14:29

seebart wrote: Why bother with Flebay when you could buy it here ?!? I'd love to own one of those.
This place isn't fair at all due to everyone knowing everyone else here, hence the nudge, nudge, wink, wink brigade makes sure the truly BEST keyboards only get handed over to close friends and comrades.

It leaves people like us, the outsiders and freaks in the cold, hence Flebay has become our saviour when it comes to getting any rare keyboards.

It's sad but true...... :cry:

seebart

02 Oct 2017, 14:41

Elrick wrote:
seebart wrote: Why bother with Flebay when you could buy it here ?!? I'd love to own one of those.
This place isn't fair at all due to everyone knowing everyone else here, hence the nudge, nudge, wink, wink brigade makes sure the truly BEST keyboards only get handed over to close friends and comrades.

It leaves people like us, the outsiders and freaks in the cold, hence Flebay has become our saviour when it comes to getting any rare keyboards.

Sorry to hear you feel that way I've had better experiences here even right after I registered!

depletedvespene

02 Oct 2017, 15:36

fohat wrote:
Polecat wrote:
Polecat wrote:
the green tint to the overlays on the later one.
Almost every Northgate that I have gotten has had horribly yellowed overlays, even when the case itself was OK.

... so those overlays were originally blue? :mrgreen:

Polecat

03 Oct 2017, 05:31

Elrick wrote:

Well I'm new here, but maybe I can do something to change that.

I saved a bunch of keyboards from the shredder back in the '80s and '90s, and I'm just now digging them out and deciding what to keep and what to get rid of. As part of the deal I'm trying to document anything that may have "historical" value since I'm not finding a lot of info online on some of what I'm finding in my storage. The Northgates, for example, seem to have a lot of interest, but very little information on the different models and versions. I was there when they came out back in the late '80s, and in fact I went to a local 'puter store with cash in hand to buy one after reading some reviews in the computer magazines. The Omnikey 102 was the only model available at first, and they were on sale for $79 (list price was $99, a lot of money at the time...). But as luck would have it the guy at the store couldn't get his printer to work, so he wouldn't sell me one because he couldn't print a receipt. A few days later I mentioned it to a customer at the surplus place I worked at, and he told me that Leading Edge keyboards used the same Alps switches as the Northgates. The next day he walked in and handed me a Leading Edge 2014, and that instantly became my favorite keyboard on the XT clone I was using. That's when I started using Alps keyboards, and I never looked back. In the years I worked there I had literally tens of thousands of keyboards go through my hands, and I rescued the ones that struck my fancy. That included about a dozen Northgates, which is more than I'll ever be able to use up in the forseeable future.

Elrick

03 Oct 2017, 08:26

Polecat wrote: That's when I started using Alps keyboards, and I never looked back. In the years I worked there I had literally tens of thousands of keyboards go through my hands, and I rescued the ones that struck my fancy. That included about a dozen Northgates, which is more than I'll ever be able to use up in the forseeable future.
Same here, have used at work, my very first job at Coles warehousing depot, a keyboard which oddly enough was a worn out Focus FK-2001 model, with a bung enter key but the rest of the keyboard was sublime. Each switch of that ratted out keyboard had perfectly caressed my fingers and it helped lift my normally abysmal typing speed. My number inputs were quicker, all down to the excellent key-pad of that model.

Have used all types of Cherry Switches, including all the Gaterons, MODs, Zealio's, Kaihl's and various versions of Model M's and Fs plus most of the current Logitech Romer-Gs and tonnes of membrane keyboards made by hundreds of companies from around the world.

It was that awful, dirty, Alps keyboard at Coles, that still to this very day gives me that shiver of excitement because I will one day HOPE to find another keyboard that will remind me of how Great those Alps were. In their heyday they were simple business tools that got the job done but in doing that, they have now set the highest benchmark still not met by all the current keyboard manufacturers, whom seem hell-bent on trying to emulate 'Gaming' credentials.

Elrick

04 Oct 2017, 02:47

SORRY for posting my idiotic rubbish in regards to dealing with people here on DT.

Mainly because this place isn't a complete Cesspit as what Geekhack has become. Naturally my dealings with certain Geekhack scumbags have coloured my perception of what decent and kind members there are here on DT.

Have always had the very best professional dealings with ALL people here except for some Geekhack felchers still supporting their bunghole of a forum site.

So YES, my outburst against this site is totally uncalled for and in every respect, the negativity shown is now directed fully to Geekhack Central. The home for liars and filth that claim they are the World leaders on Keyboards but really they are not. After all how could you believe teenagers who still think, that Razer Keyboards rule the World?

Elrick

04 Oct 2017, 03:58

Also I am NOT forcing Polecat to sell me any of his very fine "Green" NorthGate's because naturally, he can sell it to all those who might deserve it, far more than me.

Although for myself, I have never owned or used any type of NorthGate Keyboard in my lifetime even though everyone has said they are the penultimate in Alps based keyboards that were ever produced.

Still trying to ingratiate myself to him, which you can't blame me from doing ;) .

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Oct 2017, 04:26

Elrick wrote:
Northgate .... they are the penultimate in Alps based keyboards that were ever produced.
I would say that they are the ultimate Alps-based keyboards, construction-wise.

For me, personally, the ideal combination of layout and switch type was not produced, but I have created a pair of "Frankenboards" that come very close: a 101 with near-new blue switches transplanted in via solder, and a new-in-box 101 with top-modded "faux-orange" switches created by substituting orange leaves and springs into otherwise new white switch bodies.

Now if only I could find 2 perfectly matching sets of PBT key caps to replace the Northgate doubleshots ....

Elrick

04 Oct 2017, 09:07

fohat wrote: Now if only I could find 2 perfectly matching sets of PBT key caps to replace the Northgate doubleshots ....
Wouldn't that be a crime in itself, to replace their double shots because they are still far higher quality than what was produced at SP lately?

I know everyone wants PBT which is fine but since you've already got the GREATEST keyboard setup in front of you, then you must be content at least having something that very few people on Earth could ever enjoy.

Chyros

04 Oct 2017, 10:58

Not to mention Alps, especially clicky ones, sound great with thin ABS doubleshots ;) .

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Oct 2017, 14:47

Chyros wrote:
sound great with thin ABS doubleshots
Sound is not so significant to me, but feel is all-important.
PBT feels better than ABS, especially after ABS starts getting slick.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

04 Oct 2017, 20:53

fohat wrote:
Chyros wrote:
sound great with thin ABS doubleshots
Sound is not so significant to me, but feel is all-important.
PBT feels better than ABS, especially after ABS starts getting slick.
I agree that it's somewhat unpleasant when typing on slick ABS >_<
Chyros wrote: Not to mention Alps, especially clicky ones, sound great with thin ABS doubleshots ;) .
I prefer the thicker doubleshot ABS caps for clicky switches, personally. Like AE doubleshots!

Polecat

06 Oct 2017, 04:32

Elrick wrote: Also I am NOT forcing Polecat to sell me any of his very fine "Green" NorthGate's because naturally, he can sell it to all those who might deserve it, far more than me.

Although for myself, I have never owned or used any type of NorthGate Keyboard in my lifetime even though everyone has said they are the penultimate in Alps based keyboards that were ever produced.

Still trying to ingratiate myself to him, which you can't blame me from doing ;) .
Not to worry, consider yourself ingratiated. ;)

The Northgates share a lot of parts with the Focus boards, and if anything are even more solidly built, so you won't be disappointed if you do manage to "force" me to let go of one. But it won't be easy; you might have to say "please" and "thank you" and at least cover the shipping cost.

Elrick

06 Oct 2017, 05:45

Polecat wrote: The Northgates share a lot of parts with the Focus boards, and if anything are even more solidly built, so you won't be disappointed if you do manage to "force" me to let go of one. But it won't be easy; you might have to say "please" and "thank you" and at least cover the shipping cost.
Polecat you shall get that PLUS a whole lot more from me :-D .

Remember when dealing with me, I never take anything off someone unless they're happy with the deal. That is my only business motto when dealing with anyone concerning keyboards.

That GREEN NorthGate of yours, is the Prize I've lusted after since seeing that first picture you've posted here on DT.

I get that strange, tight, sweaty feeling, way down below when the Mrs isn't around and I owe that to your GREEN Northie :shock: .

Daniel Beardsmore

06 Oct 2017, 09:10

Good grief, you need therapy, not a keyboard …

Elrick

06 Oct 2017, 09:28

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Good grief, you need therapy, not a keyboard …
It has been mentioned before.

The other half isn't pleased about my Alps addiction at all, she says this could lead somewhere that I may seriously regret.

Wingklip

06 Oct 2017, 10:46

Elrick wrote:

The other half isn't pleased about my Alps addiction at all, she says this could lead somewhere that I may seriously regret.
You can't cheat with a keyboard. At least, not yet ;)

derzemel

06 Oct 2017, 10:56

Elrick wrote:

Ha, my girlfriend bought me my first mechanical keyboard after I obsessed for over a year.
Now, after I have gathered a pretty ok collection, her reaction is: I gave a kilo of cocaine to an addict hoping that he will give up the addiction. :lol:

Polecat

07 Oct 2017, 06:17

With all the stuff I've posted in the last few weeks it's the green overlays on an old, yellowed keyboard that get folks hot and bothered! Just wow. They don't do anything. There are no switches underneath. They aren't even part of the keyboard as such, just a couple 10 cent pieces of plastic, stuck on almost as an afterthought as a place to mark what your function keys did with a grease pencil or magic marker back in the DOS days.

I'm going to check with the local shop that makes our stick-on logos at work to see if they can duplicate these. There must be five or six people out there with these Northgate boards that would be willing to pay a dollar or two for a set, and then I can quit my day job and ride around in a limo until I think of something better to do with my life. <I wanted to insert a smilie here, but I don't see one that expresses the appropriate level of absurdity>

arkanoid

07 Oct 2017, 08:50

I thought that pale green overlay on omnikeys was a result of yellowing. But it looks like it's not (?). Actually several other omnikeys including those with blue alps also have that green overlay. They might be produced separately, but I don't think there was a production change from grey to green.

Daniel Beardsmore

07 Oct 2017, 14:17

Polecat wrote: With all the stuff I've posted in the last few weeks it's the green overlays on an old, yellowed keyboard that get folks hot and bothered!
For a number of years now I've been hoping that the keyboard community would take research and documentation seriously (both old and new products alike). Instead, new discoveries are forgotten as quickly as they are made, and nothing is ever documented. The only topics of persistent interest are in making absurdly small keyboards (after three and a half years it's clear that I will never get the hang of 60%) and all manner of strange colour combinations.

According to snuci, I belong here. I don't. It's just that there's nowhere where this subject is taken seriously.

No-one gets hot and bothered about vintage technological discoveries, such as prototype membrane elements from DC-50 switches. (Not that they should, as that would be just as weird.)

Polecat

07 Oct 2017, 21:31

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
For a number of years now I've been hoping that the keyboard community would take research and documentation seriously (both old and new products alike). Instead, new discoveries are forgotten as quickly as they are made, and nothing is ever documented. The only topics of persistent interest are in making absurdly small keyboards (after three and a half years it's clear that I will never get the hang of 60%) and all manner of strange colour combinations.

According to snuci, I belong here. I don't. It's just that there's nowhere where this subject is taken seriously.

No-one gets hot and bothered about vintage technological discoveries, such as prototype membrane elements from DC-50 switches. (Not that they should, as that would be just as weird.)
Well I mustn't belong here either then, because I'm really enjoying this.

I'm still intimidated by the learning curve on the wiki thing. I haven't given up yet, but there's no point in doing it wrong, so I'll just keep reading and taking notes for now. But I think I have some info worth sharing, at least on the Alps stuff. I've put together some detailed notes on the Northgates, 33 on the list so far, and it's starting to make sense, at least enough to show that some of the changes were indeed chronological.

I saved a few of the little (SSKB?) IBM boards also, but that's a whole different subject. I also kept some full sized Model M boards including a couple black ones with the pointer in the middle. Not something I'd use myself, but I couldn't stand to see them go to the shredder at a nickel a pound. I wish this site had been around fifteen or twenty years ago when I was still in the surplus biz.

Return to “Keyboards”