Alternative Layouts for HHKB. Does Anyone use Colemak or Dvorak on HHK

gaztec

11 Jan 2017, 16:05

Hi all just wondering if anyone with a HHKB uses alternative layout to QWERTY such as COLEMAK or DVORAK?

If so please tell about your experience! Thanks!

davkol

11 Jan 2017, 20:25

HHKB is yet another non-split, straight, asymmetrically row-staggered keyboard. There's no difference in using DSK or Colemak on it compared to basically any other "standard" keyboard.

The only thing, that the HHKB layout kinda affects, is Backspace position on Colemak.

pietergen

13 Jan 2017, 00:28

I'd say the same. The HHKB essentially is a normal "standard" keyboard (albeit a small one). So typing in whatever layout, like QWERTY or Dvorak, is just like typing in that layout on a bigger keyboard.

I myself prefer Dvorak-like layouts over Qwerty or a 'better Qwerty' such as Colemak. I also like the MTGAP layouts. If you want to read more about layouts, there is always [wiki]wiki/Keyboard_layouts[/wiki] A good read :D

gaztec

24 Jan 2017, 12:34

Hi so i've been learning both Dvorak and Colemak on the HHKB. Only about 6 weeks so far, and with some persistence I can appreciate both.. Current feeling is I don't mind Dvorak , but I like the Colemak rolls ..
My aim is to get fluent in each of Dvorak, Colemak and Qwerty and then decide. I'm already touch typing in QWERTY for many years and (time permitting) I'll be at a relatively decent proficiency with the other two soon.. then I can finally choose.. or just use what I feel like at the time without to much of a speed bump..

However, a have encountered that the HHKB layout CTRL placement makes it difficult to adopt the complete Colemak..Nevermind for now, but I will probably get another topre board down the track (FC660C, RF87U) if it becomes my primary layout..

Thanks for the link :)

Return to “Keyboards”