Dead Focus 2001

Hey there. I recently bought a Focus 2001 from a recycling center. I was using it on my computer via a Soarer's Converter. It was working fine, but sometimes it would take a while to power up. While using it one day I could no longer type and a string of ds (ddddddddddddddddd) came up, and then it died, no lock lights or anything. The converter is fine, as I still use it with my Model F. I'm suspecting the cable, but I'm no expert on these things. Is there a reasonably easy fix for this? Or should I scrap it? I'd rather not throw it out as I like the white Alps switches, and the key caps are great. Not to mention that snazzy dust cover. Thanks!
digital_matthew

Unread post07 Dec 2017, 01:50

X
digital_matthew

Main keyboard: IBM Model F122
Main mouse: It's a Secret.
Favorite switch: Capacative Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: -

digital_matthew wrote:Hey there. I recently bought a Focus 2001 from a recycling center. I was using it on my computer via a Soarer's Converter. It was working fine, but sometimes it would take a while to power up. While using it one day I could no longer type and a string of ds (ddddddddddddddddd) came up, and then it died, no lock lights or anything. The converter is fine, as I still use it with my Model F. I'm suspecting the cable, but I'm no expert on these things. Is there a reasonably easy fix for this? Or should I scrap it? I'd rather not throw it out as I like the white Alps switches, and the key caps are great. Not to mention that snazzy dust cover. Thanks!

The cord wouldn't cause slow power up, but bad electrolytic cap(s) on the PC board might. Those tend to dry out with age, especially if the keyboard was stored and not used for a while. Cheap and easy to change those if you have a soldering iron.
Polecat

Unread post07 Dec 2017, 05:44

X
Polecat

Main keyboard: Monterey K104
Main mouse: Logitech Optical
Favorite switch: Alps Blue

You might want to check out or if necessary replace the D switch. I think if the computer detects a key that's stuck it will protest during boot-up.
Chyros

Unread post07 Dec 2017, 06:24

X
Chyros

Main keyboard: whatever I'm reviewing next :p
Main mouse: a cheap Logitech
Favorite switch: Alps SKCM Blue

Thank you for the replies. I'll re-watch your video on maintaining Alps switches and seeing if that's the problem. If not I may check the caps, but I don't have any diagnostic equipment (or know-how for that matter). I may just change them all.
digital_matthew

Unread post08 Dec 2017, 02:30

X
digital_matthew

Solenoid: ON!
digital_matthew wrote:Thank you for the replies. I'll re-watch your video on maintaining Alps switches and seeing if that's the problem. If not I may check the caps, but I don't have any diagnostic equipment (or know-how for that matter). I may just change them all.

The FK-2001 was sold for many years, so there are different versions, but I'd be surprised if there were more than one or two electrolytic caps on any of them. The other caps rarely go bad, but electrolytics dry out, and sometimes swell up or pop their tops. Those will have an aluminum case with a shrinked-on plastic sleeve covering it, and will have a + and - marking as well as microfarad (uf) and voltage ratings.
Polecat

Unread post08 Dec 2017, 02:57

X
Polecat

Hey so I've decided to try to open this thing and repair it. The trouble is I don't know how to open it. I see those plastic clamps on the back, but I even though I can move them I don't see a way to do it simultaneously. Also are those the only fasteners? Or are there more underneath the rubber feet on the front? Thanks for your help.
digital_matthew

Unread post29 Dec 2017, 02:34

X
digital_matthew

Solenoid: ON!
digital_matthew wrote:Hey so I've decided to try to open this thing and repair it. The trouble is I don't know how to open it. I see those plastic clamps on the back, but I even though I can move them I don't see a way to do it simultaneously. Also are those the only fasteners? Or are there more underneath the rubber feet on the front? Thanks for your help.

Pop the three clips one by one. The case will spread slightly, so no need to do them all at once. Once those are loose, turn the keyboard rightside-up and carefully hinge up the rear of the top cover until it's just clear of the key caps, then slide it towards you to release the front edge. There are clips across the front, but not the type you can release. Those break easily, so care is in order.
Polecat

Unread post29 Dec 2017, 03:20

X
Polecat

Thanks, Polecat! I was able to wrest the top of the case off, and it was way more difficult than it was meant to be. Anyway I found some kind of (spider?) nest under the Tab key which I quickly swabbed out. Thankfully it was abandoned, and the rest of the interior is really clean. So I plugged it in to see what's what, and all the lock lights work; I can turn them off with their respective keys. However none of the keys register. I'm thinking it's a capacitor, but I'm not sure which ones to replace. I attached a pic. Thanks for looking!
Attachments
focus_innards.JPG
digital_matthew

Unread post05 Jan 2018, 21:08

X
digital_matthew

if nothing else, the keycaps look to be in excellent condition!
Daniel Beardsmore

Unread post05 Jan 2018, 23:53

X
Daniel Beardsmore

Main keyboard: Filco Majestouch 1 (home)/Poker II backlit (work)
Main mouse: MS IMO 1.1
Favorite switch: Probably not whatever I wrote here

I no longer have a place here.
The lock lights look like they're all on. That's indicative of an error of some kind. I'm sure there are people here that know more about it :) .
Chyros

Unread post06 Jan 2018, 00:21

X
Chyros

Main keyboard: whatever I'm reviewing next :p
Main mouse: a cheap Logitech
Favorite switch: Alps SKCM Blue

Chyros wrote:The lock lights look like they're all on. That's indicative of an error of some kind. I'm sure there are people here that know more about it :) .

They are all on in the picture, but I can turn them on and off with their respective keys. But none of the keys register when I type.
digital_matthew

Unread post06 Jan 2018, 00:49

X
digital_matthew

digital_matthew wrote:Thanks, Polecat! I was able to wrest the top of the case off, and it was way more difficult than it was meant to be. Anyway I found some kind of (spider?) nest under the Tab key which I quickly swabbed out. Thankfully it was abandoned, and the rest of the interior is really clean. So I plugged it in to see what's what, and all the lock lights work; I can turn them off with their respective keys. However none of the keys register. I'm thinking it's a capacitor, but I'm not sure which ones to replace. I attached a pic. Thanks for looking!

The blue capacitor upper right would be the one to replace, and any others that look like it. But first have you checked that the AT/XT switch is in the correct position? Also try moving that switch back and forth a few times--the contacts can oxidize with age and fiddling with the switch will sometimes get things working.
Polecat

Unread post06 Jan 2018, 02:46

X
Polecat

digital_matthew wrote:snip

The blue capacitor upper right would be the one to replace, and any others that look like it. But first have you checked that the AT/XT switch is in the correct position? Also try moving that switch back and forth a few times--the contacts can oxidize with age and fiddling with the switch will sometimes get things working.

Thanks. I sprayed some contact cleaner into it and moved it back and forth. Alas it didn't work. However, I did flip the board over and noticed some crud on the traces near the cable. I'm thinking of getting some isopropyl alcohol and cleaning them. I'm pretty sure that's the culprit.
Daniel Beardsmore wrote:if nothing else, the keycaps look to be in excellent condition!

Aye, in fact they are my favorite thing about this board.
Attachments
focus_crud.JPG
digital_matthew

Unread post06 Jan 2018, 03:48

X
digital_matthew

Time to break out your DMM.
__red__

Unread post06 Jan 2018, 14:08

X
__red__

Main keyboard: 4704
DT Pro Member: 0186

UPDATE! I know you've all been waiting with baited breath, so here's the conclusion. Okay so I cleaned off the gunk, but that didn't really help, weirdly. So I went ahead and replaced the electrolytic capacitor. And voila! I'm typing away on my Focus 2001. It works pretty well, but the lock lights take a long time to warm up, and F7 doesn't work. I guess that I'll have to replace the switch. Maybe with a blue Alps so I at least have one to play with. Since I use that key pretty much never it will not be on my immediate to-do list. I'm a true blue IBM mech fan, but I can see why people appreciate these switches. Now I just have to find me a pristine blue Alps board at an affordable price. Yeah right. Well thanks for the help, everyone! :D
digital_matthew

Unread post02 Feb 2018, 21:49

X
digital_matthew

It is always the caps, unless you change them first, then that is never the problem :)
rich1051414

Unread post02 Feb 2018, 23:49

X
rich1051414

Main keyboard: Whitefox Zealios 67g
Main mouse: Logitech G900
Favorite switch: Alps Orange

digital_matthew wrote:UPDATE! I know you've all been waiting with baited breath, so here's the conclusion. Okay so I cleaned off the gunk, but that didn't really help, weirdly. So I went ahead and replaced the electrolytic capacitor. And voila! I'm typing away on my Focus 2001. It works pretty well, but the lock lights take a long time to warm up, and F7 doesn't work. I guess that I'll have to replace the switch. Maybe with a blue Alps so I at least have one to play with. Since I use that key pretty much never it will not be on my immediate to-do list. I'm a true blue IBM mech fan, but I can see why people appreciate these switches. Now I just have to find me a pristine blue Alps board at an affordable price. Yeah right. Well thanks for the help, everyone! :D

Well that's good news, but the LEDs being slow to "warm up" is still troubling. Is the polarity of the cap correct? If not it will let you know before long. (...an electrolytic cap connected backwards is electrically similar to a bad one...)
Polecat

Unread post04 Feb 2018, 03:01

X
Polecat

Polecat wrote:
digital_matthew wrote:UPDATE! I know you've all been waiting with baited breath, so here's the conclusion. Okay so I cleaned off the gunk, but that didn't really help, weirdly. So I went ahead and replaced the electrolytic capacitor. And voila! I'm typing away on my Focus 2001. It works pretty well, but the lock lights take a long time to warm up, and F7 doesn't work. I guess that I'll have to replace the switch. Maybe with a blue Alps so I at least have one to play with. Since I use that key pretty much never it will not be on my immediate to-do list. I'm a true blue IBM mech fan, but I can see why people appreciate these switches. Now I just have to find me a pristine blue Alps board at an affordable price. Yeah right. Well thanks for the help, everyone! :D

Well that's good news, but the LEDs being slow to "warm up" is still troubling. Is the polarity of the cap correct? If not it will let you know before long. (...an electrolytic cap connected backwards is electrically similar to a bad one...)

Hey so now the lock lights don't light up at all. I did get the polarity right, but I may have done a crappy soldering job, so that might be the case. I'll redo the job to see if that helps.
digital_matthew

Unread post07 Feb 2018, 16:44

X
digital_matthew