Help adapting the NCR 4950

Okay so the fella from reddit told me to cut the JO jumpers on the board. Ought I do it?
consideringquiet

Unread post15 Jul 2018, 18:36

X
consideringquiet

Main keyboard: AEK II Mitsumi (rotating)
Main mouse: G203
Favorite switch: Orange Alps
DT Pro Member: -

consideringquiet wrote:Okay so the fella from reddit told me to cut the JO jumpers on the board. Ought I do it?

Yeah that is who I got the photos from so I would give it a shot. He seemed quite knowledgeable about this conversion.
TheInverseKey

Unread post15 Jul 2018, 20:08

X
TheInverseKey

Main keyboard: NMB RT-101+
Main mouse: G502
Favorite switch: Hi-Tek 725 Clicky

TheInverseKey wrote:
consideringquiet wrote:Okay so the fella from reddit told me to cut the JO jumpers on the board. Ought I do it?

Yeah that is who I got the photos from so I would give it a shot. He seemed quite knowledgeable about this conversion.

So on the board the JO1 jumper was already cut, but I think there may be some more on the board as another jumper says JO3.
consideringquiet

Unread post16 Jul 2018, 00:11

X
consideringquiet

consideringquiet wrote:
TheInverseKey wrote:

So on the board the JO1 jumper was already cut, but I think there may be some more on the board as another jumper says JO3.

I have an update on this board and the information about the jumpers and the voltage regulator. I thought that this board looked familiar and that it was a board that was rebranded for a bunch of other companies that would be using them for their terminals. Well it turned out I was right when I recently purchased an ADDS ASCII and it had all of the jumpers already in place. Now mine didn't come with the voltage regulator so it just take the 5 volts.

Jumpers:
Here is a picture of the jumpers that came on my ADDS ACSII
Spoiler:

Voltage regulator:
I also have a NMB PC 122 with a voltage regulator and this board according to others on the forum needs more than the regular 5 volts. These NMB/Hi-Tek boards needs 9 volts because they are meant for a terminal that would be able to supply it.

Going to be using a teensy to convert this rather than use the cable that came with it because it was not in the greatest condition. Will be reporting back once I have the converter done and or issue/other information that I find.
TheInverseKey

Unread post25 Jul 2018, 22:12

X
TheInverseKey

Update here is the pinout for converting it after the jumper wires have been put in.

This is based on the at rj11 conncector that came with my board. For a better understanding have a look at the picture of when it is connected to a teensy.
6 = reset - red
5 = data - green
4 = case gnd - black shielded
3 = clock - yellow
2 = sg gnd - black shielded
1 = vcc +5v - white
Bottom

Top is the original cable and the bottom is the teensy cables:
Spoiler:
TheInverseKey

Unread post26 Jul 2018, 01:01

X
TheInverseKey

Well i cut the jumpers and no dice. I suppose this project might be dead in the water for me now. I cant get a teensy in time for college nor do i have the equipment or knowledge to really wire one together.

Any last ditch ideas to deal with the power issue?
consideringquiet

Unread post28 Jul 2018, 04:34

X
consideringquiet

consideringquiet wrote:Well i cut the jumpers and no dice. I suppose this project might be dead in the water for me now. I cant get a teensy in time for college nor do i have the equipment or knowledge to really wire one together.

There is 2 options I think:

Here is something that another user said to use to get the correct voltage. This should bump the voltage to 9v but I would check to see how much is going to the controller before doing anything.
https://www.pololu.com/product/2116

Or you could remove the voltage regulator and see if it works with the normal 5v but there is a bit of difference in the components used between your board and mine. You would have to find all of the missing components that are different to make it work.
TheInverseKey

Unread post28 Jul 2018, 21:50

X
TheInverseKey

TheInverseKey wrote:
consideringquiet wrote:Well i cut the jumpers and no dice. I suppose this project might be dead in the water for me now. I cant get a teensy in time for college nor do i have the equipment or knowledge to really wire one together.

There is 2 options I think:

Here is something that another user said to use to get the correct voltage. This should bump the voltage to 9v but I would check to see how much is going to the controller before doing anything.
https://www.pololu.com/product/2116

Or you could remove the voltage regulator and see if it works with the normal 5v but there is a bit of difference in the components used between your board and mine. You would have to find all of the missing components that are different to make it work.

Thanks! I'll definitely take a look, but also it seems like there was a miscommunication between me and the reddit fella. I was supposed to cut the JA wires and leave the JO alone. I needed to solder the JO jumpers anyway since one was cut and another didn't have a jumper to begin with. so I'll be up to trying that.

If this doesnt work I'll move onto those options. I really hope i can get this working before the end of august!
consideringquiet

Unread post29 Jul 2018, 19:52

X
consideringquiet

I'm starting to think I should just delegate these projects to other people... Whenever I touch things like this they just turn to trash. I'm like the Midas of breaking keyboards I swear

The guy off Reddit pointed out that I had the correct wiring, and said I likely fried the board. What do I do now?
consideringquiet

Unread post15 Sep 2018, 22:25

X
consideringquiet

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

Unread post15 Sep 2018, 23:20

X
snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

Main keyboard: IBM SSK (typing) / Custom 75% Zealio (gaming)
Main mouse: BenQ ZOWIE EC1-A
Favorite switch: Dampened Cream Alps (minus dampeners)
DT Pro Member: 0205

snacksthecat wrote:Image

Right?
consideringquiet

Unread post18 Sep 2018, 22:23

X
consideringquiet

No but really if you desolder the IC on it and replace it with a Teensy++ 2.0, you'd have a fully programmable keyboard. And there's no chance of frying the board because, well, there's nothing to fry!
snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

Unread post19 Sep 2018, 00:50

X
snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

Main keyboard: IBM SSK (typing) / Custom 75% Zealio (gaming)
Main mouse: BenQ ZOWIE EC1-A
Favorite switch: Dampened Cream Alps (minus dampeners)
DT Pro Member: 0205

Previous