IBM M58, the 60% Model M, Very SSK or however IBM called it

It seems odd that a keyboard based on the membrane buckling springs design would be a prototype for the PCjr keyboard, seeing as the Model M was introduced two years after the PCjr. The first Model M (and all of the others that were actually built by IBM) had a large controller board in the back, so it seems unlikely that a miniature version would have been created two or more years before the actual Model M prototype. It's also suspicious that we haven't seen the back or underside of this keyboard. Chopping a standard Model M case and rounding out the sides wouldn't be that hard if the back of the case wasn't an issue. It may indeed be a prototype or very specialized space-saver built by IBM (or Lexmark), but I don't think it would have been for the PCjr. My instincts, plus the fact that this looks like a bolt mod, and the layout being very much "in style", tell me that this is a high-quality chop.
digital_matthew
User avatar

Unread post12 Nov 2018, 17:37

User avatar
X
digital_matthew
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 29 Nov 2017, 17:08
Location: United States
Main keyboard: IBM Model F122
Main mouse: It's a Secret.
Favorite switch: Capacative Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: -
 
 
Solenoid: ON!
Pumaeggs wrote:2) the form factor. I almost refuse to believe that IBM would produce a keyboard for a general market that didnt even have an escape key. Function layers would have been a pretty interesting idea at the time, especially because function keys and numpads were the norm at the time. Moving from a full sized to a 60% would have been a big ass jump.

I pretty much agree with all of your other points, but I disagree with this one, and to discard it, here is a single picture :
Image
Myoth
User avatar

Unread post12 Nov 2018, 17:43

User avatar
X
Myoth
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 09:19
Location: Strasbourg
Main keyboard: Realforce 86u
Main mouse: EC1-A
Favorite switch: Cap BS
DT Pro Member: -
 
If it were a chop job I'd expect someone would have made a thread about it. There's an artisan on it so theoretically its owner is part of the community so its weird that they haven't posted much about it.

I wonder how much it would cost to get the case/membrane/barrel plate made for something like this? The rest could be sourced from unicomp or an old M for pretty cheap, and a ribbon connector with a teensey works for a controller. Heck, the barrel plate could be sourced from an existing m too if you had to.
zrrion
User avatar

Unread post12 Nov 2018, 18:53

User avatar
X
zrrion
 
Posts: 177
Joined: 13 Mar 2018, 05:16
Location: Indianapolis
Main keyboard: Zenith ZTX-11-Z
Main mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse
Favorite switch: ALPS SKCC Green
DT Pro Member: -
 
zrrion wrote:I wonder how much it would cost to get the case/membrane/barrel plate made for something like this? The rest could be sourced from unicomp or an old M for pretty cheap, and a ribbon connector with a teensey works for a controller. Heck, the barrel plate could be sourced from an existing m too if you had to.

The case and membranes are the expensive parts. I have designed custom M and F, but I only do F's now because the cost of high quality PCB are significantly less than even not-great-quality membranes in low volumes.
wcass
User avatar

Unread post12 Nov 2018, 22:03

User avatar
X
wcass
 
Posts: 496
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 21:18
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
Main keyboard: ibm model m
Main mouse: kensington expert mouse
Favorite switch: buckeling spring
DT Pro Member: 0185
 
The obvious solution would be to put a small magnet on the end of the flipper and put a hall effect sensor or a magnetic reed in the board. :P

A more workable solution might be to make a discrete membrane switch. That would cut down on the difficulties with making a new membrane for every variation, and would still use model M parts which are way easier to source than model F parts.
Of course that's a moot point if someone decides to start producing barrels/flippers beyond the end of Ellipse's second run.
zrrion
User avatar

Unread post13 Nov 2018, 00:57

User avatar
X
zrrion
 
Posts: 177
Joined: 13 Mar 2018, 05:16
Location: Indianapolis
Main keyboard: Zenith ZTX-11-Z
Main mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse
Favorite switch: ALPS SKCC Green
DT Pro Member: -
 
I could totally see a DIYer model M kit with discrete switches, oh man what a dream : D

IBM_5576-A01_18.jpg


IBM_5576-A01_11.jpg
andrea-i

Unread post13 Nov 2018, 03:39

X
andrea-i
 
Posts: 111
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 09:43
Location: Italy
DT Pro Member: -
 
Myoth wrote:
I pretty much agree with all of your other points, but I disagree with this one, and to discard it, here is a single picture :
Image

oh duh how could i have been so stupid i completely forgot about the kishsaver
Pumaeggs

Unread post14 Nov 2018, 14:29

X
Pumaeggs
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 28 Sep 2018, 15:23
Location: United States
Main keyboard: Custom 60% blank keycaps, Vintage MX Blacks(Lubed)
Main mouse: Microsoft Intelimouse optical 5 button (1998)
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring(NC) /Alps integrated rubber dome
DT Pro Member: -
 
Doesn't clickclack own this keyboard? The mischief making, aloof playful movie prop maker who is also extremely expert in plastics? This keyboard has been posted and discussed many times over the almost 10 years since it was "found."

I am not saying this keyboard isn't real. Or that independently IBM never made a similar keyboard. They very well may have, or had some external company do it. Remember when Kishsavers were a shock? But a member of the community could have solved this mystery with a few photographs and a typed paragraph at any time over the last 10 years. Why not? If he wanted to "Find" all the others before to make a buck, surely 10 years is enough time right? The only evidence this keyboard exists comes from Clickclack. He found it in some gallery and then wow it works? That is cool for him I suppose. I am not mad. It has an integrated capslock light unlike 100% of IBM keyboards ever seen? Never to tell anyone about it again? He even had/s it in his geekhack signature coyly reminding you of it's existence... this keyboard is a work of art. It is either the rarest keyboard ever, some prototype, or a source of amusement for clickclack.
SneakyRobb

Unread post14 Nov 2018, 23:06

X
SneakyRobb
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 03 Oct 2014, 01:41
Main keyboard: Model F 122
Main mouse: Logitech
Favorite switch: Springs!!
DT Pro Member: -
 
SneakyRobb wrote:Doesn't clickclack own this keyboard? The mischief making, aloof playful movie prop maker who is also extremely expert in plastics? This keyboard has been posted and discussed many times over the almost 10 years since it was "found."

I am not saying this keyboard isn't real. Or that independently IBM never made a similar keyboard. They very well may have, or had some external company do it. Remember when Kishsavers were a shock? But a member of the community could have solved this mystery with a few photographs and a typed paragraph at any time over the last 10 years. Why not? If he wanted to "Find" all the others before to make a buck, surely 10 years is enough time right? The only evidence this keyboard exists comes from Clickclack. He found it in some gallery and then wow it works? That is cool for him I suppose. I am not mad. It has an integrated capslock light unlike 100% of IBM keyboards ever seen? Never to tell anyone about it again? He even had/s it in his geekhack signature coyly reminding you of it's existence... this keyboard is a work of art. It is either the rarest keyboard ever, some prototype, or a source of amusement for clickclack.

I'm not sure if it's an original IBM keyboard or not but it fits very well to a precise moment in keyboard development. As I stated before, the PCjr style leds and mods and the fact that PS/2 buckling springs appear as a cheap alternative just when PCjr keyboards fiasco, the new PCJr keyboards and the keyboards in the JX ("sucessor" of PCjr)... Of course the fact that no information was given since then is not good news but we can dream.

I take a good time looking for info about PCjr and the JX because it was a very interesting machine from my point of view and this keyboard remains a mistery as the keyboard the people at Sierra got when they recieved the PCjr prototype, the keyboard of the PCjr Plus Dvorak columnist talked back then...

You never know what you can find and if you are going to find information about it... For example, I found this not so long ago...

Mouse-output.jpg
Excelso

Unread post14 Nov 2018, 23:45

X
Excelso
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 16 Sep 2014, 15:46
Location: Spain
Main keyboard: Monoprice Blade
Main mouse: Wacom INTUOS
Favorite switch: Cherry MX red
DT Pro Member: -
 
Excelso wrote:
I'm not sure if it's an original IBM keyboard or not but it fits very well to a precise moment in keyboard development. As I stated before, the PCjr style leds and mods and the fact that PS/2 buckling springs appear as a cheap alternative just when PCjr keyboards fiasco, the new PCJr keyboards and the keyboards in the JX ("sucessor" of PCjr)... Of course the fact that no information was given since then is not good news but we can dream.

I take a good time looking for info about PCjr and the JX because it was a very interesting machine from my point of view and this keyboard remains a mistery as the keyboard the people at Sierra got when they recieved the PCjr prototype, the keyboard of the PCjr Plus Dvorak columnist talked back then...

You never know what you can find and if you are going to find information about it... For example, I found this not so long ago...

Mouse-output.jpg

I agree with you. I think we will continue to occasionally find new interesting and novel keyboard related items and histories.

All I'm saying is that an active member of the community owns this board. They have owned it for 9 years.

There is no mystery, the end.

All we have are some low res pictures supplied by that person. Who has the resume of expert keycap maker, prop maker, and aloof playfulness. This isn't a case of us searching for kishsavers and contacting recyclers. We have no evidence aside from that information supplied from one of us. That person has the single example of this board. Where is the tear down? Where is the documentation? At any time he could have shared information about it. Isn't it just a little bit odd that one of us literally owns this keyboard and just never talks about it. Don't you think? Why no video being like "this is what this is?" The geekhack signature is literally a small image of the board. Playful it seems like to me.

I'd love to be surprised and I have done my own share of trying to find out about it. I've contacted the IBM archives asking. Haven't heard back. Have looked up again and again. That keyboard very well may be some pcjr prototype. It could some electric typewriter detachable piece. Some system 32/34 etc control console etc etc etc.... No one knows.... one of literally knows and can solve this right now. That is my problem with this.
SneakyRobb

Unread post15 Nov 2018, 00:06

X
SneakyRobb
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 03 Oct 2014, 01:41
Main keyboard: Model F 122
Main mouse: Logitech
Favorite switch: Springs!!
DT Pro Member: -
 
SneakyRobb wrote:
Excelso wrote:
I'm not sure if it's an original IBM keyboard or not but it fits very well to a precise moment in keyboard development. As I stated before, the PCjr style leds and mods and the fact that PS/2 buckling springs appear as a cheap alternative just when PCjr keyboards fiasco, the new PCJr keyboards and the keyboards in the JX ("sucessor" of PCjr)... Of course the fact that no information was given since then is not good news but we can dream.

I take a good time looking for info about PCjr and the JX because it was a very interesting machine from my point of view and this keyboard remains a mistery as the keyboard the people at Sierra got when they recieved the PCjr prototype, the keyboard of the PCjr Plus Dvorak columnist talked back then...

You never know what you can find and if you are going to find information about it... For example, I found this not so long ago...

Mouse-output.jpg

I agree with you. I think we will continue to occasionally find new interesting and novel keyboard related items and histories.

All I'm saying is that an active member of the community owns this board. They have owned it for 9 years.

There is no mystery, the end.

All we have are some low res pictures supplied by that person. Who has the resume of expert keycap maker, prop maker, and aloof playfulness. This isn't a case of us searching for kishsavers and contacting recyclers. We have no evidence aside from that information supplied from one of us. That person has the single example of this board. Where is the tear down? Where is the documentation? At any time he could have shared information about it. Isn't it just a little bit odd that one of us literally owns this keyboard and just never talks about it. Don't you think? Why no video being like "this is what this is?" The geekhack signature is literally a small image of the board. Playful it seems like to me.

I'd love to be surprised and I have done my own share of trying to find out about it. I've contacted the IBM archives asking. Haven't heard back. Have looked up again and again. That keyboard very well may be some pcjr prototype. It could some electric typewriter detachable piece. Some system 32/34 etc control console etc etc etc.... No one knows.... one of literally knows and can solve this right now. That is my problem with this.

I got your point. Even if clickclack is playing with my mind it has been a good time searching the holy grail. Even if this keyboard doesn't exist at all I have discovered a lot of things just by that pair of pictures.
Excelso

Unread post15 Nov 2018, 00:47

X
Excelso
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 16 Sep 2014, 15:46
Location: Spain
Main keyboard: Monoprice Blade
Main mouse: Wacom INTUOS
Favorite switch: Cherry MX red
DT Pro Member: -
 
Excelso wrote:
I got your point. Even if clickclack is playing with my mind it has been a good time searching the holy grail. Even if this keyboard doesn't exist at all I have discovered a lot of things just by that pair of pictures.

Hey right on. Me too.
Every year or so I remember this keyboard and spend 40-60 hours over 1 week and just typing all the combinations of keyboard, indicator mode, indicator light, alphameric, cap lock, capslock, shiftlock, membrane, console, terminal, etc etc etc into various engines and databases. Looking even at other companies who could have made this. I have even gone to the library a few times I must admit...

Maybe this time i'll find it was an IBM japan export brother buckling spring prototype I say. Maybe I am close this time, this type of board has a light!... maybe some variant..

I sort of concluded a long time ago that clickclack probably manufactured this for fun. It is endlessly intriguing though because I still believe it is entirely plausible that a similar keyboard exists or has been made by ibm. Even if this one is some kind of Clickclack joke, I have spent a lot of time as well learning and researching into ibm keyboards. That in itself has been enjoyable and informative. I agree with you whole heartedly in that regard.
SneakyRobb

Unread post15 Nov 2018, 02:21

X
SneakyRobb
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 03 Oct 2014, 01:41
Main keyboard: Model F 122
Main mouse: Logitech
Favorite switch: Springs!!
DT Pro Member: -
 
andrea-i wrote:I could totally see a DIYer model M kit with discrete switches, oh man what a dream : D

Neat, what keyboard is this?
XMIT
User avatar
[ XMIT ]

Unread post24 Nov 2018, 02:08

User avatar
X
XMIT
[ XMIT ]
 
Posts: 3484
Joined: 21 Dec 2014, 15:32
Location: Austin, TX area
Main keyboard: XMIT Hall Effect
Main mouse: CST L-Trac Trackball
Favorite switch: XMIT 60g Tactile Hall Effect
DT Pro Member: 0093
 
TIM图片20181124120532.png


Don't want to be an ass, but you meant "deduce" here, right?
Mr.Nobody
User avatar

Unread post24 Nov 2018, 04:06

User avatar
X
Mr.Nobody
 
Posts: 873
Joined: 13 Dec 2016, 10:20
Location: China
Main keyboard: IBM Model M/F
Main mouse: Lenovo Big Red Dot
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: -
 
XMIT wrote:
andrea-i wrote:I could totally see a DIYer model M kit with discrete switches, oh man what a dream : D

Neat, what keyboard is this?

Those are the brother buckling spring switches used by IBM in japan on the 5576 keyboards, and they are a freaggin cool.
andrea-i

Unread post24 Nov 2018, 16:11

X
andrea-i
 
Posts: 111
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 09:43
Location: Italy
DT Pro Member: -
 
Mr.Nobody wrote:
TIM图片20181124120532.png


Don't want to be an ass, but you meant "deduce" here, right?

I'm pretty sure both exist and mean the same thing :?
Myoth
User avatar

Unread post24 Nov 2018, 16:15

User avatar
X
Myoth
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 09:19
Location: Strasbourg
Main keyboard: Realforce 86u
Main mouse: EC1-A
Favorite switch: Cap BS
DT Pro Member: -
 
Myoth wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote:
TIM图片20181124120532.png


Don't want to be an ass, but you meant "deduce" here, right?

I'm pretty sure both exist and mean the same thing :?

It's a "false friend". It usually means "substract".
Excelso

Unread post24 Nov 2018, 16:46

X
Excelso
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 16 Sep 2014, 15:46
Location: Spain
Main keyboard: Monoprice Blade
Main mouse: Wacom INTUOS
Favorite switch: Cherry MX red
DT Pro Member: -
 
oh, I see, god damn faux-amis >:(
Myoth
User avatar

Unread post24 Nov 2018, 17:30

User avatar
X
Myoth
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 09:19
Location: Strasbourg
Main keyboard: Realforce 86u
Main mouse: EC1-A
Favorite switch: Cap BS
DT Pro Member: -
 
 
what is this ?
Surprised that no one has posted the IBM PCjr keyboard yet. Pretty much a 65% keyboard. :lol:

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 8.08.40 AM.png
madrobby
User avatar

Unread post25 Nov 2018, 13:10

User avatar
X
madrobby
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 07 Aug 2018, 03:18
Location: Bucks County, PA, USA
DT Pro Member: -
 
It's decent? shiiieet I may have to get one from cindy!
green-squid
User avatar

Unread post25 Nov 2018, 13:13

User avatar
X
green-squid
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 11:19
Location: Hungary
Main keyboard: Lexmark Dell Model M
Main mouse: Lenovo Scrollpoint optical
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: -
 
green-squid wrote:It's decent? shiiieet I may have to get one from cindy!
it's as decent as the 'Nam, as both gave PTSD to the oldest members of DT :lol:
Myoth
User avatar

Unread post25 Nov 2018, 13:19

User avatar
X
Myoth
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 09:19
Location: Strasbourg
Main keyboard: Realforce 86u
Main mouse: EC1-A
Favorite switch: Cap BS
DT Pro Member: -
 
 
what is this ?
oh crap, i thought this was the 'decent domes' thread!
green-squid
User avatar

Unread post25 Nov 2018, 13:27

User avatar
X
green-squid
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 11:19
Location: Hungary
Main keyboard: Lexmark Dell Model M
Main mouse: Lenovo Scrollpoint optical
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: -
 
green-squid wrote:It's decent? shiiieet I may have to get one from cindy!

The pictured one is the "second iteration". It's generally acknowledged as being less indecent as the first keyboard that came with the PCjr, but quite indecent on its own, nevertheless. Don't bother getting one — you'll regret it.
depletedvespene
User avatar

Unread post03 Dec 2018, 01:22

User avatar
X
depletedvespene
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: 13 Jul 2017, 21:11
Location: Chile
Main keyboard: IBM Model F122
Main mouse: Logitech G700s
Favorite switch: buckling spring
DT Pro Member: -
 
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: boomgopher, ebonitas, FXT, geezee, JP!, Keybug, mannyluvstacos, Myoth, Sangdrax and 65 guests