IBM Model M2 - are they as bad as people say?

I have seen Thomas' review of this keyboard and it is definitely a flawed keyboard (Capacitor issues, feel issues). But is it atleast 'pretty good'? in your opinion? I think it shouldn't be that bad after replacing the caps and cleaning the membranes.

:?:
green-squid

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 20:41

X
green-squid

Main keyboard: Lexmark Dell Model M
Main mouse: Lenovo Scrollpoint optical
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: -

I like 'em. Buckling springs in a "modern" format. The question is, do you compare to a 1985 Model M, or to a real modern shit keyboard? On the scale it's definitely more towards that Model M. Relatively near even.
webwit
Wild Duck

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 20:43

X
webwit
Wild Duck

Main keyboard: HHKB Pro II
Favorite switch: IBM beam spring
DT Pro Member: 0000

Subjective of course --
But I prefer the size and the typing feel of the M2 over the M.
wobbled

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 20:44

X
wobbled

Main keyboard: HHKB Hipro
Main mouse: Microsoft IMO 1.1A White
Favorite switch: Capacitive Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0192

It's not a bad keyboard, it's just hard as hell to put back together after fixing the inevitable capacitor issue. My M2 broke apart after trying to fix mine, since it's held together with cheap plastic rivets that break if you sneeze.
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 20:49

X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Main keyboard: Varmilo VA87MR
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Alps SKCM Blue
DT Pro Member: 0129

I proxy anything, including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: wiki/User:Blaise170
Blaise170 wrote:It's not a bad keyboard, it's just hard as hell to put back together after fixing the inevitable capacitor issue. My M2 broke apart after trying to fix mine, since it's held together with cheap plastic rivets that break if you sneeze.

Uh oh. That's not a good thing!
green-squid

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 20:53

X
green-squid

In my opinion, nasty keyboards! Hard to take apart and reassemble. Typing feel is very cheap compared to Ms. I won't even put warranty on one that does work, because I know they die so easily.
elecplus

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 21:02

X
elecplus

DT Pro Member: 0082

The small form-factor is a plus, but it doesn't have the graceful curve that a proper M has. Also in my experience the key feel is inconsistent and rougher than an M, especially an old rainbow-backplated square badge. It was a pretty good value overall; a genuine IBM buckling springs keyboard for cheap, although recent ebay activity would tend to refute that.
digital_matthew

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 21:07

X
digital_matthew

Main keyboard: IBM Model F122
Main mouse: It's a Secret.
Favorite switch: Capacative Buckling Spring

digital_matthew wrote:The small form-factor is a plus, but it doesn't have the graceful curve that a proper M has. Also in my experience the key feel is inconsistent and rougher than an M, especially an old rainbow-backplated square badge. It was a pretty good value overall; a genuine IBM buckling springs keyboard for cheap, although recent ebay activity would tend to refute that.

Screw those eBay sellers trying to flip M2s for big money! It's like even though they already drove up the prices of regular Ms, they thought they didn't have enough money and just drove up M2s as well because RARE IBM VINTAGE KEYBOARD CLICKY!!!!
green-squid

Unread post08 Mar 2018, 21:27

X
green-squid

The M2 is a shame - it was a good idea that could have been a winner, but they chose to change the things that were important rather than the things that weren't, at least construction-wise.

The Model M is already a cheap flimsy downgrade of the Model F, although in a better format.

M2 is a further cheapening and plasticing of the original M in an even better format.
fohat
Elder Messenger

Unread post09 Mar 2018, 01:02

X
fohat
Elder Messenger

Main keyboard: Model F 122-key terminal
Main mouse: Microsoft Optical Mouse
Favorite switch: Model F Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0158

This is the ONLY IBM emblem keyboard, to which I can physically twist it in opposite directions and break it in the middle.

Only keyboard ever I could fully destroy in less than 40 seconds. That says something about how low down IBM mechanical keyboards had fallen, after producing this cheapo crap.

I know some arse-clowns are trying to offload this garbage on Flebay. You would really be disappointed on the wastage and land fill this will eventually go to.

Save your money....avoid at all costs. FACT - Sometimes having an IBM emblem doesn't guarantee you anything anymore.
Elrick

Unread post09 Mar 2018, 04:00

X
Elrick

Main keyboard: WASD
Main mouse: G400
Favorite switch: BOX Navy Switch, ALPs, Model-M

I'm not a fan of the M2. There are much better options in the original Model M and especially the Model F.
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

Unread post09 Mar 2018, 04:49

X
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

Main keyboard: IBM Model F-122
Main mouse: Mionix Naos
Favorite switch: Capacitive Buckling Spring (Model F)
DT Pro Member: 0159

Can you solder? Can you acquire it for a handful of Forints?
If it's a yes to both, sure, go ahead; otherwise? Caveat emptor, as per other posters.
Darkshado

Unread post09 Mar 2018, 04:53

X
Darkshado

Main keyboard: MS Sculpt Ergo (work); Model F122 (home)
Main mouse: Logitech M510 (work), G502 + CST L-Trac (home)
Favorite switch: Buckling spring, MX Clear, SKCM Cream Dampened

They feel a little less refined and the case is pretty bad but overall no they are not as bad as people say at all. In fact i quite like them , the sound is way more ping than a M in my opinion.

I have several Ms A ghetto indy a square label a NIB SSK, M2 and a blue label , and honestly the blue label feels the worst by miles, the rest are all good but just feel different. I would say the m2 is on part with a mid range nothing special M.

They dont feel better than older Ms tho.
andrewjoy

Unread post09 Mar 2018, 13:40

X
andrewjoy

Main keyboard: Filco ZERO green alps, Model F 122 Terminal
Main mouse: Ducky Secret / Roller Mouse Pro 1
Favorite switch: MX Mount Topre / Model F Buckling
DT Pro Member: 0167

The M2 is like the AK47 of Model M boards. You can take the whole thing apart very easily, and it's not difficult to reassemble once you've done it the first time.

You get the best parts of the M (same hammers / springs, PBT caps - in a lower profile), with a compact footprint and full size layout.

It has a bad reputation due to the capacitor issue, but these are easy enough to replace - I've done it on 3 of my boards. Yes the case flexes, but this isn't noticeable if you actually use the keyboard for its intended purpose.

There's no reason for keyfeel to be any different as the springs / hammers are identical to those in the M - they are interchangeable.
balotz

Unread post09 Mar 2018, 23:18

X
balotz

Favorite switch: Futaba clicky (yes really)

I tried to remake one into a SSK by cutting and patching the membrane but my new traces broke too easily.

Has anybody tried bolt-modding a M2?
Findecanor

Unread post10 Mar 2018, 01:31

X
Findecanor

Main keyboard: Changes from day to day
Main mouse: Wowpen Joy (modified)
Favorite switch: I have yet to find it...
DT Pro Member: 0011

Fuck you Google for ruining YouTube!
Findecanor wrote:I tried to remake one into a SSK by cutting and patching the membrane but my new traces broke too easily.

Has anybody tried bolt-modding a M2?

That would be interesting because the barrel plate is also the case top, and the only rigid thing behind it that you could bolt into is the case back. If someone fabricated a steel plate to go between the case top and case back you could bolt into it and increase rigidity.
digital_matthew

Unread post10 Mar 2018, 03:31

X
digital_matthew

Main keyboard: IBM Model F122
Main mouse: It's a Secret.
Favorite switch: Capacative Buckling Spring

balotz wrote:There's no reason for keyfeel to be any different as the springs / hammers are identical to those in the M - they are interchangeable.

Since the metal backplate also plays a part in the "keyfeel", I doubt that.
I got enough Ms - my fingers know the difference.

Plus, the M2 doesn't have the curvature of the M. Depending on your typing habits, that may count as a positive or negative deviation - for me, it was the reason to sell that ****ing piece of **** I got as part of a bigger deal as soon as I had the capacitors fixed. It simply felt awful, buckling springs or not.
Arakula

Unread post15 Mar 2018, 17:08

X
Arakula

Main keyboard: Unicomp PC/5250

I brought back 2 of them from the dead. Covered in pigeon crap and whatnot, caps busted and all, so I know a little something about them XD

1) Reliability: stabilized keys are so by a plastic flexible tab that is actual part of the keycap. Once those crack, it's over. It's good to have spares even before you start to mess with one.
2) Capacitors: they are not so hard to desolder and solder new ones. But putting the case together again is a ROYAL PITA. Luckily, if you don't let them sleep for years, new caps are good for a LOT of time.
3) There is a rubber dust cover beneath the hammers and the membranes. It warps and deforms. Don't remember if the thing still works if you leave it out, but I think it doesn't.
4) Even after putting it together for the 5th time, some keys would simply not register properly, or register twice sometimes. A PITA to type on and actually use.

The type feel is somewhat model M-esque, although not as pleasant. Better than most shitty rubber domes but not better than good ones IME (see: reliability). If you are really a hands on DIYer and want to tackle one of this, beware, it can sink you hours and hours and still not be the best.
If not, and you are expecting to use it, it better be damn perfect.
spongebob1981

Unread post19 Mar 2018, 12:49

X
spongebob1981

Main keyboard: IBM/M
Favorite switch: ALPS

i have no idea to be honest with you i don't see what all the fuss is about.. IBM model x ..model Y..
for me personally it reminds me of work.. as i have worked for years @ibm most of it was good.. but near the end when all jobs had to be moved to India.. i was basically documenting my work so that low skilled people could do it hahaha..
I don't mind more power to them.. still i don't want to be typing @home all day on something that reminds me of work !!
besides the second switch that has such a hype are topre at least one can buy those and with sum smart Hassu controller make it modern as shit !! which i have done.. and i switch between mx-clears i need to mod ..and topre which i have modded .. i really don't seem myself typing on IBM anything..hahaha but that's just me.. if the tech gets ported to new modern boards perhaps i'l consider it..
TuxKey
LLAP

Unread post19 Mar 2018, 13:29

X
TuxKey
LLAP

Main keyboard: Leopold FC660C, Leopold FC660M mx-clears
Main mouse: Apple Magic Trackpad, ducky Secret (PBT mouse)
Favorite switch: Cherry MX-clear, Topre 45gr/55gr
DT Pro Member: 0137

It's easy to mod an F107, F122, F104, F AT to a modern layout and the Ellipse Fs will also have a modern layout. I use an XT every day and the layout doesn't bother me one bit. I wouldn't discount them entirely.
FXT
XT

Unread post19 Mar 2018, 13:45

X
FXT
XT

Main keyboard: F107/F122/XT/3278
Favorite switch: Buckling springs
DT Pro Member: 0204

I like the feel of the M2 over the M. Feels more crisp to me, and closer to how an F feels. Build quality is bad though.

Thought I should edit before I get hate, my opinion is unpopular and subjective. I would always recommend trying one, but for a daily usage board I wouldn't recommend one due to build quality.
Touch_It

Unread post19 Mar 2018, 21:19

X
Touch_It

Main keyboard: Unicomp Classic USB 103 key (work) IBM F 4704 107
Main mouse: Logitech g502 Proteus Core
Favorite switch: Buckling spring (yet to try Beam Spring)

Touch_It wrote:I like the feel of the M2 over the M. Feels more crisp to me, and closer to how an F feels. Build quality is bad though.

Thought I should edit before I get hate, my opinion is unpopular and subjective. I would always recommend trying one, but for a daily usage board I wouldn't recommend one due to build quality.

Man, haven't seen you around in forever. :lol:
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Unread post20 Mar 2018, 17:02

X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Main keyboard: Varmilo VA87MR
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Alps SKCM Blue
DT Pro Member: 0129

Darkshado wrote:Can you solder? Can you acquire it for a handful of Forints?
If it's a yes to both, sure, go ahead; otherwise? Caveat emptor, as per other posters.

Funny story: I wound up buying an M2 for a few dollars a mere nine days after writing this.
Darkshado

Unread post21 Mar 2018, 02:20

X
Darkshado

Main keyboard: MS Sculpt Ergo (work); Model F122 (home)
Main mouse: Logitech M510 (work), G502 + CST L-Trac (home)
Favorite switch: Buckling spring, MX Clear, SKCM Cream Dampened

Blaise170 wrote:
Touch_It wrote:I like the feel of the M2 over the M. Feels more crisp to me, and closer to how an F feels. Build quality is bad though.

Man, haven't seen you around in forever. :lol:

I've been lurking, but haven't posted in a considerable while.
Touch_It

Unread post21 Mar 2018, 14:52

X
Touch_It

Main keyboard: Unicomp Classic USB 103 key (work) IBM F 4704 107
Main mouse: Logitech g502 Proteus Core
Favorite switch: Buckling spring (yet to try Beam Spring)