IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

Commodore keyboard that isn't in the wiki. BTC judging by keycaps?
Keybug
User avatar

Unread post06 Feb 2018, 19:05

User avatar
X
Keybug
 
Posts: 157
Joined: 29 Mar 2017, 19:22
Location: Germany
Main keyboard: Life is 2short for one "daily driver"!
Main mouse: Logitech G700s
Favorite switch: The jury's still out...
Club member: -
 
I'm curious why you think BTC. For old BTC I'd expect the Key Tronic typeface on the keycaps, and a metal back panel.
Daniel Beardsmore
User avatar

Unread post06 Feb 2018, 22:03

User avatar
X
Daniel Beardsmore
 
Posts: 5605
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 18:23
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Main keyboard: Filco Majestouch 1 (home)/Poker II backlit (work)
Main mouse: MS IMO 1.1
Favorite switch: Probably not whatever I wrote here
Club member: -
 
Saw this old terminal board when watching 2003 BSG. Thought maybe you guys might have an idea what it is. Looks like microswitch maybe? Keys are in alphabetic order which is strange.

Image
Sangdrax

Unread post06 Feb 2018, 23:41

X
Sangdrax
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 06:50
Location: Acadiana
Main keyboard: Harris 1978 Terminal
Main mouse: Mammoth
Club member: -
 
The top part of that terminal looks very fabricated, but the bottom part does look like it is based around a keyboard module out of something. The keys being in alphabetic order is not the original way the keyboard is laid out. Look at the K and L key sublegends. They were originally positioned on the right, not left.
rich1051414

Unread post07 Feb 2018, 07:01

X
rich1051414
 
Posts: 211
Joined: 24 Sep 2017, 02:19
Location: US
Main keyboard: Whitefox Zealios 67g
Main mouse: Logitech G900
Favorite switch: Alps Orange
Club member: -
 
Yeah, just talking about the keyboard. The thing above it is obviously an oscilloscope that's been gutted and the guts replaced with a color lcd.
Sangdrax

Unread post07 Feb 2018, 10:54

X
Sangdrax
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 06:50
Location: Acadiana
Main keyboard: Harris 1978 Terminal
Main mouse: Mammoth
Club member: -
 
Reminds me of a Micro Switch keyboard but hunting down the exact model of a vintage board like that will probably be near impossible.
Blaise170
User avatar
Alps is Love

Unread post07 Feb 2018, 15:36

User avatar
X
Blaise170
Alps is Love
 
Posts: 898
Joined: 30 Oct 2014, 22:18
Location: Boston, MA
Main keyboard: Avid KB-654
Main mouse: Logitech G602
Favorite switch: Blue Alps SKCM
Club member: 0129
 
 
Just returned from an extended hiatus! I've been gone since 2016 so if you needed me in the meantime, sorry. Feel free to ask me anything now though. ;)
Obviously I was mistaken in thinking it was the Key Tronic font when it only somewhat resembles it. Yeah, they do also have those black metal backpanels now that I think of it.

So any further ideas what it is?
Daniel Beardsmore wrote:I'm curious why you think BTC. For old BTC I'd expect the Key Tronic typeface on the keycaps, and a metal back panel.
Keybug
User avatar

Unread post07 Feb 2018, 20:35

User avatar
X
Keybug
 
Posts: 157
Joined: 29 Mar 2017, 19:22
Location: Germany
Main keyboard: Life is 2short for one "daily driver"!
Main mouse: Logitech G700s
Favorite switch: The jury's still out...
Club member: -
 
Blaise170 wrote:Reminds me of a Micro Switch keyboard but hunting down the exact model of a vintage board like that will probably be near impossible.

It looks like a module out of a vintage portable pc or terminal keyboard... The color scheme looks a bit like acorn...

One thing is for sure, those are not alps profile used in Alps terminal keyboards, usually sporting SKCC switches. I like the green on cream color scheme though, and I have seen quite a few sets that look similar, perhaps there was inspiration you could track back?
rich1051414

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 00:24

X
rich1051414
 
Posts: 211
Joined: 24 Sep 2017, 02:19
Location: US
Main keyboard: Whitefox Zealios 67g
Main mouse: Logitech G900
Favorite switch: Alps Orange
Club member: -
 
Keybug wrote:Obviously I was mistaken in thinking it was the Key Tronic font when it only somewhat resembles it. Yeah, they do also have those black metal backpanels now that I think of it.

So any further ideas what it is?

It has a lot in common with the Commodore KPQ-E99YC (keycaps, LED cover¹ etc) and since Commodore used Mitsumi extensively, it's most likely Mitsumi, probably KPQ Type or KKQ Type.

¹ depicted elsewhere
Daniel Beardsmore
User avatar

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 00:31

User avatar
X
Daniel Beardsmore
 
Posts: 5605
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 18:23
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Main keyboard: Filco Majestouch 1 (home)/Poker II backlit (work)
Main mouse: MS IMO 1.1
Favorite switch: Probably not whatever I wrote here
Club member: -
 
Thanks, you're spot on as usual. Seems to be a very rare specimen, though, couldn't find pictures of that model anywhere else...
Keybug
User avatar

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 11:04

User avatar
X
Keybug
 
Posts: 157
Joined: 29 Mar 2017, 19:22
Location: Germany
Main keyboard: Life is 2short for one "daily driver"!
Main mouse: Logitech G700s
Favorite switch: The jury's still out...
Club member: -
 
Any idea what this thing can be?

https://i.imgur.com/1DicQm5.jpg
Jimi14

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 16:24

X
Jimi14
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 20 Oct 2014, 20:40
Location: Sundsvall, Sweden
Main keyboard: SUH 105DA W39-463
Main mouse: AeroCool Templarius Gladiator
Favorite switch: Dont know (yet)
Club member: -
 
Jimi14 wrote:Any idea what this thing can be?

https://i.imgur.com/1DicQm5.jpg

Have any other pictures?
Blaise170
User avatar
Alps is Love

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 16:38

User avatar
X
Blaise170
Alps is Love
 
Posts: 898
Joined: 30 Oct 2014, 22:18
Location: Boston, MA
Main keyboard: Avid KB-654
Main mouse: Logitech G602
Favorite switch: Blue Alps SKCM
Club member: 0129
 
Jimi14 wrote:Any idea what this thing can be?

https://i.imgur.com/1DicQm5.jpg

It looks exactly like board from this post
keyboards-f2/identify-this-keyboard-thread-t10405-1740.html#p385223

Should have SKCL cream switches.
ball00n

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 16:40

X
ball00n
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 07 Apr 2017, 12:53
Location: Ukraine
Main keyboard: DZ60 split spacebar w/ 5° kbdfans case
Club member: -
 
ball00n wrote:
Jimi14 wrote:Any idea what this thing can be?

https://i.imgur.com/1DicQm5.jpg

It looks exactly like board from this post
keyboards-f2/identify-this-keyboard-thread-t10405-1740.html#p385223

Should have SKCL cream switches.

Oh... talk about a bad time to have no money then, would really want it if does have cream alps. (It currently sits at the equivalent of ~60$ with 7 days left.) :(
Jimi14

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 16:53

X
Jimi14
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 20 Oct 2014, 20:40
Location: Sundsvall, Sweden
Main keyboard: SUH 105DA W39-463
Main mouse: AeroCool Templarius Gladiator
Favorite switch: Dont know (yet)
Club member: -
 
Jimi14 wrote:Oh... talk about a bad time to have no money then, would really want it if does have cream alps. (It currently sits at the equivalent of ~60$ with 7 days left.) :(

With 21 bids... I think people who bid on it actually recognized the board. Good luck anyway.
ball00n

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 17:01

X
ball00n
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 07 Apr 2017, 12:53
Location: Ukraine
Main keyboard: DZ60 split spacebar w/ 5° kbdfans case
Club member: -
 
Could someone PM me the link to that auction? I won't bid, just want to know roughly how much I could have gotten for mine (I posted the previous photos in this thread) that I have since traded for a Wang modded with brown ALPS . Thanks!
Keybug
User avatar

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 19:27

User avatar
X
Keybug
 
Posts: 157
Joined: 29 Mar 2017, 19:22
Location: Germany
Main keyboard: Life is 2short for one "daily driver"!
Main mouse: Logitech G700s
Favorite switch: The jury's still out...
Club member: -
 
Keybug wrote:Could someone PM me the link to that auction? I won't bid, just want to know roughly how much I could have gotten for mine (I posted the previous photos in this thread) that I have since traded for a Wang modded with brown ALPS . Thanks!

https://www.tradera.com/item/340854/302...l-retro-pc
Starfoxes

Unread post09 Feb 2018, 21:58

X
Starfoxes
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 10:47
Location: S
Main keyboard: Focus FK-2001
Favorite switch: Alps SKCM Blue
Club member: -
 
Thanks!
Keybug
User avatar

Unread post09 Feb 2018, 22:19

User avatar
X
Keybug
 
Posts: 157
Joined: 29 Mar 2017, 19:22
Location: Germany
Main keyboard: Life is 2short for one "daily driver"!
Main mouse: Logitech G700s
Favorite switch: The jury's still out...
Club member: -
 
Starfoxes wrote:
Keybug wrote:Could someone PM me the link to that auction? I won't bid, just want to know roughly how much I could have gotten for mine (I posted the previous photos in this thread) that I have since traded for a Wang modded with brown ALPS . Thanks!

https://www.tradera.com/item/340854/302...l-retro-pc
That horizontally flipped photo tho... I think my brain shut down for a second there.
Techno Trousers
User avatar
100,000,000 actuations

Unread post09 Feb 2018, 22:45

User avatar
X
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations
 
Posts: 919
Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 01:16
Location: California
Main keyboard: IBM Model F-122
Main mouse: Mionix Naos
Favorite switch: Capacitive Buckling Spring (Model F)
Club member: 0159
 
Keybug wrote:Thanks!

Considering the price on Brown Alps these days, I'm sure you got a very fair deal, even if this goes astronomical.
E3E
User avatar

Unread post09 Feb 2018, 22:48

User avatar
X
E3E
 
Posts: 910
Joined: 19 Apr 2015, 10:53
Location: United States
Main keyboard: Hammer Alps, Xerox Docutech, Fame TH-5539, FK-555
Main mouse: Logitech Marathon M705 / Razer Naga Epic Chroma :o
Favorite switch: Alps Lover :)
Club member: -
 
I received this picture from a local contact of mine. I don't have more pictures yet. The keys remind me of Microswitch. I'll try and acquire it regardless though. Anyone here recognize this one?

IMG_2735.JPG
JP!
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 13:54

User avatar
X
JP!
 
Posts: 574
Joined: 01 May 2017, 03:49
Location: United States
Main keyboard: Currently a Model M
Main mouse: Steel Series Sensei
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring
Club member: 0194
 
Image

I'm 90% sure this is a beamer but I need confirmation !
Myoth
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 14:45

User avatar
X
Myoth
 
Posts: 451
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 09:19
Location: France
Main keyboard: IBM F107
Main mouse: Cooler Master Devastator 2
Favorite switch: Cap BS
Club member: -
 
90% sure!?! How so? Beamsprings were only found in IBM keyboards. I can't say I've seen any IBM keyboard like this before but others here have been around a lot longer than myself.
JP!
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 14:49

User avatar
X
JP!
 
Posts: 574
Joined: 01 May 2017, 03:49
Location: United States
Main keyboard: Currently a Model M
Main mouse: Steel Series Sensei
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring
Club member: 0194
 
 
"Two things in this world can make life meaningful: having the strength to forge your own destiny, to live by your own rules, and not be swayed by the whims and wishes of others; and really sticking it to some stranger on the internet."
That color scheme is awesome, but the font doesn't exactly match the Beamspring font, look at ÄÖÜ, ^# and the Shift symbols: Image
(from this thread)
Nuum
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 14:51

User avatar
X
Nuum
 
Posts: 1560
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 22:38
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Main keyboard: FaceU 60% (60g Clears), Phantom (Nixdorf Blacks)
Main mouse: Steelseries Kana V2/Logitech G9
Favorite switch: 60g MX Clears/Brown Alps/Buckling spring
Club member: 0084
 
well 90% from the visuals at least, the fact that the profile is the same, and that even the space between the "error reset" key and the case makes think it does, but yeah it you don't think about this it could be a major disappointment as it's nothing like any other Beamspring, it's just so look-a-like, I might have gotten ahead of myself because of how well this clone is. It's probably not a beamer :oops:
Myoth
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 14:54

User avatar
X
Myoth
 
Posts: 451
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 09:19
Location: France
Main keyboard: IBM F107
Main mouse: Cooler Master Devastator 2
Favorite switch: Cap BS
Club member: -
 
Untitled.png
cml
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 17:30

User avatar
X
cml
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 30 Sep 2015, 20:17
Location: Barcelona, EU
Club member: -
 
Myoth wrote:well 90% from the visuals at least, the fact that the profile is the same, and that even the space between the "error reset" key and the case makes think it does, but yeah it you don't think about this it could be a major disappointment as it's nothing like any other Beamspring, it's just so look-a-like, I might have gotten ahead of myself because of how well this clone is. It's probably not a beamer :oops:

Still a really cool looking board and might be worth the buy anyways. If you do end up nabbing it you ought to post some pictures about it, would be interesting to see what is under those gorgeous caps. :)
Brett MacK
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 17:41

User avatar
X
Brett MacK
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 18 Dec 2017, 20:11
Location: New Hampshire
Main keyboard: Northgate Omnikey 102
Main mouse: Logitech G403
Favorite switch: White Clicky Hi-Tek 725
Club member: -
 
Brett MacK wrote:
Myoth wrote:well 90% from the visuals at least, the fact that the profile is the same, and that even the space between the "error reset" key and the case makes think it does, but yeah it you don't think about this it could be a major disappointment as it's nothing like any other Beamspring, it's just so look-a-like, I might have gotten ahead of myself because of how well this clone is. It's probably not a beamer :oops:

Still a really cool looking board and might be worth the buy anyways. If you do end up nabbing it you ought to post some pictures about it, would be interesting to see what is under those gorgeous caps. :)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/historisches-Co...0011.m1850
it was an auction :/
Myoth
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 17:50

User avatar
X
Myoth
 
Posts: 451
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 09:19
Location: France
Main keyboard: IBM F107
Main mouse: Cooler Master Devastator 2
Favorite switch: Cap BS
Club member: -
 
cml wrote:
Untitled.png

WYSE, looks like a rubber dome version.
Blaise170
User avatar
Alps is Love

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 18:25

User avatar
X
Blaise170
Alps is Love
 
Posts: 898
Joined: 30 Oct 2014, 22:18
Location: Boston, MA
Main keyboard: Avid KB-654
Main mouse: Logitech G602
Favorite switch: Blue Alps SKCM
Club member: 0129
 
Thanks.
cml
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 19:26

User avatar
X
cml
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 30 Sep 2015, 20:17
Location: Barcelona, EU
Club member: -
 
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ball00n, depletedvespene, dr_derivative, green-squid, MarisaMonteiro, Mattr567, nickle3246 and 71 guests