McDonnell Douglas: Anyone Know *Anything* About Them?

Charlie_Brown_MX

10 Apr 2012, 21:23

fossala wrote:How do you like the blue alps? I have 110 on the way.
I’ve played with them for a while, but properly typed on them (my adaptors haven’t arrived yet). I really liked them though; not as nice as the dampened whites in the Apple Extended II, but better than the blacks in my AT102W. They feel to me like softer, quieter buckling springs.

Where did you manage to source the switches themselves? I’m always on the lookout for spare parts.

fossala
Elite +1

10 Apr 2012, 22:09

Bought them from someone on here. He posted in "how much is my....worth" thread. I pm'd him and said if he wanted to sell 110 give me a pm.

off

10 Apr 2012, 22:39

koralatov wrote:They’re right-angled DIN connectors.
damn lights crampin my style

hoggy

13 Apr 2012, 19:25

Mine arrived yesterday. Pie poor packaging. Shrink wrap. Cardboard. Shrink wrap. If I'm lucky they crossed their fingers. Case is cracked and the board rattles. :evil:

I'm not plugging it in until I've checked out the inside.

...and it's pie yellow. :(

Charlie_Brown_MX

14 Apr 2012, 19:42

hoggy wrote:Mine arrived yesterday.  Pie poor packaging.  Shrink wrap.  Cardboard.  Shrink wrap. If I'm lucky they crossed their fingers.  Case is cracked and the board rattles.
Mine two came wrapped singly in nearly an inch of bubble-wrap, which was then shrinkwrapped , then wrapped in cardboard, then shrinkwrapped again.  Maybe they used up most of their packing material on my two?
...and it's pie yellow. :(
Retrobright!

Charlie_Brown_MX

09 May 2012, 12:45

fossala wrote:How do you like the blue alps? I have 110 on the way.
Just realised I hadn’t replied to this. Sorry about that!

I really like them, but I am a big fan of ALPS switches generally — I use a Dell AT102W at work, and an AEKII at home. The blue feel like the blacks in the Dell, but with a slightly more pronounced ‘bump’ at the tactile point. They feel ‘sharper’ than the dampened whites in the AEKII, which I imagine is due to the rubber dampener in each switch.

ripster

09 May 2012, 16:33

Izza
Lurker Prime

09 May 2012, 22:00

ripster wrote:Most collectors consider Blue ALPS the best ALPS.
That's because they are. :D

jcrouse

14 May 2012, 23:06

When I was in a technical college in the mid to late 80's MD had their own CAD package. It had proprietary hardware, monitors, mainframe type cabinet for backend storage, digitizer tablets and probably keyboards. I believe the software was called Professional Cadam. The splash screen actually said McDonnel Douglas on it. They were a big recruiter at the school.

John

Return to “Keyboards”