Model F AT not working

Hey all, I got an F AT off of ebay a few weeks back, but I've had no luck getting it going. The seller said it was working when he last used it, but that was over 6 months ago. I ordered a soarer's converter off ebay, but had no response from the keyboard when plugging it in, from looking at HID listen it seemed like the keyboard was not being detected. I forced set 2 on the soarer's but still no luck. Then I ordered an AT-PS2 converter and plugged that into my server. I haven't tried using it properly as I don't have a screen plugged into that machine, but I got no caps lock or scroll lock lights, even after a system reset with the keyboard plugged in.

So, any ideas? Any further tests I can do, or should I just bite the bullet and order an xwhatsit?
Shifty

Unread post26 Nov 2018, 04:05

X
Shifty

Main keyboard: Leopold FC660C
Main mouse: Logitech G400
Favorite switch: undecided
DT Pro Member: -

Have you tried to disassemble and assemble it after some clean? Maybe the part connecting to the controller got some problem, try it.
SilenceGoo

Unread post26 Nov 2018, 05:43

X
SilenceGoo

Main keyboard: IBM MODEL M
Main mouse: logic mx master 2s
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring

I've taken it apart completely, yes, couldn't see any obvious problems. I'm not too knowledgeable on electronics but I tested the keyboard's cable with a multimeter and couldn't see any problems there either.
Shifty

Unread post26 Nov 2018, 10:01

X
Shifty

it would be helpful to take a picture of the controller board maybe there is a component that needs replacing and that is why it appears to be dead?
Anakey

Unread post26 Nov 2018, 10:15

X
Anakey

Main keyboard: Planck
Main mouse: Cyborg Rat 7
Favorite switch: Alps skcm white

You can try replacing the electrolytic capacitors, they may have dried up or began to drift off value. It's a common thing for aging electronics.. If you can, send a picture of the PCB. Maybe it will help to diagnose the issue

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
cnrmsn

Unread post29 Nov 2018, 04:37

X
cnrmsn

Main keyboard: IBM Model F XT
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Capacitive buckling spring

@Shifty: Which Soarer's converter and which At-PS/2 converter did you buy? I've had good results with Orihalcon's Soarer's converters and with the "Blue Cube" active converter along with an AT-PS/2 adapter.
Hypersphere

Unread post29 Nov 2018, 23:17

X
Hypersphere

Main keyboard: Silenced & Lubed HHKB (Black)
Main mouse: Logitech G403
Favorite switch: Topre 45/55g Silenced; Various Alps; IBM Model F
DT Pro Member: 0038

Thanks for the input guys! Here are some pictures, as I say, looks ok to me but I am no expert. The pcb is kinda warped as you can see in the last pic, but I don't think this would affect through-hole components much right?

Hypersphere, I got the soarer's converter from the seller tinkerboy on ebay, the AT-ps2 converter is just some generic one, I was under the impression you did not need an active converter for that conversion?
Shifty

Unread post01 Dec 2018, 09:46

X
Shifty

I've never tried tinkerboy products. I have purchased many internal and external converters from Orihalcon, and they have always worked as intended. Regarding adapters/converters for "vintage" IBM keyboards, I have always used active converters, and they have always worked for me.
Hypersphere

Unread post01 Dec 2018, 16:17

X
Hypersphere

Main keyboard: Silenced & Lubed HHKB (Black)
Main mouse: Logitech G403
Favorite switch: Topre 45/55g Silenced; Various Alps; IBM Model F
DT Pro Member: 0038

Would you like take a photo for this part with more details, especially for the cables for connection? Once time, I got an f at with no luck working also, end up finding the different color cables messed.
Attachments
cable.png
John Doe

Unread post04 Dec 2018, 00:50

X
John Doe

Main keyboard: IBM Model F
Main mouse: Logic G903 wireless
Favorite switch: Capacitive Buckling Spring