mx brown for me?

British

07 Mar 2011, 11:14

AFAIAC, most of the other switches are too heavy.
And I'm staying with Cherry MX for the time being, so no adventuring for me :p

Zykos

08 Mar 2011, 01:17

If you;re scared the other switches are too heave, just stay away from mx black and i think you're fine.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2011, 01:23

Reminds me of the Cherry Black From Hell (no longer in my possession).

On the bottom Cherry 5000, under the keys on the left. I measured over 150g (I couldn't balance more weight on the keys).

wanabe

08 Mar 2011, 02:08

what the...why did it require so much force? was it faulty?

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2011, 02:09

To prevent you from accidentally pressing those keys, I think.

bxt

08 Mar 2011, 12:57

My first purchase was keyboard with cherry mx blacks. I dont regret it, but i still feel like experiencing with other type of switches. The gaming is awesome (maybe except SC2 - I could imagine browns would be better). Typing is great too, unless i am not too tired. When i am paying less attention, i make lots of typos. This didnt really happen on my old membrane keyboard.

I would go for blue (If you dont mind the noise) or browns (which are not so widely avalaible in europe though).

British

08 Mar 2011, 13:10

Distribution is not really a problem, but as always your wallet is the limiting factor.

For european ISO layouts, you have The Keyboard Company.
They sell Filco and Topre stuff, so the price might be a bit steep.

If you don't mind getting an ANSI board, you can find Filco, Ducky, Archiss/Leopold in Asia, and buy them without too much hassle.
It could be via agents (Taobao and such) or directly (ArmyGroup, for instance).
In case you need help for purchasing there, GeekHack got you covered (unless there's an equivalent information on Deskthority).

strike015

08 Mar 2011, 15:47

i recommend trying mx brown if want tactile feedback for when you type, since it's pretty good for gaming too(not too heavy)
but if you dont care for tactile feedback and tend to bottom out when you type anyway then you'll probably want mx black or mx red, with red being the lighter switch of the two. i myself find the black a bit too heavy for my taste but that's probably due to the fact that i play sc2 quite a bit.
so it basically comes down to tactile feedback(mx brown)
preventing accidental keypress(mx black)
or if you care not for either of the above(mx Red)

but do try them out if you can get your hands on them since first hand experience counts the most, hope you find the right keyboard/switch for you =]

bxt

08 Mar 2011, 17:02

Well yes - there are some resellers across the europe (thekeyboard co), but they only offer couple of international layouts. The shipping is also quite high (around 1/4 - 1/3 of the price of the keyboard).

I hope they will start selling Leopolds too in the near future.

zakazak

09 Mar 2011, 05:45

The thin with keyboards in europe is.. either u get really expensive Filco´s from europe (theykeyboardcompany) or you buy cheap leopolds from e.g. EK (the otaku one: even with shipping + custom fees it would be cheaper than a filco from europe with blank key set)

so dunnow.. for now i´m not buying anything :/

routermonkey

09 Mar 2011, 07:33

I've only have my MX brown keyboard for a couple days now, but that was what I picked for my first Cherry MX keyboard. So far, I'm really loving it, and it works great for gaming and serious typing. I think it strikes a really good balance.

rpgman1

10 Mar 2011, 06:50

Brown switches balance between gaming and typing anyway. If it's pure gaming, I go for Black or Red switches.

Yomi39

10 Mar 2011, 14:50

Brown switches are great for game or stuff (very comfortable :D), i have Zowie Celeritas keyboard.

xis

12 Mar 2011, 01:47

from what you were saying, browns are probably the best option. browns are the midground between gaming and typing, although i hear reds arent too bad either if you bottom out when you type.

nebiki

13 Mar 2011, 18:56

pita wrote:Brown is good for starter board, and then you work your way through with other switches when you feel like adventuring
that's what i've decided for myself, too. i'll go with browns. however, i can't find any 105 key boards with browns except the filcos. the thing with filco is - they're apparently not building their "old" plate anymore, so i guess it's better to wait until the rev2 boards reach the full-size market? i don't really want to miss out on a number keypad. i'm too used to using it when using a calculator of any sort.

xbb

13 Mar 2011, 19:16

I'd go for linear switches (MX Black) if you spend most of the time gaming.
I tend to press the wrong buttons accidentally with MX Brown :)

Zandara

13 Mar 2011, 23:21

Cherry MX black switch would be better choice for FPS gamers

Yomi39

15 Mar 2011, 09:17

nebiki wrote:that's what i've decided for myself, too. i'll go with browns. however, i can't find any 105 key boards with browns except the filcos. the thing with filco is - they're apparently not building their "old" plate anymore, so i guess it's better to wait until the rev2 boards reach the full-size market? i don't really want to miss out on a number keypad. i'm too used to using it when using a calculator of any sort.
the Zowie Celeritas is a 105 key boards with brown switches
Spoiler:

paperjellyfish

16 Mar 2011, 07:35

I'd go with the brown (:

Sugoi

16 Mar 2011, 18:05

sixty wrote:Personally I was very disappointed when I received my first brown board. The tactile bump was so minimal that I could barely feel it. I expected something much more notable.
Same here too. I had always thought that the browns are blues without the clicky noise. However, one gets used to it after a while and the tactile bumb gets more and more sensible in the course of time.

Return to “Keyboards”