Slom breaks stuff. Today: taking apart an IBM 5251

Mr.Nobody

12 May 2017, 16:02

Well like matto3 said, it's a hobby, the process is more important than the result.

Slom

20 Jun 2017, 21:10

Here is something I wanted to ask for quite some time now: Can somebody decipher this label for me and tell me when this board was built?

emdude
Model M Apologist

20 Jun 2017, 21:20

That is probably the shop date. keyboards-f2/ibm-shop-date-t13443.html

It looks like (at least) the mounting plate was manufactured in 1980.

Slom

20 Jun 2017, 21:34

Thanks emdude! Looks like it will go to the "older than me" cabinet when finished.

Ir0n

20 Jun 2017, 21:41

What are those condom looking things over the switches, Is that part of the mat thing? I've never noticed those..

Slom

20 Jun 2017, 21:44

Ir0n wrote: What are those condom looking things over the switches, Is that part of the mat thing? I've never noticed those..
That's the last remains of the contamination shield, a thin foil that covers the whole board and is supposed the prevent dust from entering the switches. I tends to disintegrate ;)

JP!

20 Jun 2017, 21:54

Nice job on this. I am surprised how most rust there was. Are there any suggested replacements for the contamination shield?

orihalcon

21 Jun 2017, 01:38

JP! wrote: Nice job on this. I am surprised how most rust there was. Are there any suggested replacements for the contamination shield?
The pretty much universal conclusion is that contamination shields make them feel much worse and aren't really worth the hassle. The most maintenance you'd be looking at without one is cleaning it out every few years with compressed air.

Return to “Keyboards”