SWITCHES

warpit

06 Jul 2018, 02:10

Would like an expert on switches answer this questions.

1. I am looking for the most quiet, silent switches. Options? Linear.
Plus with the shortes actuation point.

2. Any types of switches exist that are in size irregular • smaller,
so that mechanical keyboard becomes slimer & as a resultit would be possible to implement in laptop case?

3. Magnetic vs optical • in general & soundwise

Scarpia

06 Jul 2018, 11:27

1. I don't know, but to me at least, many linears are really really quiet.

2. Have a look at the Kailh low profile Cherry ML-inspired switches (see product-news-f44/kailh-cherry-ml-inspir ... 13734.html ). The red one is the lowest profile linear mechanical switch you'll find, and it is genuinely smooth. Of course they use a custom stem/mount so you'll have to use the keycaps that are made for them.

3. Again, I'm no expert but both have the same potential to be essentially frictionless (read: silent) since they don't rely on making electrical contact with moving parts. I'd say try them for yourself if you need to be sure.

andrewjoy

06 Jul 2018, 11:52

1. Quietest switches i know of are matias reds.
2. Cherry ML or Kailh low profile
3. Dont know sorry.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Jul 2018, 15:13

1. Cherry Silent or Matias Linear.
2. Cherry ML, Kailh LP, Alps SKFR/SKFS, Alps SKFL, Alps common-mount LP, numerous others.
3. Magnetic are probably the most reliable switching method you could use, but optical is quite reliable too if implemented correctly. It's pretty much impossible to compare these because there are hundreds of different kinds of each switch, magnetic switches include Micro Switch SD, reed switches, IZOT switches, and many more including modern versions. Optical switches have tons of different kinds too, and both magnetic and optical have linear, tactile, and clicky variants.

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

06 Jul 2018, 19:45

Is switch reliability really that important? My guess is that the MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) on the average optical or magnetic switch is magnitudes higher than on the rest of the keyboard itself. You are much more likely to have cable or a controller die long before the switches themselves.
Last edited by Wintermute1974 on 28 Jul 2018, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Jul 2018, 21:29

In this comparison? No, but if you are using these switches in a high-stress environment it could mean the difference between success and failure if you compare a standard Cherry switch with a reed switch for example. Like I said, there are so many different kinds of each switch that it's pretty pointless to compare anyways. Bloody (A4Tech) produces optical switches that should theoretically outlast the keyboard itself but I have no idea how well engineered they actually are.

xxhellfirexx

07 Jul 2018, 00:23

Return to “Keyboards”