What old switch would you love to bring back?

Keytronic Butterfly switches, before the foam deteriorates.
☃☃☃

Unread post01 Mar 2018, 13:17

X
☃☃☃

DT Pro Member: -

☃☃☃ wrote:Keytronic Butterfly switches, before the foam deteriorates.
That's when they're at their worst xD .
Chyros

Unread post01 Mar 2018, 13:50

X
Chyros

Main keyboard: whatever I'm reviewing next :p
Main mouse: a cheap Logitech
Favorite switch: Alps SKCM Blue

Honeywell's Hall-Effect switches... which is why I'm trying to make something that feels more like them than the Ace Pad Tech stuff :P
Barrel

Unread post01 Mar 2018, 14:37

X
Barrel

Favorite switch: Honeywell Hall Effect :^)

I would bring back space Hi-Tek 725s, their linear and clicks switches are my favorite. It would be nice to have a board in a somewhat normal layout. I haven’t tried new ones, I imagine they would be so smooth.
Brett MacK

Unread post01 Mar 2018, 14:41

X
Brett MacK

Main keyboard: SGI Granite
Main mouse: Logitech G403
Favorite switch: White Clicky Hi-Tek 725

Chyros wrote:I'd very much like to try out Marquardts. I own some loose switches, and they feel excellent.

Retouch the photos of them using Adobe, and write about them using Microsoft …
Daniel Beardsmore

Unread post01 Mar 2018, 20:59

X
Daniel Beardsmore

Main keyboard: Filco Majestouch 1 (home)/Poker II backlit (work)
Main mouse: MS IMO 1.1
Favorite switch: Probably not whatever I wrote here

FXT wrote:Definitely beamspring. Modern layout with beamsprings would be great. Or a reproduction 3279.

YES, indeed a decent, newly minted Beamspring in a traditional 104 or dare I dream, a 108 key layout.

Would indeed pump my blood around this old body to see a well built Beamspring Keyboard for sale to us all here on DT.

All my kids would hate me using it but hey, you only live ONCE ;) .
Elrick

Unread post02 Mar 2018, 09:41

X
Elrick

Main keyboard: WASD
Main mouse: G400
Favorite switch: Green MX, ALPs, Model-M

Hahaha I'd never be able to use one at work, they can barely stand my almost silent Green Alps! But I would gladly spend some good coin on a proper reproduction.
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Unread post02 Mar 2018, 11:43

X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

Main keyboard: Sharp X68000
Main mouse: Logitech G602
Favorite switch: Blue Alps SKCM
DT Pro Member: 0129

I proxy anything, including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: wiki/User:Blaise170
Alps SKCM Blue,Brown,Orange if those get produced again i know what my main board would be.
Sup

Unread post02 Mar 2018, 12:40

X
Sup

Main keyboard: HHKB Pro 1
Favorite switch: Topre/Kailh Box

I've watched far too many of Thomas' keyboard reviews on YouTube and now all I can think of is the beauty that is the IBM beamspring switch. The switches are really simple. They only have eight pieces to them. Please-oh-please Chinese factory owners, hear my plea: Make ripoff 1-to-1 identical switches to the original beamspring switches and sell them to wealthy westerners at a sweet profit. We'll figure the keyboard out later. First, we need the switches, lots of them, in bulk.
Wintermute1974

Unread post02 Mar 2018, 18:38

X
Wintermute1974

Main keyboard: GMMK
Main mouse: Kingston Expert Trackball
Favorite switch: IBM Beamspring

Wintermute1974 wrote:I've watched far too many of Thomas' keyboard reviews on YouTube and now all I can think of is the beauty that is the IBM beamspring switch. The switches are really simple. They only have eight pieces to them. Please-oh-please Chinese factory owners, hear my plea: Make ripoff 1-to-1 identical switches to the original beamspring switches and sell them to wealthy westerners at a sweet profit. We'll figure the keyboard out later. First, we need the switches, lots of them, in bulk.

I count only 6 separable pieces (7 if you include the key cap). Micro Switch SD has only 4 ... and still they tend to be scratchy binding suckers ... :D :D :D

I think you should not talk about switches in isolation like that: THE thing about micro switch for example are the key caps and they have influence on the switch design. Like you can not easily have those ultra thick caps and still have low profile switches. There can be only one thing at one place at a time, switch or key cap ...
Slom

Unread post02 Mar 2018, 19:33

X
Slom

Slom wrote:Like you can not easily have those ultra thick caps and still have low profile switches. There can be only one thing at one place at a time, switch or key cap ...

This is DT Central and who's talking about "low-profile switches" :o ?

This is BEAMSPRING, they can NEVER be low-profiled and who would want that to begin with? These are large and they should stay that way FOREVER.

All we want here is someone who can faithfully re-manufacture these unique babies and put them into a fully functional, present day keyboard design.

Maybe Ellipse should start developing a future Beamspring Keyboard because I would sure hand down my money again for another unique purchase from him.
Elrick

Unread post03 Mar 2018, 06:21

X
Elrick

Main keyboard: WASD
Main mouse: G400
Favorite switch: Green MX, ALPs, Model-M

Previous