Anyone have a 3d printer?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

27 Jul 2016, 02:16

For the last 40 minutes, I've been watching this:
First Print 41m.jpg
First Print 41m.jpg (362.01 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
It's my first print on a used MakerBot Replicator 2 that I just got. I've got a few things in mind but I was wondering if anyone here has a 3d printer and if there was any cool stuff you've printed and/or anything that you've made that you actually needed to print.

I'm at 58% of the first part of a mini Commodore PET computer, in case you are wondering what that is. I'm not printing clacks or anything like that.

Anyone have a 3d printer?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

27 Jul 2016, 06:58

I have an UltimakerII with the + Upgrade kit. Used it for another hobby and haven't gotten around to do much keyboard stuff yet. There's sooo many keyboard related things I have in mind but never motivated myself to actually design stuff.

When putting Soarer converter into vintage AT/XT keyboards, I'd love to have some 3d printed part that would help fix the Teensy/ProMicro in a way that I can use the controller USB port externally.

And I was thinking of printing tiny "shoes" for IBM Model F space bars in case their retainer hooks are broken off.

Have you tried tinkercad.org yet?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

27 Jul 2016, 14:05

Wodan wrote: Have you tried tinkercad.org yet?
http://tinkercad.com? No, I didn't even know about that. I am looking at SketchUp at the moment. However, at this point, I'm going to print out a few existing designs and then move to tweaking them, then creating my own. That won't be for a little bit though.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

27 Jul 2016, 14:36

It's a really great tool and such a accessible entry to 3D design. There's a couple of youtube tutorials available ... you will be amazed how fast you're going to be making stuff in 3D.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

27 Jul 2016, 20:46

My final first print on the MakerBot Replicator 2. It's made up of 6 parts and is a Commodore PET (the first computer I ever used in school).
Final First Print.JPG
Final First Print.JPG (223.37 KiB) Viewed 1203 times

snuci
Vintage computer guy

28 Jul 2016, 00:03

Here. Maybe this will be a little more interesting around here :) This is courtesy of kekstee's 3d design and associated thread here: workshop-f7/3d-printed-cherry-mx-keycap-t4620.html
3d Cherry MX skull key cap
3d Cherry MX skull key cap
3d Cherry MX skull key cap.jpg (249.4 KiB) Viewed 1182 times

Return to “Off-topic”