Bought an Intellimouse Classic today at Best Buy

apastuszak

26 May 2018, 20:35

I had a bunch of eBay purchases come in over the last few days, and one was a classic Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, which I immediately fell in love with. I know the Microsoft re-released the mouse as the Intellimouse Classic and that the new mouse uses Microsoft's BlueTrack sensor, which is unsuitable for gaming. But since I am not a gamer, and I wanted something with a higher DPI, since I use two monitors, I thought I would give it a try.

I welcomed the higher DPI, as it allowed to float between both screens with less travel on the mouse pad. But that's about all I welcomed. The scroll wheel is far stiffer than it was on the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. The side buttons don't click as nicely, and don't feel as good in the hand. And the feel of the mouse when your hand rests on it feels every so slightly different that the 3.0 I got in the mail on Friday, and not in a good way.

I'm debating returning, but I wonder if the issues with the button clicks comes down to new switches vs older broken in/worn switches. I have 2 weeks to return it to Best Buy. We'll see how I feel about it after 2 weeks.

I wish Microsoft had just re-released the original mouse exactly as it was, without making these minor tweaks to it.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”