Closest wheel acceleration to IntelliPoint for non-MS mice?

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Mar 2018, 00:04

For years, I've been using Microsoft mice, and at home I also used IntelliPoint for its wheel scrolling acceleration.

Years ago, due to a bug in IntelliPoint, I tried to find a replacement wheel scrolling accelerator for Windows. Everything I found worked by duplicating wheel events, and to make this work, you have to reduce the lines-per-notch count from the default of 3, down to 1.

Unfortunately I have some old programs that have 3 lines per notch hard-coded, so these are of no use to me.

IntelliPoint does something special that makes it work reliably with everything, and what I'm looking for is a program that replicates what IntelliPoint does, but that works with my new Cherry mouse. IntelliPoint helpfully does not recognise non-Microsoft mice, which it should as recompense for the years of pain dealing with those shoddy products.

I just found a program that does something similar, written in AutoHotkey, but the algorithm is terrible, and it's buggy (it started scrolling backwards at one point, and the acceleration sticks for too long). IntelliPoint's wheel acceleration just worked perfectly, and I assume it even worked in elevated processes.

Topre Enthusiast

17 Mar 2018, 00:18

I suppose that you've already come across this one?: http://www.desksoft.com/ScrollNavigator.htm
It's not free but does it meet all your requirements? Looks pretty customisable.

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Mar 2018, 01:03

That's the one that I was trying out in the past, that just used extra wheel notch events. I don't know what IntelliPoint did, but it didn't use wheel notches, and never conflicted with programs that hard-code that.

Findecanor

17 Mar 2018, 02:47

Microsoft once made a high-resolution scrolling extension to USB HID which most modern mice support. I suppose that it uses that and allows the translation from high-resolution events to low-resolution events to be configurable.
I don't know much about MS Windows' internals otherwise.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”