Does Your Ideal Mouse Exist?

chuckdee

25 May 2017, 22:01

THATGUY69 wrote: Oh yeah. The Logitech G900 wireless mouse. I picked it up black friday for $75. I could not be happier with it :D
Same for me. I was skeptical when I first got it (for a similar price to you), but now I'm in love with it. I'm using my G502 and G9x on other machines, both of which were at one point my favorite, and it's so much above them that I'm actually on the lookout so I can get another.

davkol

25 May 2017, 22:03

I waited for a sale and got mine for €27 + shipping; it's normally €40-50 around here. Kova[+] was in the same price range.

More importantly, it makes little sense to seek a >6-year-old product that isn't unique in any positive way.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 May 2017, 22:07

davkol wrote: More importantly, it makes little sense to seek a >6-year-old product that isn't unique in any positive way.
I'm not "seeking" it, I'm using it. Unique in any positive way? Sounds like a marketing sentence. You must really hate the 2011 Kova for some reason.

I'll test the 2016 Kova soon I'm really curious to see what it's like.
davkol wrote: I waited for a sale and got mine for €27 + shipping; it's normally €40-50 around here. Kova[+] was in the same price range.
So Roccat must then be selling much better products for the same price...that would be "Unique in a positive way" for sure.

seebart

25 May 2017, 22:17

davkol wrote: More importantly, it makes little sense to seek a >6-year-old product that isn't unique in any positive way.
I'm not "seeking" it, I'm using it.
Unique in any positive way?
Sounds like a marketing sentence. You must really hate the 2011 Kova for some reason.

I'll test the 2016 Kova soon I'm really curious to see what it's like.
davkol wrote: I waited for a sale and got mine for €27 + shipping; it's normally €40-50 around here. Kova[+] was in the same price range.
So Roccat must then be selling much better products for the same price...that would be quite "Unique in a positive way" for sure. Also you will know that they sell these mice for months and years to saying it's 6 years old is relative to it's market introduction.

davkol

25 May 2017, 22:28

I really wanted to use it a few years back, but couldn't. The main reason was the wheel (I click it very often and too stiff wheels on Logitech already caused me RSI), the sensor didn't help (I was actually somewhat unhappy until PWM3310 became a standard and made jitter at 2000 cpi a thing of the past) and I didn't trust it either after getting a faulty Pyra (wireless) and Kone[+], that ultimately weren't even worth fixing (there was a nasty wire salad for backlight and side buttons, among other issues).

Thus, I stuck with right-handed mice (mostly Savu and later KPM) and Lua (at the cost of features).

seebart

25 May 2017, 22:32

davkol wrote: I really wanted to use it a few years back, but couldn't. The main reason was the wheel (I click it very often and too stiff wheels on Logitech already caused me RSI), but the sensor didn't help and I didn't trust it either after getting a faulty Pyra (wireless) and Kone[+], that ultimately weren't even worth fixing (there was a nasty wire salad for backlight and side buttons, among other issues).

Thus, I stuck with right-handed mice (mostly Savu and later KPM) and Lua (at the cost of features).
I understand. The wheel is indeed stiff to click. I wonder how long mine will hold up before breaking...

Daniel Beardsmore

26 May 2017, 00:02

davkol wrote: (Kiro is) It's ridiculously heavy for its size. Perhaps the platform for replaceable sides is to blame, I'm not sure. Regardless, the mouse is big enough only for children, Drumpf and some claw-grippers. Lua is fine at 68 g, but Kiro's 103 g is waaay too much.

For me, the worst part is the limited firmware, though..
My point of reference is the craptastic IntelliMouse Optical. That's 145 g, or 0.29 g/cm³ (assuming an spherical cow oblong), and the Kiro is 0.42 g/cm³ (also assuming an oblong). The Kiro seems is denser, while still being a lot lighter than what I'm accustomed to, and it's oddly narrow.

I don't need firmware, and I don't need drivers. I don't need blinkenlights or rubber coating or a gear lever. We're well into the 21st century, and past the end of Doug Engelbart's long lifetime, and we still can't seem to make the basic bits of a wheel mouse work: buttons that click and a wheel that turns and can be clicked. Dell mice for years have been excellent, but it's getting the ambidextrous five buttons that leaves gamer rubbish as the only option. The IMO replacement (MS Comfort Mouse 4500) is dire.

davkol

26 May 2017, 01:28

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
davkol wrote: (Kiro is) It's ridiculously heavy for its size. Perhaps the platform for replaceable sides is to blame, I'm not sure. Regardless, the mouse is big enough only for children, Drumpf and some claw-grippers. Lua is fine at 68 g, but Kiro's 103 g is waaay too much.
My point of reference is the craptastic IntelliMouse Optical. That's 145 g, or 0.29 g/cm³ (assuming an spherical cow oblong), and the Kiro is 0.42 g/cm³ (also assuming an oblong). The Kiro seems is denser, while still being a lot lighter than what I'm accustomed to, and it's oddly narrow.
The mice are expected to be held differently or in differently sized hands.
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I don't need firmware, and I don't need drivers.
I thought you wanted an input device, not a paperweight.

Daniel Beardsmore

26 May 2017, 09:21

A thing that moves the cursor and sends clicks is quite sufficient. I'd like a 6th button, but Windows only supports five buttons, and I don't care to use third-party drivers to activate an additional button.

seebart

26 May 2017, 09:38

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: A thing that moves the cursor and sends clicks is quite sufficient. I'd like a 6th button, but Windows only supports five buttons, and I don't care to use third-party drivers to activate an additional button.
You have a broad choice then. ;)

Daniel Beardsmore

26 May 2017, 09:48

If only.

seebart

26 May 2017, 10:08

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: If only.
Limit your options then:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: A thing that moves the cursor and sends clicks is quite sufficient.
:lol:

MrDuul

26 May 2017, 21:43

Best mouse ever made...The Logitech G9x. I have 10 in my closet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjehusHll1Y

nevin

27 May 2017, 02:36

Used a Razer Krait for years & years till the switches started to fail.

Currently using CM Storm Recon. It's a little taller than i usually get, but i really like it. Optical, programmable, enough easily reachable buttons.

I Really liked the adjustability & programability of the RAT7 but the laser sensor was garbage.
I heard they were planning on reworking another version of the RAT with an optical sensor but haven't looked into it since i gave up on the RAT 7.

seebart

27 May 2017, 09:41

MrDuul wrote: Best mouse ever made...The Logitech G9x. I have 10 in my closet.

But isn't there some $5K version that you don't have?
Spoiler:
muchomouse.jpg
muchomouse.jpg (27.07 KiB) Viewed 14462 times

MrDuul

27 May 2017, 09:54

seebart wrote:
MrDuul wrote: Best mouse ever made...The Logitech G9x. I have 10 in my closet.

But isn't there some $5K version that you don't have?
Spoiler:
muchomouse.jpg
:shock:

cookie

08 Jun 2017, 17:59

I'd love to have an IE3 with the build quality of an MX518, preferably with a PBT shell! That would be super nice, sadly this is never going to happen :(

Meanwhile I am stuck with an old G9 at work and a G402 at home... I don't like any of them but they get the job done so far. I still wan't to try out the MX Master in Stone Gray but haven't bought it yet.

Hypersphere

25 Jun 2017, 22:28

Decided to give Roccat one more try. I had heard good things about the new Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye, so I gave it a test run.

My first impression was, "Wow, this mouse is really small!" Of course, I had read the specs, and I knew that this mouse was below my preferred size range, but I was not prepared for just how far below it was. Definitely not for my favored palm grip.

The Owl-Eye sensor is perhaps the main attraction of this mouse, but I could be satisfied with lesser sensors. The switches were fine. Scroll wheel was above average but not as good as I had expected.

The deal-breakers were the same as before with the Kone XTD: the highly conspicuous asymmetrical logo and the illuminated stripes. These things run counter to my aesthetic preferences. In addition, the plastic used in the stripes has a sticky feel that spoils the feel of the mouse for me.

If Roccat were to come out with a version of the Kone XTD or EMP without a logo on the top or back of the mouse and without the illuminated stipes, I would definitely consider buying it.

For now, the mouse that has stayed on my desk is the Logitech G403.

DerpyDash_xAD

01 Jul 2017, 00:19

Man, the intellimouse optical is bae. that said - i have a few issues with it. namely, teh sensor caps out at 3m/s when i can move my hand at 4m/s or something along those lines. I don't have precise mesures by any means. but yeah. and the plastics were a little thinner and flimsier than i would like. that said, well built bit of tech. and finally, the scroll wheel is a bit gluey after a few years. or more like 20 years. but yeah, the rubber goes a bit gross in my experience. scroll is also a little to light. only reason i don't use it all the time is becaues the max speed is a dealbreaker. i was planning to mod a zowie into a imo shell but i never got around to it.

Elrick

25 Jul 2017, 09:52

Just to add my note here, have been using on and off for the past six months, the Ducky Secret Mouse (stupid name).

The BIG thing I love about it, is it's familiar old Microsoft mouse shape style from the mid 90's. Plus it's excellent all PBT build (only this model has it) which is perfect, comparing to other ABS models made by the bigger crews at Razer Corp., Logitech and Zowie.

I have always gone back to this model after using other mice bought by haste over the net. The Ducky Secret to me, is the END game of mice. Perfectly balanced, decent sensor (3310) plus it's inbuilt switches to help turn on or off the various mouse features (only mouse that has it).

Thus far the Ducky Secret is my final purchase in mice or unless Ducky releases another model with a 3366 sensor or maybe with an all white/cream edition.

Hypersphere

28 Jul 2017, 17:07

@Elrick: Thanks for your comments about the Ducky Secret Mouse (I agree it is a stupid name). In case you haven't seen my review from January 2016, here is the link:

other-devices-f3/ducky-secret-mouse-pbt ... et%20mouse

I also liked it, but it had some features that turned out to be deal-breakers for me. Still, I admire their innovation of making the outer shell out of PBT.

Currently, my keeper mice are: Logitech G403, Steelseries Rival 300, and Razer Deathadder Elite.

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 17:12

Hypersphere wrote: @Elrick: Thanks for your comments about the Ducky Secret Mouse (I agree it is a stupid name). In case you haven't seen my review from January 2016, here is the link:
Ah, I hadn't seen that either thanks for the link!

Khers

28 Jul 2017, 17:29

I recently replaced my G602 with a G900. Not sure any of them is perfect, but both are good enough. The lower weight of the latter is greatly appreciated. Also, the charging cord is amazing; If anyone know where I can get something similarly flexible, but mini-USB...

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 17:31

I still want to try the logitech MX MASTER some time.

Khers

28 Jul 2017, 17:39

seebart wrote: I still want to try the logitech MX MASTER some time.
My wife has one, I'm not sold on it. To my hands it's both too large and too short, prefer the shape of the G602 for a full-hand mouse. Being ambidextrous, however, I find the shape of the G900 very likeable since I can use it with my left hand when it suits my needs.

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 17:42

Khers wrote:
seebart wrote: I still want to try the logitech MX MASTER some time.
My wife has one, I'm not sold on it. To my hands it's both too large and too short, prefer the shape of the G602 for a full-hand mouse. Being ambidextrous, however, I find the shape of the G900 very likeable since I can use it with my left hand when it suits my needs.
OK. I does have a somewhat unusual shape. I'm not so sure myself...

CeeSA

26 Aug 2017, 23:42

Khers wrote: I recently replaced my G602 with a G900. Not sure any of them is perfect, but both are good enough. The lower weight of the latter is greatly appreciated. Also, the charging cord is amazing; If anyone know where I can get something similarly flexible, but mini-USB...
https://www.facebook.com/Mousecable/

also available MINI and MICRO USB

Khers

27 Aug 2017, 03:05

CeeSA wrote:
Khers wrote: I recently replaced my G602 with a G900. Not sure any of them is perfect, but both are good enough. The lower weight of the latter is greatly appreciated. Also, the charging cord is amazing; If anyone know where I can get something similarly flexible, but mini-USB...
https://www.facebook.com/Mousecable/

also available MINI and MICRO USB
That looks neat! Do I send an email to order one?

zzuper

27 Aug 2017, 11:58

I could have sworn on the g403, but the wrist says no! -___-
Going back to the g303..
The problem is that the Height of the g403 angles the wrist upwards, and the top is in the middle of the mouse.
The problem with the g303 is really only the Length, low profile with the top at the back of the mouse is the way to go. My favorite shape alltime is the diamondback, but razer.. </3

CeeSA

27 Aug 2017, 23:31

Return to “Mice & other input devices”