Ducky Secret Mouse (PBT) -- Impressions & Comparison w/ Deathadder BE

Hypersphere

18 Jan 2016, 01:04

My all-time favorite mouse for the past few years has been the Razer Deathadder Black Edition (DA BE). I am not a gamer; I use a mouse for general computing and for computational molecular modeling.
DA_BE_2.jpg
DA_BE_2.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 11436 times
I like the DA BE mouse for several reasons:

+ Extremely comfortable with my palm grip.
+ Smooth yet non-slippery surface that maintains a fairly dry (and warm) feel even with prolonged use.
+ No knobbly rubber side grips.
+ No LEDs.
+ Simple, with only 5 buttons.
+ Easy to click switches, including the scroll wheel.
+ Stepped (notched) scroll wheel that is smooth and quiet.
+ Optical sensor with up to 3500 dpi.

Just about the only thing I do not like about the DA BE is the Synapse software. I have not found it necessary to install the software, but from time to time it nags to be installed.

The DA BE is still going strong, but the contact points on the shell have become somewhat rough and discolored, and if the mouse should fail, this particular model is no longer in production. Although it can still be found on Amazon in dwindling quantities from some Asian vendors, the prices are quite high. Razer's newest models of the Deathadder line have added LEDs and textured rubber side grips -- features i do not want. Therefore, I have started looking at potential replacements. The new Ducky "Secret Mouse" caught my eye, in particular because it appears to be the first mouse with an outer shell made of PBT plastic, which would be expected to give the mouse a dry feel without resorting to some sort of rubberized coating.

I purchased the Ducky Secret Mouse from Mechanicalkeyboards.com (MK) for $68.00 shipped (to continental USA). It is currently bundled with a 800 x 250 x 3 mm Ducky Flipper Mouse Pad. I like oversized mouse mats like this one, but I do not need one at the moment, and I would have preferred to have the option to buy the mouse without the bundled mouse pad.

Some things I like about the Ducky Secret Mouse:

+ Comfortable with a palm grip (but not quite as comfortable as the DA BE).
+ PBT shell -- feels dry (although cold) with just a bit of texture; no need for a rubberized coating.
+ Omron switches that are fairly easy to press and with an audible click.
+ ALPS encoder scroll wheel with notches that is smooth to operate.
+ Simple, with only 5 buttons.
+ No knobbly rubber side grips.
+ All settings (e.g., DPI and LEDs) are carried out with a bottom switch in conjunction with top switches.
+ Opens with non-hidden screws.
+ Extras: screws, teflon feet, and 11g weight.
+ Optical sensor (Pixart PMW3310DH) with up to 5000 dpi.

Features I could do without but that seem to be sought after by at least some gamers include tunable LEDs, adjustable weights, surface material adjustment, selectable USB polling rate, and switchable angle snapping.

The switch clicks are a bit louder than those from the DA BE. The scroll wheel is smooth and easy to click, and scrolling by pulling the wheel toward the user is quiet, but scrolling in the opposite direction by pushing the wheel away from the user often results in a chattering sound.

I also found that it was difficult to press the front side switch without activating the left click switch. In addition, although I like the smooth dry feel of the PBT body, I found that when I picked up the mouse, my thumb would slip upward. The side switches stop the thumb, but gamers who are lifting the mouse during play would probably want a rubberized grip in the thumb area.

Generally, I liked the Ducky Secret Mouse. However, there were two things I did not like that I hope the company will correct with future versions:

- Prominent Ducky branding on the rear of the mouse. The brand is not illuminated; it is apparently printed, but I do not know the printing method.
Ducky_Mouse_L1F.jpg
Ducky_Mouse_L1F.jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 11436 times
- The LED window on the right side of the mouse is a strip of non-PBT translucent plastic that feels clammy to the touch.
Ducky_Mouse_R1F.jpg
Ducky_Mouse_R1F.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 11436 times
My ring finger rests on the translucent strip of non-PBT plastic, and when I first used the mouse, I thought that there was something sticky like label adhesive on the mouse. It was hard to believe that Ducky would have gone to the trouble and expense of making the mouse out of PBT and then adding a strip of non-PBT plastic where it could come into contact with the hand.

Overall, the Ducky Secret Mouse was a good first effort from a company perhaps best known for its mechanical keyboards and keycap sets. I especially admire Ducky for choosing to produce a PBT mouse. If they were to correct some of the issues noted above, they could have a real winner. As it stands, it appears that the Ducky Secret Mouse will not be the one to replace my Deathadder Black Edition (if it ever wears out). Other mice that I am considering include the Mionix Naos 7000, Mionix Castor, and Zowie EC1-A 2016 version. I am also considering the current versions of the Razer Deathadder, despite the fact that they have chosen to put textured rubber side grips on these models. If these potential replacements do not appeal, I will probably pay the premium for one of the few remaining Razer Deathadder Black Edition mice still on the market.

TuxKey
LLAP

01 May 2016, 22:37

thx for the great review..i'm looking for a new mouse to replace my Logitech M500.
i'm not a gamer but i want a mouse with CPI/DPI settings and a nice censor..
Yesterday i was at a dutch keyboard meetup and someone mentioned this mouse :shock:
it was a secret to me ..a PBT mouse ;-) and from ducky hahah..
After googling it my first impression was why the heck is the ducky branding so prominent ?

i was looking at the "Tek Syndicate" Gaming mouse the price is awesome for what you get..$35 but adding the $22,50 shipping is just to much..
Still the total price seems to be ok.$57,50
but looking at the Coolermaster Alcor i think that's a better option for now..but i don't know if a laser option would be better for us non gamers? Perhaps the Mizar

i do like that the Ducky needs no software that's awesome..still i think il go for the Alcor unless you have a better suggestion..

thx for the review..

gogusrl

02 May 2016, 09:47

Check out the Mionix Avior 7000 (or the ambidextrous version, can't remember the name). Do NOT buy the 8200 dpi versions, the 7000 has a much better sensor.

or if you can still find one, get the best mouse ever made, the Logitech G9x :)

davkol

02 May 2016, 11:56

Avior is ambidextrous, Naos and Castor aren't.

TuxKey
LLAP

03 May 2016, 18:14

thx guyes

So i checked out a couple of options living in the Netherlands.

Mionix Avior 7000 €67 (slow delivery relative good store)
Mionix Castor €70 (quick delivery good store review)
Mionix Naos 7000 €74 (slow delivery not so good store reviews)
Tek Syndicate gaming mouse (Pixart PWM 3310) €50 (slow delivery good store)
Ducky Secret €65 (fast delivery good store review)

A Different mouse i was considering CM Storm Alcor.. except the sensor isn’t a 3310 but the Avago ADNS 3090.
The price is €35 and the weight is very light witch is something i rather like..
But the mean reason why i'm looking around is to replace my Logitech M500 with something lighter and with a better sensor that has a dpi switch so i don't need to move around so much :roll:

Looking around at all the mice using this spec guide
And comparing prices it seems that the 3310 is always around €70 with the exception of the Tek Syndicate mouse.
But that's a heavy mouse even more than the Ducky Secret..pff

my head is spinning from al these mice hahaha... :roll:
i wonder is the cheapest mouse in my list an improvement over my current Logitech M500 ? i know it has a dpi switch so that would help..
LOD (LiftOfDistance) of the M500 is also awful.

Or should i just fork out the extra $$ and get a 3310 sensor?

davkol

03 May 2016, 20:39

Naos is a palm grip mouse, that isn't meant to be lifted. Castor is probably the closest to the M500 in terms of shape/size. Something else, like the alcor, is going to be more suitable rather for claw/hybrid grip; you mention your preference… nowhere.

Sensors are overrated, unless you're a member of a vocal minority.¹ It's mostly implementation (and pairing with other electronics), that matters. You can get mice with A3090, that jitter like crazy at 2000 cpi, and mice with the very same sensor, but different firmware, that are okay. The M500 features some insane postprocessing, that makes its tracking really weird. Anything else is going to be very different.

Furthermore, the surface has impact of its own too. Personally, I even prefer lower sensitivity (comparable to M500 with its 1000cpi sensor, if everything else remains the same) on hard mousepads.

¹ I have yet to see members of that minority perform a well administered blind test, controlled for simple issues of familiarity, that would demonstrate significant differences between decent sensors in actual use cases.

TuxKey
LLAP

03 May 2016, 20:55

davkol wrote: Naos is a palm grip mouse, that isn't meant to be lifted. Castor is probably the closest to the M500 in terms of shape/size. Something else, like the alcor, is going to be more suitable rather for claw/hybrid grip; you mention your preference… nowhere.
Thx for your help very interesting and helpful read :)

i rotate between claw and palm. when i'm typing and need to switch do a different pain i use claw..
Reading longer articles and scrolling i like to rest my hand in palm grip..

i have a desk mat i believe iets a "Corepad Deskpad XXXL" but i have to put a "ducky omg mousepad" i got as a gift so that i can track and get less resistance with my M500.

The one thing that bothers me is that i need to lift my mouse every time it bumps against my keyboard.
And i'm using a Leopold FC660C so not exactly a model M :lol:

btw i have lager hands 20cm x 11cm thats from middle finger to my wrist and from my thumb to the side of my hand palm.
(excuse my eng)

TuxKey
LLAP

04 May 2016, 16:31

just ordered this mouse for €65 ...i just had to find out how a PBT mouse would feel.. Carpe Momento..Life is short.
Will be delivered in two days ;-)

Hypersphere

08 May 2016, 18:59

TuxKey wrote: just ordered this mouse for €65 ...i just had to find out how a PBT mouse would feel.. Carpe Momento..Life is short.
Will be delivered in two days ;-)
Let us know how you like it.

Since posting my review of the Ducky Secret Mouse, I have tested quite a few more mice. I prefer a large mouse with a large high rear end, a no-sweat grip, and a quiet notched scroll wheel. The Kensington Pro Fit Full-Size mouse has an ideal shape for me, but its glossy finish gets sticky after even brief use. Same with the Cougar 550M. One that almost worked for me is the Thermaltake Ventus X -- the back is cut out in a honeycomb pattern to provide air circulation. Unfortunately, the Ventus X tends to make creaking noises.

My favorite thus far is the Steelseries Rival 300 -- I would like it to be even larger than it is, but it is solid and quiet, and its rubberized surface maintains a dry feel in use. One thing I don't particularly like about the Rival 300 is the illuminated logo -- the illumination can be altered or disabled, but the translucent plastic for the logo is still visible with the LED turned off.

TuxKey
LLAP

11 May 2016, 17:08

let’s start with the short list my dislikes.

it’s heavy the weight is 122grams without any weights in it, or screws that hold the weights in.
Compared to to my first runner up the "TekSyndicate Mouse" the weight is equal to that..i suppose that's the weight of quality ??
get’s a warm when you have the lights on.
right side light strip doesn’t feel like pbt and my pinky rests on that part so i miss the PBT feeling could have done without it.
mouse wheel is a bit loud but it doesn't bother me it's not like a mx-blue or something like that hahah..
Ducky branding it’s a nice black mouse why would i need more branding on it? currently i have a piece of black electrical tape on it hahaha don’t care as long as i don’t see the branding..
company gives you a promo XL ducky mouse pad except if you live in the EU like me. i emailed them and don’t expect any thing from them..The only thing i got from them is a promo to watch out for their new keyboards coming out soon pfff ARE YOU FOR REAL grrr… guess i’m a bit disappointed as a ducky fan i assumed we Europeans also deserve goodies..

Ok the good

full PBT body (with exception of the tiny tiny led accents
Omron switches for every button except the dpi switch Even the back and forward button feels crisp
scroll wheel coming from Logitech M500 and the Logitech Anywhere i really really love the feel of this mouse wheel including the click.
i prefer separated mouse buttons this mouse has rather than one body.
one of / if not the best optical sensors out there.
doesn't rattle solid / clean internal / external build.
Ducky doesn’t mind you opening the mouse. Unlike other brands that stick the mouse feet on top of the screws Ducky doesn’t do that !! that’s a major plus. it’s like they trust us to open up the mouse (after emailing with them i know that any relation we might think we have is purely based on us consuming..nothing more)
Attention for detail near the mouse feet there is a small indent where you can lift of the feet ! i have never seen this on other mice.
No need for software clear and well defined way to tweak all the settings from polling rate true lighting modes/color. i always hate software installation because of a couple of things i don’t use one computer or OS type so 9 out of 10 times software runs only on windows..And i’m not always sure that the software is maintained on all platforms.
i have read that PBT is brittle but i don’t feel like this mouse i going to fail anytime soon it’s build like a thank. That’s perhaps the reason behinds its weight?
nice cable thick enough USB cable i prefer non braided even despite of me using a mouse bungee (cheapest i could get works fine).
you get an extra set of mouse feet/glides and a couple of extra screws. nice touch really like it when i get an extra set of mouse feet..good service on that part.
the shape works great for my hand (rather large hands, 20cm) all grips work for me finger+claw and complete hand on the mouse.

Final conclusion.
choosing a mouse was kind of hard for me ..keyboards are my thing but mice where new to me..meaning i never looked in to them as i'm not a real gamer..
But the Mouse Guide 2.0 really helped.
i pretty quickly decided i wanted a 3310 sensor and no laser and i wanted quality Omron switches. That left a couple of candidates of which i only liked the "tek syndicate" mouse considering the weight of that mouse and the cost of getting it to me here in the EU. this mouse was the best choice..Also don't forget PBT man hahaha.

i would consider a lighter 3310 with Omron switches mouse as a second mouse if and when i would need one..
But there is no such mouse i could find that i really liked.. i consider light somewhere in the 80 true 90grams max.
Like the Alcor from CoolerMaster..

If CM would make the same mouse with a 3310 censor and nice Omron switches for all buttons..i'l get one..

So am i going to keep it? Despite being so heavy i think having the First PBT mouse for productivity is just awesome. Doing the negatives vs the positives ..i think it's a keeper..

sorry for me rambling on hope it can help anyone that's considering this mouse..
Take care.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Jan 2018, 18:01

I'll necro Hypersphere's thread without his permission but I don't think he would mind. TuxKey thanks also for your feedback;
IMG_20180110_162446.jpg
IMG_20180110_162446.jpg (871.82 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
I got the Ducky Secret after reading this thread but also due to other references, it been my main mouse for the last four weeks on a daily basis.
IMG_20180110_164457.jpg
IMG_20180110_164457.jpg (788.09 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
I like the very comfortable shape and body size, the Omron Micro Switches feel and sound great (not sure why Omron can't build better keyswitches). It must be said that these Omron Micro Switches are pretty loud for a modern mouse and the click is pretty pronounced, I could see people disliking that. I like that a lot but that's preference.
IMG_20180110_164443.jpg
IMG_20180110_164443.jpg (786.93 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
IMG_20180110_164659.jpg
IMG_20180110_164659.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 8977 times
The scroll wheel with the Alps encoder feels grippy and gives great feedback, my favorite scroll wheel so far. The long cable is rubberized rather than braided, not sure if that's a plus.

The sensitivity of the optical sensor, the USB report rate, the surface material option and switching angle snapping are adjustable via a small button on the bottom in combination with other buttons and a five-point LED feeback.
I dislike the customary RBG lighting, I don't mind the PBT body feel although I could see people finding it slippery, I'm only a casual gamer at best.
IMG_20180110_164754.jpg
IMG_20180110_164754.jpg (850.57 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
There are two small weights that come with this mouse that are inserted in the body, 6g and 11g, I prefer the 6g option vs. 11g or none at which the mouse is 120g.
IMG_20180110_164706.jpg
IMG_20180110_164706.jpg (965.53 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
Ducky advertises this mouse as being powered by a NXP 32-bit ARM Microprocessor.
https://www.nxp.com/products/processors ... -LOW-POWER

I like the fact that Ducky includes a short manual with the mouse.

All in all the for me the positive aspects outweigh the negative and this may be a candidate to retire my beloved Steelseries Sensei and my Razer Deathadder.

It's not exactly cheap but well worth the money in my opinion.

http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/page-en/ducky-secret/

I found some good pictures of the assembly here:

https://imgur.com/a/jnS3r

the_marsbar

26 Mar 2018, 11:05

Recently I was looking for a new mouse for my non-Mac systems (otherwise I prefer the Magic Trackpad 2), because the scroll wheel on my old Logitech MX310 stopped working correctly. Initially I was looking for a very simple (wired) mouse, without any lighting features, and without too much graphics, or one that looks like a space ship. I didn't really find anything that I thought I'd like to spend too much money on. Last week there was a local sale on the Logitech G403, and I decided to get it without trying it first, because of the low price (27 EUR/24 GBP/33 USD). So far I really like it (the light can be turned off). Otherwise, the mice you mention here were also on my list to check out, but I could not find them at reasonable prices here.

Have you tried any of the Logitech G series mice? I'm curious about what you think of them, if you have.

Iggy

26 Mar 2018, 14:58

the_marsbar wrote: Have you tried any of the Logitech G series mice? I'm curious about what you think of them, if you have.
I got a few of those and so here's my $0,02. I have a G900, G602, G502 and a MX master. The G900 (Chaos Spectrum) is great for it is both wireless and wired (I prefer wired), but not very ergonomical (it is meant to be suitable for both left and right hand). I got it for free with my MSI laptop and I keep it as a spare one. The G502 would have been a great favourite if it weren't for a most annoying double click issue with the left mouse button (it does have adjustable weight and a fine scroll wheel, though). It is currently admiring a closet from the inside. The G602 feels good in my big grubby hands but not great and has an overkill of buttons on the side. I hardly play games these days so the buttons are mostly useless. The MX Master is my favourite, it fits wonderful in my hand (even my left hand) and it has fewer buttons and even a vertical scroll wheel. There's a button in the thumb rest that you can use to switch programs. Both the MX Master and the G602 are on the heavy side (which I much prefer). Unfortunately both are wireless only. You can connect the MX Master with an USB cable but that is for charging only.

samuelcable

27 Mar 2018, 10:44

I've been using a ducky secret for about 4 months and its perfect for my hand size, i like the surface tuning options it has too. it has already started shining despite being pbt, but i guess thats since your hand is on the mouse for longer than touching keys. i agree with you on the branding, that was actually my least favorite part of the mouse. i really wish they offered a non led version too because i never ever have the lights on

Khers

27 Mar 2018, 11:44

Iggy wrote:
the_marsbar wrote: Have you tried any of the Logitech G series mice? I'm curious about what you think of them, if you have.
I got a few of those and so here's my $0,02. I have a G900, G602, G502 and a MX master. The G900 (Chaos Spectrum) is great for it is both wireless and wired (I prefer wired), but not very ergonomical (it is meant to be suitable for both left and right hand). I got it for free with my MSI laptop and I keep it as a spare one. The G502 would have been a great favourite if it weren't for a most annoying double click issue with the left mouse button (it does have adjustable weight and a fine scroll wheel, though). It is currently admiring a closet from the inside. The G602 feels good in my big grubby hands but not great and has an overkill of buttons on the side. I hardly play games these days so the buttons are mostly useless. The MX Master is my favourite, it fits wonderful in my hand (even my left hand) and it has fewer buttons and even a vertical scroll wheel. There's a button in the thumb rest that you can use to switch programs. Both the MX Master and the G602 are on the heavy side (which I much prefer). Unfortunately both are wireless only. You can connect the MX Master with an USB cable but that is for charging only.
This proves that mice preferences are very personal. I have the same mice you've got, with the exception of the G502, and my preference is the exact opposite. I really like my G900, find the G602 quite nice as a full hand option but can't really get comfortable with the MX Master.

Hypersphere

13 Apr 2018, 17:18

seebart wrote: I'll necro Hypersphere's thread without his permission but I don't think he would mind. TuxKey thanks also for your feedback;
<snip>
Certainly! I do not mind at all and welcome new comments on this thread. In general, I have never understood why necroposting is frowned upon in some circles. In any event, thanks for your detailed comments on the latest version of the Ducky Secret Mouse.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

13 Apr 2018, 17:52

I have a G602 and G502, I prefer the G602 slightly. Never tried an MX Master though I've been wanting to.

seebart

14 Apr 2018, 19:30

Hypersphere wrote: Certainly! I do not mind at all and welcome new comments on this thread. In general, I have never understood why necroposting is frowned upon in some circles. In any event, thanks for your detailed comments on the latest version of the Ducky Secret Mouse.
Great thanks Hyper, good to see you around here. I have not been around for months myself. I have been using the Ducky Secret Mouse as my main mouse for the last months and can really recomend it. Probably the best mouse I ever owned next to the Deathadder. Very solid build quality, the Omron switches are really good too.

chzel

15 Apr 2018, 01:58

seebart wrote: Great thanks Hyper, good to see you around here. I have not been around for months myself.
I see webwit's dictatorship brought some of us back from the woods seebart!

seebart

15 Apr 2018, 18:12

chzel wrote:
seebart wrote: Great thanks Hyper, good to see you around here. I have not been around for months myself.
I see webwit's dictatorship brought some of us back from the woods seebart!
That's right but I can understand webwit's move, what's a club without active members. I reminisce back to the days of the people I looked up to like you and photekq and many others that are gone now. Cheers my friend !

scottc

15 Apr 2018, 23:56

I think many of us oldies have been in hiding for a while...

chzel

16 Apr 2018, 00:28

Maybe we should return a bit more often...I missed you guys...

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

16 Apr 2018, 01:33

I just returned a couple months ago myself. :)

Hypersphere

20 Apr 2018, 20:25

I've noticed from reviews that gamers tend to prefer lightweight mice. Although I am not a gamer, I have started to see advantages to using lighter mice. Moreover, I would prefer not to have LEDs or software. Perhaps the ultimate minimalist mouse is the FinalMouse Ultralight Pro:
finalmouse-ultralight-pro-50.png
finalmouse-ultralight-pro-50.png (131.16 KiB) Viewed 8436 times
https://shop.finalmouse.com/products/ul ... 7642524708

The FinalMouse Ultralight Pro weighs a mere 67 grams and has no LEDS or software. It does have presets of 400, 800, 1600 and 3200 dpi.

I have not yet tried the FinalMouse Ultralight Pro -- it is sold out everywhere I've looked. It is currently ranked #3 in the Rocket Jump Nija top 40 -- I often agree with his reviews, although his current top pick, the Steelseries 600, is too busy for my taste.

Just as I have begun to appreciate lighter mice, whereas I have formerly favored large mice, my current favorite, the Logitech G403, is the smallest in my present top three, which includes the Steelseries Rival 300 and Razer Deathadder Elite. That said, if I could improve upon the G403, I think I would prefer it to be slightly longer.

Some time ago, I tried the Cougar 550% and Cougar Revenger -- I liked their shape and large size, but the top surfaces of each had a slightly sticky feel that took them out of the running. Recently, they have introduced a smaller and redesigned version of the Revenger called the Revenger S. It is ranked 9th by Rocket Jump Ninja and has some negative reviews due largely to software issues that Cougar claims to have corrected. Based on the size, shape and weight, I think the Cougar Revenger S is worth a try. It is a tad longer and a bit heavier than the Logitech G403.
revenger-s.jpg
revenger-s.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 8436 times
https://cougargaming.com/us/products/mice/revenger_s/

Return to “Mice & other input devices”