Intellimouse questions

apastuszak

22 May 2018, 02:48

I am a big fan of the Microsoft Intellimouse. I just recently switched from using a Logitech MX Master 2S (which I returned to Staples) and switched to a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1 that I bought years ago and am very happy with it.

I wanted to get an Intellimouse Optical and went check out eBay. I found tons of different knockoff mice from China and whole lot of parts, such as cables and scroll wheels to fix the mouse you already have.

I bought an Intellimouse Optical, Intellimouse 20 and an Intellimouse 3.0, which I was reasonably sure were genuine, because they were old and very well used.

I decided to check out some videos on YouTube and a LOT of people were talking about Microsoft "outsourcing" production to China of the Intellimouse, and how eBay was the only source for a new Intellimouse these days.

Well, I'm pretty sure that's complete BS. The Intellimouse has been discontinued for a while now, and all the mice you're buying on eBay that are new in box, with a box that looks nothing like the original Intellimouse box are probably Chinese made counterfeits.

I am aware that MS has released a new Intellimouse Classic, based on the 3.0 shape, but with their new BlueTrack sensor. But I'm a vintage kind of guy. So, I prefer to get the old stuff.

My question really centers around spotting fake mice and when various Intellimouse models were discontinued. Internet posts say there is a 4 digit code to the right of the part number where the first two numbers are the week of the year and the second 2 numbers is the year the mouse was produced. But the Wheel Mouse Optical I have has a code of 0411. I know for sure this mouse was purchased way before 2011.

So, I'm confused on the best way to identify a real from a fake, and when production of the various models stopped.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”